New MD, third hit, found gold..

Wow! I am using the ace 250 also, Did it show as a pull tab?

Since it was my first day ever with any type of MD, I had this one set on all metal sensitivity all bars showing but two (default?).. It did show up exactly where the pull tab icon is on the ID BAR.. Good solid loud beep.. I wasn't able to pin point it properly (lack of experience) but found it after digging a 4 inch square hole in the sand.. Now I know how to pinpoint so it would be easier next time.. ;)

Suffice to say, if I had discriminated the pull tab signal I might have missed this one entirely.. So thus far, I scan in custom mode with only 2 or three bars on the left discriminated..

I went out this evening after the crowds vacated the beaches and picked up some more coins for tomorrow's coffee.. I was behind another detectorist who wasn't filling in his holes on the beach and rounded up an extra 2.56 in coins from his holes..

The day after I bought my first MD, a Garrett Ace 250, I went to a State Park near where I am vacationing in the Florida Panhandle and went for a slow stroll on the beach. Armed with the knowledge and info gleaned from various Youtube videos, I started my first ever metal detecting search. The first two hits earned me two nice twist ties but the third hit got me this nice little MOM ring (reads 10KP inside). It looks to have little glass stones in the heart.

Most likely it could be the only 'jewellery' or gold I will ever find it's my first ;)

the rest of the day was spent finding various pennies and dimes and cleaning up a messy beach.. enjoying every scoop full as the day whiled away..

Not sure if this qualifies as an "oh wow" moment but it's a good one for me.

Sweet

I'd bet dollars to nickles (not really, but it's a nice turn-of-phrase) that those are real diamonds. Diamond chips like that sell for only about $0.60 to a point (1/100 carat). By adding them, they can call it "gold and diamonds" and sell it for a LOT more...

I'd bet dollars to nickles (not really, but it's a nice turn-of-phrase) that those are real diamonds. Diamond chips like that sell for only about $0.60 to a point (1/100 carat). By adding them, they can call it "gold and diamonds" and sell it for a LOT more...

I'll have it checked out at home and let you know what it turns out to be..

I see in your tag line that you have a Nels coil with your AT detector.. Can you give me a quick info ref to whether I should be looking at one of those (DD coil) or a Sniper Coil for my Ace 250?

Cheers

That's a beauty, Congrats! Will you sell your finds or keep them?
That would be an easy E bay sale a couple weeks before mothers day.
Myself I can't seem to part with them, kinda like little trophies. :grin:
Hope you find the next one soon! HH.

I'll have it checked out at home and let you know what it turns out to be..

I see in your tag line that you have a Nels coil with your AT detector.. Can you give me a quick info ref to whether I should be looking at one of those (DD coil) or a Sniper Coil for my Ace 250?

Cheers

When you're ready to upgrade from the ACE, I recommend you upgrade right to an AT Pro, or other mid-range device. Sure, you can drop another $200 on a coil for the ACE250, but you'll get a lot more if you take that $200, sell the ACE250, and upgrade the whole device. You could move to an ACE400, but again, if you've got the bug, I recommend the upgrade to the full package.

I started with the ACE series as well (my son ran the ACE250, and I ran the ACE350), then I upgraded to the AT Pro. My son saved his clad, and upgraded his to the AT Pro, too. I upgraded my first stock AT Pro DD coil to an NEL Hunter, and the next year, I upgraded to the NEL Thunder.

My AT Pro got a crack in the screen (traveling overseas and I didn't protect it well enough from the metal scoop in the bag!)... and this year, I upgraded it to an AT Max. The AT Pro works fine, still, it's just not waterproof (or rather, I'm not willing to test it, with the crack. :wow: )

Bottom line, ACE250 is a GREAT entry machine, and is fantastic for finding out if you love the hobby or not. But you'll get a lot more for your money if you upgrade the whole package.

Cheers!

Skippy

Since it was my first day ever with any type of MD, I had this one set on all metal sensitivity all bars showing but two (default?).. It did show up exactly where the pull tab icon is on the ID BAR.. Good solid loud beep.. I wasn't able to pin point it properly (lack of experience) but found it after digging a 4 inch square hole in the sand.. Now I know how to pinpoint so it would be easier next time.. ;)

Suffice to say, if I had discriminated the pull tab signal I might have missed this one entirely.. So thus far, I scan in custom mode with only 2 or three bars on the left discriminated..

I went out this evening after the crowds vacated the beaches and picked up some more coins for tomorrow's coffee.. I was behind another detectorist who wasn't filling in his holes on the beach and rounded up an extra 2.56 in coins from his holes..
Yes coin mode wont hit rings so I run in Jewelry that Picks up ring in my air test... All metal will also do the job in parks you might get sick of digging trash innless your after relics

Congrats on the beach gold, and may your future beach hunts be equally productive! I may have to make it down to the beach to try *my* beginner's luck!

That's a beauty, Congrats! Will you sell your finds or keep them?
That would be an easy E bay sale a couple weeks before mothers day.
Myself I can't seem to part with them, kinda like little trophies. :grin:
Hope you find the next one soon! HH.

I'll get the ring appraised at home and see what it's worth but will keep it as a "lookit what I found on first ever day dirt fishing" item in a Florida 2018 trophy box ;)

When you're ready to upgrade from the ACE, I recommend you upgrade right to an AT Pro, or other mid-range device. Sure, you can drop another $200 on a coil for the ACE250, but you'll get a lot more if you take that $200, sell the ACE250, and upgrade the whole device. You could move to an ACE400, but again, if you've got the bug, I recommend the upgrade to the full package.

I started with the ACE series as well (my son ran the ACE250, and I ran the ACE350), then I upgraded to the AT Pro. My son saved his clad, and upgraded his to the AT Pro, too. I upgraded my first stock AT Pro DD coil to an NEL Hunter, and the next year, I upgraded to the NEL Thunder.

My AT Pro got a crack in the screen (traveling overseas and I didn't protect it well enough from the metal scoop in the bag!)... and this year, I upgraded it to an AT Max. The AT Pro works fine, still, it's just not waterproof (or rather, I'm not willing to test it, with the crack. :wow: )

Bottom line, ACE250 is a GREAT entry machine, and is fantastic for finding out if you love the hobby or not. But you'll get a lot more for your money if you upgrade the whole package.

Cheers!

Skippy

Thanks Skippy! If an AT Pro was available when i went out to purchase one locally I was going to pick it up (go big or stay home) hence why I picked the ACE 250. But I think that after this season, if all goes well, I may switch it up to the AT Max.. Where I live it can be that 4 season hobby I'd be looking for..

So, in your opinion, would JUST the AT MAX default coil suffice or would one be looking for another add on coil to make it the full package!?

Thanks again!

That is a GREAT first outing MDing!! You are hooked now!!!:bling::mder::urock:
Hope ya find more goodies!!

Thanks! I hope to be back out on the beaches back home digging and filling holes on the beach again soon... ;) Cold weather coat, boots and heavy pants.. and just one more bottle cap on the horizon waiting for me ;)

Markings

Greetings, now that I am back home in bleak cold wet windy Nova Scotia after my recent trip to Florida (lots of colours, warm, beaches.. warm... sigh) I had a chance to look over my gold ring find (10KP MOM ring) and saw an additional stamp after the 10KP that has VIP or V1P inside a diamond shape.. I had seen a posting earlier where a member had a listing as to what some of these markings actually mean or denotes the company that makes various jewellery, but can't find that article..

Would anyone know anything about the VIP or V1P stamp inside a diamond shape?

Thanks in advance..

Cheers

Now you're hooked!

Just waiting on the weather ;)

the recent storm surge and winds stripped all the sand away from the beaches I was planning on visiting later on, nothing but softball size rocks rolling up and down the beach with the waves.. and up onto the roads.. you have to see it to believe it up here at times.. fun!!

I already ordered a pinpointed (carrot stick) to make life easier ;)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom