First objects out of my electrolysis setup (update 10/22 - new items)

ATDigger

So here's my electro set up (sorry about the pics, I took them at night). It's pretty straightforward - I just wrapped a 5 gal bucket with expanded steel mesh and ran a bolt with washers through the side of the bucket to act as a single contact point. The object(s) is(are) then suspended by hooks or clamps in the water/washing soda solution. I'm using a manual Sears 12-volt, 2amp/10amp auto battery charger for power.

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

These are the first two items I did and I think they turned out pretty good. After electrolysis, I hit them with a wire brush then rinse and pat dry. I then drop them in a hot crock pot of melted paraffin. This serves the dual purpose of driving off the remaining water (the paraffin's hotter than the boiling point of water) as well as sealing the metal against future oxidation.

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

While I don't think the hatchet head is too old, the hinge strap (likely from a shutter) is definitely hand wrought. You can see where the iron was folded over and hammered together. It came out of the yard of an 1830s house.

Let me know what you think. And, as always, thanks for looking!!

After you clean them, they will begin rusting away very quickly if not preserved. You need to boil them in some parafin to seal and protect them now.

Also, be VERY careful with using a battery charger. That is pushing a lot of power and you can destroy small items very quickly. Larger steel items like these are pretty forgiving.

Good work on them, I like your setup.

It's a straight 12v charger with a 2 amp and a 10 amp setting. For the big iron items, I'm using the 10 amp setting. It works well but takes a little longer than I'd like. If I had one available, I'd like to try using a 50 amp charger just to see how it would do.

Here is the latest batch of items out of electrolysis:

IMG_3968.jpg

The small ring and pin were rusted together but now move freely.

IMG_3970.jpg

The strap came out great! It was one big crusty piece of metal...

IMG_3971.jpg

But as you can see, like the small ring above, the strap and buckle completely separated and now swing freely like it did when new!

Sorry - I didn't think to take any "before" photos. Maybe next time!

Very cool. I don't know how I missed this tread. I posted a few questions about using a crock pot for paraffin the other day in a new tread. Looks like its working just fine for you :) How hot does your crock pot get the paraffin? I'm thinking of doing this with a few cannonballs and grapeshot. I might bake the cannonballs in a oven then just give them a bath in the paraffin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Very cool. I don't know how I missed this tread. I posted a few questions about using a crock pot for paraffin the other day in a new tread. Looks like its working just fine for you :) How hot does your crock pot get the paraffin? I'm thinking of doing this with a few cannonballs and grapeshot. I might bake the cannonballs in a oven then just give them a bath in the paraffin

The paraffin is hotter than boiling water. It's great for driving off the extra water in the item without exposing it to the potential of flash rust. Not familiar with baking cannonballs :lol: Is it to loosen rust or do you mean after electrolysis? Either way, if you don't get all the rust off before you coat in paraffin, it will continue to rust under the paraffin.

EDIT: Just read your thread on the cannonballs. Baking them is definitely one option for drying them out, though you have to be careful they don't rust while they're drying (flash rust mostly). That's why I just give my items a quick rinse and wipe before dropping them in the paraffin.

Of course remember to be sure there's no potential for explosion when heating the cannonballs. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom