Fakes, Fantasy and Reproductions...if you have dug them, show them here!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I thought his would be an interesting thread.
After reading Ron (CA)'s thread about the very rare slave tag he dug it got me thinking...
These, along with civil war relics are some of the most manufactured rippoffs out there...not to mention coins of all kinds and other things.
Look on EBay for those civil war belt buckles with a bullet halfway through it.
These have been sold to many a gullible fool out there that actually think they saved a life and are real, not just online but in regular auctions and antique stores all over the country but especially in the south.
Amazing that such a one in a million life saving occurrence had happened so many times.
Not one has ever been proven to be real so far.

Of course lots of other fake antiques out there too, as Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute.

There are different categories for items like these, reproductions, copies, fantasy items and out and out fakes and counterfeits.
The first three are usually marked in some way or advertised as not being real if that wasn't obvious already....the fake and counterfeit ones are the most interesting to me because they are not marked and made only to separate people from their money, sometimes lots of it, and is an actual crime to sell them.

In this thread I am interested in seeing what y'all have found and dug up regarding these type of targets.
I know many have, I have read posts about them especially the many coins.

Please take a minute to find yours and post them here.
They might not be real but they can be really interesting.

If anyone has ever dug an actual Henning nickel I would love to see a pic of one of those.

I will start.

Here is a Cob I dug up awhile ago.
Looked interesting, the word copy was a downer and I came to find out later that Kellyco threw one of these things into many of their free "valuable extras" packages.

P1030675.jpg

Here is another coin copy, a wrecked up reale I believe
No word copy I can find but it isn't real at all.

PicsArt_1432283060586.jpg

Here is my favorite, an actual fake token with a great story behind it.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=208036&highlight=fantasy+token

gold nugget token (1).jpg

There was no actual token ever issued by any saloon or cat house like this, they would never give away their most valuable commodity, time spent with one of their girls.
It is an out and out fake sold buy a lawyer con artist named Fred Mazzula who was a big collector of 1800's memorabilia...even if he had to steal them from original family owners.
He and his wife published many pamphlets about the old west, most info was either made up or copied from other public works and regurgitated.
These tokens he ordered by the ton and he aged them by wrapping them in newspapers and soaking them in vinegar.
He sold them in small stores and roadside carts to tourists for years for $10 each...nobody knows how many but a lot.
You can probably still find them in antique shops out west which is probably where mine came from and then brought back to Kansas and then lost.

Last edited:
Here's mine.
#1.= fake reale

#2.= 1841 large cent made of pewter!

#3.= this one is the best counterfeit. Its a 1838 Mexico silver dollar (8 reale). Its silver washed pewter. You can see the bubble where the silver is seperating from the base. Also I love how this coin has a notch cut into it. I imagine how someone questions it's authenticity And cuts into it with a hacksaw, sees the pewter inside And throws it out.

Attachments

• 20151025_174753-1.jpg
    20151025_174753-1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 20151025_174710-1.jpg
    20151025_174710-1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 440
  • 20160812_200353-1.jpg
    20160812_200353-1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG954136.jpg
    IMG954136.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG956436.jpg
    IMG956436.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 441
  • 1838-Mo-MM-Mexico-8-Reales-Coin-envío-gratis.jpg
    1838-Mo-MM-Mexico-8-Reales-Coin-envío-gratis.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 346
Cool guys...thanks!

Seems like there is a lot of fakes out there of all kinds.
Hopefully more will post some other pics.

Still hope to see an actual Henning nickel.
Counterfeits also may exist in 1939, 1946, 1947, and possibly 1953 but those will be harder to spot.
The 44 P nickel missing the P is the big one.
Check your nickels folks, supposedly still a lot of them out there.

Attachments

• 1944Henningrev.jpg
    1944Henningrev.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 1944Henningobv.jpg
    1944Henningobv.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 398
Henning Nickles! Well now you tell me! Now thats a real counterfeit with some value that a guy should be keeping an eye out for! I've pulled a few of those fake Spanish Dubloons up here on the West Michigan beaches...Right away, a guy with any modicum of historical understanding and context says "Damn! I've been salted by a wise guy!":laughing:
Mud

Thanks for all the cool info on house tokens , I thought they were real .
I was going to gift one for my wife , had second thoughts , was afraid she'd regift it !! :lol: HH

Here's a coin/button I found years ago.

Attachments

• user19807_pic48935_1371914055.jpg
    user19807_pic48935_1371914055.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 421
I was kinda new to detecting and found this in a spring fed swiming hole a few miles from a Spanish fort.. I started trembling when I found it.

Took me about 10 minutes to realize I had been bamboozled. It is silver plated copper.

Found this in my backyard... much to my dismay, when I cleaned it up... "COPY".

Attachments

• 20161004_220859-449x431.jpg
    20161004_220859-449x431.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 343
  • 20161004_220805-418x414.jpg
    20161004_220805-418x414.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 337
I found this in the middle of the woods for no apparent reason, cleaned her up and saw 10 k ! Saaaweeet! Wait a tick I don't know any makers with the intials GF :laughing: awww !!!!! would have been my first old gold but o well maybe next time! Great thread digger!

Attachments

• IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 304
I was kinda new to detecting and found this in a spring fed swiming hole a few miles from a Spanish fort.. I started trembling when I found it.

Took me about 10 minutes to realize I had been bamboozled. It is silver plated copper.

Ahhh....memories!

Check my second pic, I found the same one!
I saw the copper inside but didn't realize it was silver plated so thanks for the info!

I found this in the middle of the woods for no apparent reason, cleaned her up and saw 10 k ! Saaaweeet! Wait a tick I don't know any makers with the intials GF :laughing: awww !!!!! would have been my first old gold but o well maybe next time! Great thread digger!

Never thought about fake jewelry when I started this, that could be a whole category by itself.

We have found plated, gold filled, rolled gold and lots of others with marks like HGE, GE, RGP and more.
Those are marked correctly but there is a whole other kind out there....the ones that are complete rippoffs.
I have found my share, silver chains marked 925, at least one marked 14k...all of them show their true nature after a dirt nap.
The soil is not kind to fake jewelry.

Here are a few rings of mine.

This one is marked 18k...might have looked good when new with a thin gold plating, now, not so much.

P1030150.jpg

Here is one with a 14k mark.
Bet it looked great when new, bet someone spent some bucks on this thing too because it is heavy.
Copper can approximate the weight of gold pretty close and seems to be common as a base metal in fake gold jewelry.

fake gold.jpg

This is what turned out to be one of my favorite finds of all time for a couple of reasons, mostly because it is a rare type of ring and the way mine is made is the rarest of them all.
When I found it I was thrilled and then quickly heartbroken because I was on a quest for my 12th gold target for the year in 2013 and this one completed that quest...or so I thought.
Big as life marked 14k but then the clues did not add up to a real class ring gold ring and after it didn't test right for even 10k my hopes were totally dashed...eventually the wife came up with the answer that made me feel a bit better.
It is a salesman's sample high school class ring and a rare variety at that.
It was pretty deep and I suspect pretty old found in a park that went back over 100 years, it looked great and cleaned off easily like gold usually does, it was heavy and beautiful until I looked closer.
There was no school name on it, it said High School in the front instead.
No year marks either, just some odd designs etched into the sides.

fake class.jpg P1040852 (1).jpg

I was confused but after not testing right and my wife's guess about what it really was I did some research and discovered how rare this one really is.
A few other members have posted pics of sample class rings they have found but this is a pretty small and exclusive club.
Many are on EBay for sale if you look, most of them are plated to keep them looking good and not tarnish although the ones that have been dug did not look good at all..mine is different.
Mine is solid, not plated, but still a bit under 10k...I suspect it is probably 8-9k.
I have yet to find another mention of a sample ring like this that is solid gold like this one, low karat as it is, they are always plated in some fashion so I have a very rare one here.
I couldn't count it in my quest for gold, I was only counting 10k and up because that is the most common in this country and ARA won't accept anything less than 10k so that is where I set the bar.
In Germany 8k gold is popular, this was dug up in Missouri so I dismissed it.
I was really down for two days but on my next hunt I did find that last piece of real 14k gold to complete my quest so I relaxed.

So this one is a fake and designed to be one but not made to be a rippoff at all.
I really don't know for sure but considering how it is made and how worn it is this might be from the 20's or 30's...but again I will probably never know its true age. .
A rare and very unusual find and have yet to see a post or a mention of another one like it.

Last edited:
I thought his would be an interesting thread.

Here is a Cob I dug up awhile ago.
Looked interesting, the word copy was a downer and I came to find out later that Kellyco threw one of these things into many of their free "valuable extras" packages.

View attachment 373380

Digger, Looks like we found the same Cobs... complete with the coin shape and offset "stamping". I didn't know it was a KellyCo giveaway.. I'm wondering if the previous owners of my house owned detectors, and this was their test garden??? Now I'm questioning all my backyard finds... ;)

Digger, Looks like we found the same Cobs... complete with the coin shape and offset "stamping". I didn't know it was a KellyCo giveaway.. I'm wondering if the previous owners of my house owned detectors, and this was their test garden??? Now I'm questioning all my backyard finds... ;)

Yea, I wonder why people carried these around...for luck?
Others have found these over the years, I have seen a few posts about them from some confused hunters, probably a lot more out there lost and buried.

This one just used to be thrown in their free $279 value bag of stuff when you bought a detector for years.
Now I see they are now giving you a "Museum Quality Gold Coin Replica" of a different coin all displayed nicely with a historical certificate in a cheap frame.
"A $99 value."
It is an actual "Authentic Replica"...whatever that means.

Looking forward to digging one of these up sometime in the future.

Attachments

• 64-gc8e_1f.jpg
    64-gc8e_1f.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Confirmed period counterfeit capped bust 50c

Hi all,

Found this a few years ago. It was confirmed as a period counterfeit by the nice people here: http://www.cccbhcc.com/

HH, Kathy

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 231
I found this counterfeit seated half in 2015 and I was so pissed.
Then I realized just how cool and rare it is, certainly more rare than a real one.
Plus I actually found a real one just a few weeks earlier in a different town:D

Attachments

• 7-16-15 fake seated half 1.jpg
    7-16-15 fake seated half 1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 203
  • 7-16-15 Fake seated half.jpg
    7-16-15 Fake seated half.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 242
I have two that are in storage right now, I will dig them out soon and get pic up.
The first is a Barber half dollar with a 1/4 of it cut out. somewhere around 1898 is my guess.
the second is a silver plated over pewter seated quarter dated 1877, thought it was real at first

I showed my fake coins earlier. Now here's The fake gold.
All marked with a hallmark. All fakes

Attachments

• 20150513_193811-1.jpg
    20150513_193811-1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 20150513_205106-1.jpg
    20150513_205106-1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 20150528_173149-1.jpg
    20150528_173149-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 20160509_054050-1.jpg
    20160509_054050-1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 164
  • 20160509_054421-1.jpg
    20160509_054421-1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 20150914_072212-1-1.jpg
    20150914_072212-1-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 313
  • 20150912_184705-1.jpg
    20150912_184705-1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 166
After a few years of detecting, a guy sure gets to know metal...The FAKES I hate the most are chains stamped "14k Italy"...A guy pulls a Nice big friggin chain, hunted honestly, with years of skills employed, gets a heart attack, and upon a closer look, its a Fake not worth a penny!:mad:

I believe in Asia it is so illegal to stamp fake gold that it is punishable by immediate death to the vendor...that seems reasonable...and should be a global initiative...same with fake coins...there should be one thing left on this Planet that is honest, and it should be metal...go ahead and fake all the plastic passports and drivers licenses you want, just leave metal alone or suffer immediate death! A guy has got to draw the line somewhere:laughing:
Mud.

Back
Top Bottom