Barber On The Half Shell

TNTGross

Elite Member
I work pretty much every Saturday in the summer, and when I get done, it is normally time to hang out with the Misses. But yesterday, she was out with friends so I grabbed the Nox and headed out. I have a couple of places I want to hunt, but they are a bit of a drive and I wanted to spend my time hunting, not driving, so I headed to a park that I have avoided because I was told by fellow hunters that it was hunted out.

Funny thing is, the park is in sections, broken up by streets. I had a section I wanted to hunt and took some back streets to get to it. When I got to where I thought I wanted to be, I got out of the truck, grabbed what I needed, and headed into the park only to find I was in the wrong section.

As I was all set up to hunt, and not wanting to walk all the way back to the truck, I figured I might as well hunt where I was at instead of trying to find where I wanted to be.

It is a good thing I did... Here I am, in the wrong part of the hunted out park just waisting time till the wife gets home and within two minutes of firing up the Nox, I get a solid 33-34 ringing in my ears.

I have had that signal before only to dig up a large washer or a plumbing nut, so I wasn't expecting much. I flipped my shovel over and stuck the point in the dirt. Trying to push the tip into the soil wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. It is very common in these parts to have a layer of topsoil covering or mixed with oyster shells. That was the case here.

When I broke up the soil and shells enough to pull it out by hand, I got down on one knee and started scooping it out. When I got to a bit of depth, I pulled out the pinpointer and jabbed it into the hole. It started ringing right off the bat. Even with my glasses on, in bright sunlight, I couldn't see what the pinpointer was reacting to.

The pinpointer was going crazy, so I knew that I was right on it. I reached in and pulled out another handful of dirt and shells and my first ever Barber Half Dollar.

I knew what I was looking at, but I couldn't believe my eyes. A 1907 Barber Half Dollar!!!

A bit later, I found a 1960 quarter, a 1924 Buff, a couple of old rabies tags and a bit of clad.

After I got it home, I cleaned it and a couple of other coins that I have, just to see if I could. Used salt, baking soda, vinegar, and hot water mix. Soaked for a couple of hours then pulled them out and scrubbed the coins between my fingers with baking soda. That took the oxidation right off...

Attachments

• 1907 Barber Half Dollar.jpg
    1907 Barber Half Dollar.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 533
  • 7-13-19 hunt 01 (2).jpg
    7-13-19 hunt 01 (2).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 500
  • 7-13-19 hunt 02 (2).jpg
    7-13-19 hunt 02 (2).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 504
  • Barber Half 01 (2).jpg
    Barber Half 01 (2).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 474
  • Barber Half 02 (2).jpg
    Barber Half 02 (2).jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 517
What part of the world are you hunting? That rabies tag is from New Orleans. I know exactly where that place is (was?). Cool finds.

Cliff

What part of the world are you hunting? That rabies tag is from New Orleans. I know exactly where that place is (was?). Cool finds.

Cliff

I'm in Jacksonville Fl. I did look it up and was a bit befuddled to find that Magazine St. is in New Orleans. Ya'll must take your dogs for very long walks.

I'm in Jacksonville Fl. I did look it up and was a bit befuddled to find that Magazine St. is in New Orleans. Ya'll must take your dogs for very long walks.
I've never taken my dog for that long of a walk. Lol That's what I love about this hobby, you never know what will be in the next plug.

Cliff

I grew up about 60 miles from N.O. and spent a lot of time there on the weekends in the early 70's. Then I got older and a bit smarter and didn't go near as often. I wish I would have been into detecting at that time.

Cliff

I grew up about 60 miles from N.O. and spent a lot of time there on the weekends in the early 70's. Then I got older and a bit smarter and didn't go near as often. I wish I would have been into detecting at that time.

Cliff

I know the feeling. I keep seeing places around here that back in the day I could have hunted but now they are off-limits or no longer accessible.

Wow. Great find! Those sweet 34s on the Nox, for me, are either half dollars or copper pipe rings. Glad that one was the real deal. Congrats on your first!

Amazing finds. Are the shell middens from modern or prehistoric times?
This park has a creek running through it that I think was more of a swamp creek back in the day. I think they filled it in a bit to increase the parkland area. So, I believe they used oyster shell fill to raise it up and streamline the creek. The oyster shells were very bleached and old.

WOW, that's a great little hunt! I recall reading a post a while ago about old finds in the oyster shell layer in FL. Think it may have been that awesome old pocket watch with emerald hour markers. Anyway, there's old stuff in them shells! Congrats!

Major congrats!
A year ago I got permission to hunt an empty lot on the St Johns river (I’m also in Jax). Unfortunately it hadn’t been mowed in YEARS and fallen tree limbs from the hurricanes were everywhere. The weeds were chest high and very thick so swinging could only be done in small areas and patches. Found a lot of trash and nothing else.
Finally, exhausted I was ready to leave when I saw I’d somehow missed 2 HUGE oak trees in the middle of the lot and forced myself to search around them. Literally had to push my way through and there were even more limbs to contend with. Nothing under the first and I was completing my route around the second when I got a solid 90 on my ATP.
5 inches down was my first Barber and half dollar, a 1906 O. Sweeeeeet.
It’s now my lucky charm for poker.

Major congrats!
A year ago I got permission to hunt an empty lot on the St Johns river (I’m also in Jax). Unfortunately it hadn’t been mowed in YEARS and fallen tree limbs from the hurricanes were everywhere. The weeds were chest high and very thick so swinging could only be done in small areas and patches. Found a lot of trash and nothing else.
Finally, exhausted I was ready to leave when I saw I’d somehow missed 2 HUGE oak trees in the middle of the lot and forced myself to search around them. Literally had to push my way through and there were even more limbs to contend with. Nothing under the first and I was completing my route around the second when I got a solid 90 on my ATP.
5 inches down was my first Barber and half dollar, a 1906 O. Sweeeeeet.
It’s now my lucky charm for poker.
Isn't that how it goes? Always in the last place you look. Also, thanks for the PVT MSG. You are correct on the location of my find. No need to go looking there. It is now officialy hunted out.:laughing: Also, I tried to find any law or info on the no Park hunting in Jax "law" you spoke about. No luck finding anything. So, I will keep hunting them till I'm told not to. Hope your club has some good luck with the Parks and Rec office. Please keep me posted.

Back
Top Bottom