I’m Down Wit OCC!(Wisconsin Old Coin Contest)

Congrats to Bill(Wispool) for currently having the oldest coin yet...1848 LC! He will cross post over here when he sees this...hopefully!:yes:

Hopefully he will I told him about the contest. He’s a member of my club. He’s been killing it since he got his nox and also got into some good tear outs which certainly doesn’t hurt regardless of your machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MY finds Large Cent Indian and ....

I think of myself as fairly computer savvy but found it kind of confusing trying to post my finds for this Wisconsin coin contest where I'm told they need to be to qualify. I don't know why but I get confused by threads, posts, etc. ... Anyway, details of my finds are in other threads, now adding pictures here in this one. One of the members posting said research research research to find the old coins. Many times I spent way longer researching than searching and found very little. This time I just saw the guy in his yard, it wasn't until he told me some history of his property that I did my research. And by the time I found dates associated with the property I hunted I had already found the coins. I plan to go back one more time since it has rained, and see if I've missed anything. If you've seen these coins on other threads sorry for the redundancy. Once the weather cools a bit I hope to have something else to post but it is unlikely to be this old...

Attachments

• Large and Indian.JPG
    Large and Indian.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 363
  • Large and indian back.JPG
    Large and indian back.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 393
So sorry Bill! (Wispool) 1847 Large Cent

Here is my entry for the contest. This is my first ever large cent. It took me by surprise as I almost passed on it. I had not encountered a coin showing a 33-37 on the Nox 600 before. Plenty of 39's though which I always pass on.

Not as nice looking as Wispool's Large cent but certainly a qualifier.

This is from a Milwaukee County park. A former sledding hill and before that farm land I assume. My former oldest was an 1861 fattie IHP found 38 years ago.

Deeper (Jim)

Attachments

• Large Cent.jpg
    Large Cent.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Large cent reverse.jpg
    Large cent reverse.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 337
That is a BEAUTY Jim! And you are now indeed leading the contest by exactly one year! This is how difficult it is to get back to the mid 1800’s around here, as you know from hunting as long as you have. For others, especially the east coast contingent...it might be an everyday thing. But here, it’s TOUGH! They’re either just blindly missed(not common), on private land or stupidly deep! My buddy Wayne (what’s buried) has 2 LCs, both 1855. The first he dug about 2-3” deep, I was there. The second was a bare minimum of 11”, just a ridiculously deep hole that I also saw in person. IF a person can learn how to hunt DE-E-E-E-P....it opens up many more possibilities, because ALOT of coins are JUST out of reach to the casual hunter.
Enough rambling! Jim! You da man! Congrats on a great find!

Thanks IDX,
This one was only about six inches deep and rang out.

Most of my hunting occurs on park land and as you probably know these parks in Milwaukee have been hammered by thousands over the years. In order to find anything of interest you have to get off the beaten path, away from the picnic areas and other trashy sites. I have done some research to find where people used to congregate, but more importantly, I have developed a bond with my Nox and it’s 15 inch coil.

Thanks too for starting this contest!

That is a BEAUTY Jim! And you are now indeed leading the contest by exactly one year! This is how difficult it is to get back to the mid 1800’s around here, as you know from hunting as long as you have. For others, especially the east coast contingent...it might be an everyday thing. But here, it’s TOUGH! They’re either just blindly missed(not common), on private land or stupidly deep! My buddy Wayne (what’s buried) has 2 LCs, both 1855. The first he dug about 2-3” deep, I was there. The second was a bare minimum of 11”, just a ridiculously deep hole that I also saw in person. IF a person can learn how to hunt DE-E-E-E-P....it opens up many more possibilities, because ALOT of coins are JUST out of reach to the casual hunter.
Enough rambling! Jim! You da man! Congrats on a great find!

Wow 😮 . I’m about 28 years out of this game .
My pennies are way to small.
Congratulations on all the finds .
Thank you again Kev for sponsoring such a classy and challenging event.
,Dew

Congrats Jim on taking over the lead in the contest. Not very easy to locate the old history in this state but there is some out there. Looking forward to seeing further finds from you in the future. Trapper

Congratulations Jim, nice coin! It is exciting to find the old coins. Maybe this will motivate me to get out in September but I know finding these is a long shot. I've been slacking this month.

Sorry Jim, but I found something tonight that is a bit older...

Here is a link to the long juicy story:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=276505

I have not been hunting much, nor have I been finding anything very old, so this 200-year old (with a date) came as a total shock!

The best part is that it was only about 2 inches deep:D

Attachments

• 9-9-19 goodies.jpg
    9-9-19 goodies.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 9-9-19 1819 Largie obv.jpg
    9-9-19 1819 Largie obv.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 267
  • 9-9-19 1819 Largie rev.jpg
    9-9-19 1819 Largie rev.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 257
I'm gonna let you cheeseheads in on a long lost , contest winning , location , that's no longer a secret ! Hint : go to the coffin corner of the Packers stadium and swing that coil. You must only go when the Packers lose to break the curse. Only then , will Jimmy Hoffa release your reward ! I expect many opportunities to detect after these home games , best to make friends with the groundskeepers ...GL...Your winning coin awaits !

Wow!!! Matt, that is incredible! Congratulations! That coin was minted 29 years before Wisconsin became a state.

Wow!!! Matt, that is incredible! Congratulations! That coin was minted 29 years before Wisconsin became a state.
Thanks!
Geez, Matt! You're making it tough, yet making it look easy, simultaneously!
Awesome find there. Surprisingly good condition! Nice Indians too. :yes:
I dug over 100 targets easily
Wow, congrats on the 200 year old Large Cent...excellent dig!
Thanks Captain! I never dug so much copper without silver...

Congrats Matt. I came home from a hunt with Air force Mike thinking I might have dug a winner yesterday with a 1939 Seated Dime but yours easily tops it by 20 years. It was the only Silver we dug. Trapper

HOLY HOLY HOLY $#&@!!!! When I first saw that I thought it was silver! It’s crazy what different soil conditions do, they must have used a slightly different mix of metal back then too. What a find Matt, you must have just about fainted! Milwaukee has produced some of the oldest we’ve seen around here, people just got there before a lot of the outlying communities came about. That is a crazy old coin, we are going to have to pull a rabbit to come anywhere close! Congrats on the oldest yet and the other finds that have been showing up over there!

Back
Top Bottom