Tried Electroylasis for the first time...need some oppinons

luked

so i tried this for the first time. got a glass the charger and some baking soda.
mixed the baking soda in stirred it up well. put the leads on a spoon and and old crusty token i have.
it did work but what i noticed was it took quite a while for much to happen.
the spoon would also get some bubbling on it as well as the token. the token did more bubbling but the spoon had more than i expected.
i had it all going for about an hour and it really didnt do as much as expected.
am i doing something wrong? i thought it would be quicker than it was and i never really noticed a huge "cloud" like some have talked about coming off the token.

any ideas would be a help

Is the positive lead going to your anode, which I assume is the spoon? (Don't use stainless for an anode)

Don't let the two items touch.

Washing soda works better IMO. Can't remember the ratio but there is one for soda to water. Also, what charger are you using? Old phone transformer or a auto battery charger?

Those smart car battery chargers will not work. Good luck!

it is washing soda im using
the charger is a 12v wall charger
the lead to the spoon im sure is the positive since it has a red stripe on the wire

i checked the spoon and there isnt any writing on it that says its stainless so im assuming its not

would something like a chunk of copper work better than the spoon?

I would use a piece of steel, forged steel or graphite from an old battery which is easily found in dumps.

My old electrolysis setup. I'm due to make a new one since this one shorted out after a male mosquito flew in the water.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=166345

I didn't do any iron because it takes forever. Here's a few tips for old brass buttons and coins. Limit the time you have these items in electrolysis. 3-5 min tops. Pull them out and clean with a toothbrush and baking powder. Use a toothpick also. If needed, place back into electrolysis until desired look is accomplished. If you leave them in too long you will actually change the color. The button in my electrolysis was one of the oldest buttons I've found. It now has a purple look to it.

Here is a pic of a very basic setup that I sometimes use for smaller pieces.

Take notice to a couple of things in this pic:

1) I'm using a trickle charger purchased from Harbor Freight

2) that is a plastic peanut butter jar as the tank

3) it is two bolts going through the lid with nuts under and over the lid on each bolt to keep the bolts from touching each other. (Side note: the bolts are stainless steel, but I just put this together to show you another way of making a tank)

4) at the bottom of the bolt that the negative cable is connected to I secured a small piece of wire with an alligator clip to hold the piece needing cleaned

5) at the top of the lid I drilled a couple of breather holes to prevent pressure build up (not sure if it would, but I played it safe just in case).

I hope this helps anyone trying to figure it out.

Also, this is the very first time I used a trickle charger so I'm not sure how well it will work, if at all. But like I said, I just through this together to show everyone the possibilities.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 333
The stainless will work fine in an electrolysis set up. It is true that SS can create Chromium gas if heated but it electrolysis does not generate enough heat or energy to cause problems. If you are welding or torching SS you can cause problems. I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel lined with SS I have used to clean vintage cast iron cookware for years. SS is good because it lasts a lot longer in an electrolysis unit. I set mine up 5 or 6 years ago (can't remember when) and it has cleaned hundreds of pieces and has never been replaced.

As for you specific piece it depends on the amperage to the piece that determines how fast it goes. In my set up that depends on the size. I have a battery charger that has a 2 amp and 10 amp output. I set it at 10 amps all the time. If I have a small skillet in there it will only show about 2-5 amps. Even on the 10 amp setting if I put a large piece in it (10-14 inches) it will output approximately 20 amps. My charger has a gauge on it, not sure how you would know hoy many amps your power source is putting out.

How did you determine that it was a male?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've always been told the huge mosquitos were males. Now after you said this i looked it up. Looks like I was told wrong. lol Now i'm not sure what it was that flew into the water. It looked like a giant mosquito.

The stainless will work fine in an electrolysis set up. It is true that SS can create Chromium gas if heated but it electrolysis does not generate enough heat or energy to cause problems. If you are welding or torching SS you can cause problems. I have a 55 gallon plastic barrel lined with SS I have used to clean vintage cast iron cookware for years. SS is good because it lasts a lot longer in an electrolysis unit. I set mine up 5 or 6 years ago (can't remember when) and it has cleaned hundreds of pieces and has never been replaced.

As for you specific piece it depends on the amperage to the piece that determines how fast it goes. In my set up that depends on the size. I have a battery charger that has a 2 amp and 10 amp output. I set it at 10 amps all the time. If I have a small skillet in there it will only show about 2-5 amps. Even on the 10 amp setting if I put a large piece in it (10-14 inches) it will output approximately 20 amps. My charger has a gauge on it, not sure how you would know hoy many amps your power source is putting out.

You can't remember because the fumes ate your brain

I've always been told the huge mosquitos were males. Now after you said this i looked it up. Looks like I was told wrong. lol Now i'm not sure what it was that flew into the water. It looked like a giant mosquito.

I'll bet it was a crane fly:

crane_fly_mosquito_hawk.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can't remember because the fumes ate your brain
LOL

It was 2011 when I set my electro up for the first time. Still using it today in the same format with same SS. Here is a pic when I first set it up.

As far as the mosquito goes I wouldn't think that would cause your problems. I have stuck my hands in my electro before while it was working and I felt nothing and it didn't impact what it was doing.

LOL

As far as the mosquito goes I wouldn't think that would cause your problems. I have stuck my hands in my electro before while it was working and I felt nothing and it didn't impact what it was doing.

I agree, and I've had my hand in my tank as well

I agree, and I've had my hand in my tank as well

Maybe it just shorted out on its own and when i checked it the bug was inside. Yall got me wanting to make another one just to put my hand inside. haha. No thank you!

Back
Top Bottom