Have heard where some of you after ground balanceing your detector yall are then bumping up the ground balance number up or down a few numbers.... But

Using negative ground balance, helps detect silver and copper deeper in the ground.

I always thought it was positive that runs the detector hotter. I definitely wouldn't be on this topic though as I've always used a detector with an automatic gb.

There are some threads on the ATpro working better/deeper with neg balance but not sure. Ive been meaning to test that when my wife is with me using hers. Mine is just auto ground balance.

<ine has auto ground balance as well but I also have the option of manually raising or lowering my ground balance settings after I do a automatic fast bgrab balance on my f75.

On the AT PRO I use negative ground balance all the time, I have not tried it on the F75 LTD yet, because I haven't had that detector very long.

I always ran my F75 with the ground balance set at 65. The Omega will grab at around 65, but I usually lower it to 50-55, and on the beach set it in the 40's. Whatever your ground grabs at, lower it by 10-15 #'s and see if you get better depth.

I always thought it was positive that runs the detector hotter. I definitely wouldn't be on this topic though as I've always used a detector with an automatic gb.
It actually depends on the machine. On an Xterra, the higher the Ground Phase number the milder the ground, so if you want to fool the machine into treating the ground as being hotter you have to lower the GB. On the 705 you have the option of Tracking with an offset.

I always ran my F75 with the ground balance set at 65. The Omega will grab at around 65, but I usually lower it to 50-55, and on the beach set it in the 40's. Whatever your ground grabs at, lower it by 10-15 #'s and see if you get better depth.

have a good location to try this thanks.

Here is what I heard about the AT Pro ( I think on this forum) and I've been working on trying to test out this theory, when winter interrupted me:

If you: use the Auto Ground Balance, and see where it balances so that it's stable, then:
--Increase the balance-- this makes it more sensitive to LOWER conductivity targets, meaning you can find smaller low conductivity items (small lead bullets, small gold, iron relics, etc. or deeper low conductivity items)
--Decrease the ground balance-- this makes it more sensitive to HIGHER conductivity targets, meaning you can find smaller or deeper silver and other high conductors.

Please, anyone with more experience than me, if I am misstating or misunderstanding something, let us all know. I am far from an expert and am still learning my AT Pro. I will have had it for a year this Spring.

According to page 32 in the AT pro manual..." ...you may want to use the manual ground balance function to ground balance slightly positive to enhance detection of small targets or balance slightly negative to reduce detection of " hot rocks " terra cotta and saltwater."

Adjusting your ground balance to the negative has more to do with stabilizing the detector in a high iron or trashy environment. Adjusting to the positive helps pick up small targets and could " possibly" increase your depth a little but if you are in trashy or iron rich soil it makes the detector less stable and more noisy. Ground balancing tunes the detector to your particular soil and going negative helps reduce interference from high mineralization , going positive makes the detector a little more sensitive but depending on your location or soil type you may just be making the detector more noisy than you would like. Especially with the AT pro because you already hear everything in the ground. I dont see how setting to the negative can help get better depth since what you are doing is essentially making the detector "less" sensitive meaning it takes more to set the detector off.

With it not being a threshold based detector or having a true All Metal mode, how can you say that he hears everything? :?:

Haha! .... Ok correction , it "seems" like you already hear everything in the ground. Believe it or not i wasnt trying to be literal. Everyone who has used an AT pro knows how talkative they already are even when ground balanced right. Was a figure of speech.

Slightly positive for smaller/deeper....slightly negative for minerals/salt.hot-cold rocks and iron....gl and hh!!!

According to page 32 in the AT pro manual..." ...you may want to use the manual ground balance function to ground balance slightly positive to enhance detection of small targets or balance slightly negative to reduce detection of " hot rocks " terra cotta and saltwater."

Adjusting your ground balance to the negative has more to do with stabilizing the detector in a high iron or trashy environment.

Adjusting to the positive helps pick up small targets and could " possibly" increase your depth a little but if you are in trashy or iron rich soil it makes the detector less stable and more noisy. Ground balancing tunes the detector to your particular soil and going negative helps reduce interference from high mineralization , going positive makes the detector a little more sensitive but depending on your location or soil type you may just be making the detector more noisy than you would like. Especially with the AT pro because you already hear everything in the ground. I dont see how setting to the negative can help get better depth since what you are doing is essentially making the detector "less" sensitive meaning it takes more to set the detector off.

That is why I do it. Pretty much everywhere I go my AT's auto GB at 88 to 92.
I set the GB at 86 no matter where I am and just call it good. The AT runs hot anyway so finding the most stability for how I'm hunting is where I want to be.

And you're right with the AT Pro wide open you hear every bit of metal in it's detecting range. People call it chattery but that's how much trash is in the ground when you are hearing every speck of birdshot and foil.

Using negative ground balance gets you deeper !!!!!!
As far as hearing every thing in the ground with the AT PRO it won't happen.
If you are using a DFX you can set it so you can hear most every thing in the ground.

Using negative ground balance gets you deeper !!!!!!
As far as hearing every thing in the ground with the AT PRO it won't happen.
If you are using a DFX you can set it so you can hear most every thing in the ground.

Uh huh. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom