What is this?

chrisw61

Sorry -I'm new and posted this on the General thread. RE-posting here.
I found this in Virginia at a site where folks have probably lived off and on since at least the early 1900's. Maybe longer. I suspect that this is farm related. There is a hinge with a plate. The plate has punch outs. The two facing hooks at the top are held together with two cotter pins. Spent many hours Googling. no luck. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4294.JPG
    IMG_4294.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 331
Looks like an old time device used by farmers with cattle to wean calves. It goes in their nose to prevent suckling. "cut-outs" you see are probably where the metal was cut and a sharp tab bent outward. Kind of an udder irritator. Make the cow kick at the calf.

Looks like an old time device used by farmers with cattle to wean calves. It goes in their nose to prevent suckling. "cut-outs" you see are probably where the metal was cut and a sharp tab bent outward. Kind of an udder irritator. Make the cow kick at the calf.

Interesting theory. But plausible.....:yes:

You guys are close, it's used on calves, the plate had a couple sharper points that would point away from the calf. They used this on the calves to train them to eat elsewhere other than trying to suck.

Usually most animals will get a little rough or punch the bag with their nose to make sure the milf falls prior to starting to suck. Regardless when momma felt that plate with a couple points hit her bag it made her jump and walk away from the calf,not letting it feed.

Think they were called weaning ring.

Thank you!

That makes sense. The spot in Virginia where i live was once miles and miles of dairy farms. Now it's packed with houses...including mine. Fitting in the nose also makes sense - i couldn't figure how else you could hang anything off what looked like hooks with a gap in the middle. I'll Google that device. It seems like a pretty simple design so I'm guessing it didn't change much over the years so it would be hard to date. Thanks again! I like it even more now.

That makes sense. The spot in Virginia where i live was once miles and miles of dairy farms. Now it's packed with houses...including mine. Fitting in the nose also makes sense - i couldn't figure how else you could hang anything off what looked like hooks with a gap in the middle. I'll Google that device. It seems like a pretty simple design so I'm guessing it didn't change much over the years so it would be hard to date. Thanks again! I like it even more now.

There is a split and hinge in the bottom of the ring

ring

Yep - the two rings are separate pieces. Looks like you would take out one pin, swing the rings apart, then put the pin back in place once you got it in position. Can't believe the calf sits still for that!

Back
Top Bottom