meteorites

firewxman

Forum Supporter
Hi everyone...Newbie here....

Does anyone detect for meteorites...can it be done...what should one listen for.

Thanks everyone...sorry if these are dumb questions

Cheers

Something I've always wanted to do.

I believe there are a couple of threads on the subject.

Well you need to hunt in all metal because the majority of the majority of meteorites are made of iron. That means you need to hunt in an area as free of trash as possible. Doesn't hurt to be a known debris field. Try hunting along old farming field fence lines. All rocks in the fields have been chunked there forever by farmer. Any detector will work, even a strong magnet on a stick. Welcome to forum and good luck!

I'm sure all of us would like to find a meteorite, but I can't say I have actually gone out and hunted for one specifically. I think it is kinda a geographical thing. people in the desert or living on glaciers have a much better chance of finding them, usually visually.

The following link describes hunting them with magnets. I believe it is quite a few post down the thread.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=38370&highlight=slag

I'm sure there are tons of videos of it on YouTube! I saw a guy in Arizona that has MDs strapped to a 4-wheeler and he drives around the dunes listening for signals. I think he says that meteorites go for about $1,000 a pound.

thanks for the advice

Hello everyone

Many thanks for all the advice...I have found some great sites on the internet...where there are suppose to be meteorite debris. Thanks to all again!:)

Yep.. lots of sites on the internet.. google is your friend... and yes, they do sell for a nice bit of change. There are several threads here and on other MD forums about this topic. I would suggest looking at pictures (many sites have them) so you are more familiar with their appearance should you find one. I have not tried this, but it is on my list to do at some point. Perhaps when my 'treasure/cache' fever dies down. :lol: RickO

Back
Top Bottom