First Permission of the year 1848 Large Cent & 1876 Indian

wispool

Was on my way to Milwaukee last week and saw a guy doing yard work. I stopped and asked if I could detect his yard. He said yes; and while you are at it you can help me pick up sticks... I picked up 3 wheelbarrows of sticks the first day and did a little detecting. Next day I came back and just detected. First day, 1905 nickel in poor shape, 1928 dime. He finally mowed the front yard so I started there. He was in the yard all of the time and I would show him each coin. He originally told me anything I find is mine unless I find gold coins, then we would have to split it. Each one I would find he's say good for you! Then when I found the large cent he asked if I would sell them for their market value. I plan to bring them to the monthly club meeting next month and probably give them to him after that... The only one I hate to part with is the Indian head. 1876 is a key date coin. It is in fantastic shape although I put a tiny scrape on the back digging it

Attachments

• DSC00510.JPG
    DSC00510.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 518
  • DSC00511.JPG
    DSC00511.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 527
  • DSC00512.JPG
    DSC00512.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 494
A bit lame to go back on his word, especially after doing yard work. He might have the impression that the coins are more valuable than they really are. If he wants the money, then why not just pay him for half of the value of the coins IN DUG CONDITION and you get to keep them? Have somebody at a coin shop, or one of your coin club buddies, write up and sign an estimate of what they're worth.

It sounds like a good permission, but I'd get the terms nice and straight before doing any more digging....or picking up any more sticks.

Last edited:
That's awesome! Sounds like a great permission, even though the guy is going back on his word a bit. I'm not aware of hardly any large cents being found here in WI.

I really need to stop being so shy and start door-knocking. Clearly this is where most of the good stuff is!

That's awesome! Sounds like a great permission, even though the guy is going back on his word a bit. I'm not aware of hardly any large cents being found here in WI.

I really need to stop being so shy and start door-knocking. Clearly this is where most of the good stuff is!

I’m just south of Madison and have found 4 LCs in public places Bleu...and know of several others people have found. More than likely, most have been found in public places already because they act exactly like quarter and are pretty damn hard to miss. Oldest I have is 1844...

Congrats on the excellent finds! The large cent, Indian head, & silvers especially look to be in great condition. :clapping:

Back
Top Bottom