New Member looking for insight on modern detectors

Smokewagon1873

Hello! I'm a new member from Smyrna, GA. Just a few minutes drive from the new Atlanta Braves home at Sun Trust Park! Chop on!

I started detecting when I was a teenager, back in 1981 with a Garrett Deep Scan TR-Discriminator that I purchased from The Prospector's Cache in Englewood, Colorado! I still have the original box and the unit and my old Garrett continues to deliver.

I also have a like new Fisher M-Scope 1265X with the standard 8" concentric coil that was manufactured in 1986 and was, in it's day, a top of the line device. I say "like new" because it was purchased at a garage sale in it's original box unused.

This is a recent acquisition but I've been having much success with this machine and believe it's a big upgrade over my entry level Garrett. While there aren't a lot of YouTube Videos on the 1265X, what I have found is very positive and complimentary. Most people talk about how deep it detects and I'd say thus far I'd agree. I've seen it compared to some modern machines and it seems to perform favorably.

However, I am fascinated by the newer technology, especially the Minelab Equinox 600 & 800 units. I can't help but wonder how much better they might be than my Fisher with their multi frequency technology and multiple coil choices? If there are any of you out there with multiple units or who may have used a Fisher 1265X in the past and can share some insight, I'd very much welcome it! I would consider a new device if I thought it was a significant upgrade but prefer not to spend the money if it's just fancier bells and whistles.

Cheers!

Welcome aboard SmokeWagon! I have NOT used the model you mention, but I can assure you that the detectors of today are MUCH more than just “extras”. The added functions and ability to change a lot of things is great but particularly in the arena of COIN hunting, multi-frequency machines have a superior ability to IDENTIFY a coin as such. Because the Minelabs are analyzing a Target with multiple frequencies simultaneously, a much more accurate picture can be painted. This is true of the Minelab FBS units such as the Explorer, eTrac and CTX, which runs what is called FBS2. Multi freq machines mentioned also have the ability to deal with ground mineralization and adverse conditions which translates into more accurate target ID when hunting coins in the 6-11” range. Lastly, EMI has become a very real problem with all kinds of frequencies coming from everywhere these days it seems. Again, the above mentioned machines, along with the Equinox, have numerous “sets” of frequencies on 11 different channels in order to mitigate EMI. Basically, they are “shifting” the frequency set up or down to try to find the range which has the least interference. All of these things, along with being speedy and lightweight would transform your hunting in a good way I’m sure. No, I don’t sell them. Yes, I do have the Equinox, CTX and an Explorer. THESE types of technology are what provide RESULTS, and in the end, that’s what we are all looking for.
BEFORE you make a purchase, PM me for a hot tip!:yes:

Welcome Smoke. I am east of you in Peachtree Corners. I sold my AT Pro for a Nox 800. The AT Pro is still a very good machine used by thousands of detectorists for good reasons. Your detectors were good in their day, but that day has passed and and hunted sites are more challenging today. The 800 can unlock some of those hidden targets that others have missed.

But my 800 is much more capable than the AT Pro based on my experience.

Keep your old machines and bring them out to hunt volley ball courts just for fun. But use the 800 for your real challenges. I also suspect the 800 will force you to learn more about the skills of metal detecting like it did for me.

What type of hunting will you be doing? Lake, beach, civil war, parks?

Welcome Smoke. I am east of you in Peachtree Corners. I sold my AT Pro for a Nox 800. The AT Pro is still a very good machine used by thousands of detectorists for good reasons. Your detectors were good in their day, but that day has passed and and hunted sites are more challenging today. The 800 can unlock some of those hidden targets that others have missed.

But my 800 is much more capable than the AT Pro based on my experience.

Keep your old machines and bring them out to hunt volley ball courts just for fun. But use the 800 for your real challenges. I also suspect the 800 will force you to learn more about the skills of metal detecting like it did for me.

What type of hunting will you be doing? Lake, beach, civil war, parks?
Thanks to everyone for the kind welcome. Most of my day to day detecting has been in school yards, church yards and parks. But living in Georgia with the Civil War history, the gold mining in the mountains and with my children living in Florida beach towns, I'm hoping I'll be doing a little bit of all of it. I really want an all around machine and I'm willing to buy multiple coils (over time) if necessary for more specialized work. I'm not infinitely wealthy so I want to get it right. I was interested in the Equinox units as they seem to have all the most modern technology but are still in a price range I'm comfortable with. I was at the beach over the July 4th weekend and ran into a guy who said he had 5 units and wanted to sell his CTX 3030 for $1500 which I knew was about a thousand less than they sell new. But what I couldn't help but notice is that day he was swinging the 600. Why? If the CTX was as great a machine as he was saying, why was he using the 600? Lighter weight? Or better results? Also very interested in the XP Deus. More money than I am really comfortable spending, but people seem to rave about it. Is it better than the 800? How would I know without the opportunity to use and learn? That's why feedback from kind folks like yourselves is so helpful. I really appreciate it.

If you can watch the videos by Calabash digger he compares Xp Deus and Equinox and At pro detectors. Also I believe makro/Nokta .

Suggesting Calabash digger was good advice. He does a solid job of demonstrating the strengths and weaknesses of each device and it was very clear to me that having multiple audio tones and a vdi could be extremely helpful. My old Fisher goes deep for sure but I dig a TON of junk. More, I think, than I did with my old Garrett. Some of that is on me, though, as it's still a new machine to me and I'm learning how to use the discrimination and how to interpret the audio. I have a lot to learn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom