Anybody else have an Amazon Echo or Echo Dot ?

Precisely! If the fragile grid went down from any number or plethora of events in what we call the 'civilized' World, a bic Lighter, plastic tarp, and a pellet rifle would finally get the respect they all deserve...but, without the skills to utilize these tools, pretty much worthless to most...like a monkey with a typewriter...or a MSM commentator...

Its all speculation and fun thought for the little monkeys that pay attention......Smart little monkeys gotta pay attention to the weather and have some acquired stone age skills to survive, or else they aint nothing but another damned old fragile Human bean with a Debit card and a Subaru!...To survive, Smart little monkeys are seldom seen and very quiet...At least thats what they said on the Nat Geo channel! :laughing::laughing:

My little monkey says theres a big cat5 5hitstorm coming in fast, so at least gather us up a few bananas and get an umbrella!

Mud

I know a monkey that thinks he knows every thing. This one even smokes. I don't know where he keeps his cell phone. KEN

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Gary. He started this post and look where it is now. I think we all are having fun . I know I am , and I don't even know what these things you are talking about are. I am glad I don't have a Mine Lab with all them tones. I would really be messed up... KEN :?: :?: :?:

I feel sorry for Gary. He started this post and look where it is now. I think we all are having fun . I know I am , and I don't even know what these things you are talking about are. I am glad I don't have a Mine Lab with all them tones. I would really be messed up... KEN :?: :?: :?:

Hey, no harm done, I don't mind the thread sidestepping to a fun tangent here and there. It's all in fun !

What they need to make is one of those walking robots with a built-in Echo Dot so Alexa can not only answer your questions, but actually do chores too :lol:

Just think if you could train the walking robot in the next video to use a metal detector, you would have a hunting buddy that would give you all their finds :laughing::laughing::laughing:

That 2nd video is how I walk after detecting 6hrs. :lol:

Hey, after 2 or 3 hours detecting you hand your detector to that walking robot and have it detect for a while till you relax enough to start again :lol:

Be wary of any electronic device that is always on and always recording. These AI devices are now a new source of evidence in court cases.

One of my sisters has the Echo. I ask her to turn it off before I enter her house. Of course, I also disabled my laptop microphone and blacked out the built in camera as well. Don't use any social media either. I have been called a Luddite.

Be wary of any electronic device that is always on and always recording. These AI devices are now a new source of evidence in court cases.

One of my sisters has the Echo. I ask her to turn it off before I enter her house. Of course, I also disabled my laptop microphone and blacked out the built in camera as well. Don't use any social media either. I have been called a Luddite.

I have no problem with anyone who feels the need to be that careful, but if you do feel you need to be that careful don't forget to have anyone take the batteries out of their cell phones as they can be listened thru even when turned off if the battery is still in it, check out this article -

Is your smartphone listening to you?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35639549

(it is an article done by the BBC news)

I just bought an amazon fire stick with alexa remote , even though alexa isn't necessary I got the fire stick so I can put kodi on it , all it really is is google with voice recognition. Rather than typing something in a google search you just speak it and it understands. Its an interesting idea but just voice recognition software instead of a manual keyboard. I ask it any question and it searches google for me. I don't doubt that somebody could be listening in but while knowing that could theoretically be possible , nothing gets said in my home that would ever be a problem. If I ever get paranoid enough I am sure I can disable the microphone somehow.

I just bought an amazon fire stick with alexa remote , even though alexa isn't necessary I got the fire stick so I can put kodi on it , all it really is is google with voice recognition. Rather than typing something in a google search you just speak it and it understands. Its an interesting idea but just voice recognition software instead of a manual keyboard. I ask it any question and it searches google for me. I don't doubt that somebody could be listening in but while knowing that could theoretically be possible , nothing gets said in my home that would ever be a problem. If I ever get paranoid enough I am sure I can disable the microphone somehow.

Neat, now can Alexa work thru the Amazon fire stick in all the ways it does thru the Amazon Echo ?

Here is the page where you can see all the "skills" you can enable Alexa to do, but I'm not sure if these skills only work thru the Echo or also thru the fire stick -

https://www.amazon.com/alexa-skills/b/ref=topnav_storetab_a2s?ie=UTF8&node=13727921011

Earlier in this thread I mentioned some of the "skills" I enabled so far.

Neat, now can Alexa work thru the Amazon fire stick in all the ways it does thru the Amazon Echo ?

Here is the page where you can see all the "skills" you can enable Alexa to do, but I'm not sure if these skills only work thru the Echo or also thru the fire stick -

https://www.amazon.com/alexa-skills/b/ref=topnav_storetab_a2s?ie=UTF8&node=13727921011

Earlier in this thread I mentioned some of the "skills" I enabled so far.

I don't know if alexa on fire stick can do as much as those other machines , only that you can push the button and ask it to do everything from skipping forward on the video you are watching to telling you the weather or how long an elephant lives :lol: I suspect its abilities may be limited compared to the others but all Ive done with it so far was ask a few questions to see how it works.

Once they perfected voice recognition , which used to be used primarily as a way to bypass the keyboard and make writing letters , etc. hands free....it was only a matter of time until they paired it with an internet search engine and turned it into a robot that retrieves information and does things for you. I think its cool , though I really have no need for it other than playing around with it for the sake of novelty.

The ultimate goal in the industry is artificial intelligence and a way to communicate with it effectively. I think that's dangerous but we aren't there yet. What these products are besides real working applications , is large scale free research and development toward that goal. Alexa being a " bot " of sorts , and having the world at her finger tips through the internet , what could emerge as the technology is refined could be a scary thing , but for now its harmless and kinda cool.

I don't know if alexa on fire stick can do as much as those other machines , only that you can push the button and ask it to do everything from skipping forward on the video you are watching to telling you the weather or how long an elephant lives :lol: I suspect its abilities may be limited compared to the others but all Ive done with it so far was ask a few questions to see how it works.

Once they perfected voice recognition , which used to be used primarily as a way to bypass the keyboard and make writing letters , etc. hands free....it was only a matter of time until they paired it with an internet search engine and turned it into a robot that retrieves information and does things for you. I think its cool , though I really have no need for it other than playing around with it for the sake of novelty.

The ultimate goal in the industry is artificial intelligence and a way to communicate with it effectively. I think that's dangerous but we aren't there yet. What these products are besides real working applications , is large scale free research and development toward that goal. Alexa being a " bot " of sorts , and having the world at her finger tips through the internet , what could emerge as the technology is refined could be a scary thing , but for now its harmless and kinda cool.

I have "Cortana" on my windows 10 laptop and also on my windows phone and without ever touching anything I can simply say "Hey Cortana" send a text to (name) and she will open it and ask what I want to say and she'll type it in and ask if I am ready to have her send it.

Also on the windows 10 computer there is a built in voice recognition program you can activate when needed and it will type whatever you say. Now I needed to train it better. In fact I just turned it on to finish this post. The program is called speech recognition and you can find it under settings, but I can say hey Cortana activate speech recognition and it opens without touching a key. The speech recognition program is typing this as I speak.

I have "Cortana" on my windows 10 laptop and also on my windows phone and without ever touching anything I can simply say "Hey Cortana" send a text to (name) and she will open it and ask what I want to say and she'll type it in and ask if I am ready to have her send it.

Also on the windows 10 computer there is a built in voice recognition program you can activate when needed and it will type whatever you say. Now I needed to train it better. In fact I just turned it on to finish this post. The program is called speech recognition and you can find it under settings, but I can say hey Cortana activate speech recognition and it opens without touching a key. The speech recognition program is typing this as I speak.

It really bothers me that I cannot disable Cortana on W10. But, given that MS has moved their business plan from being an "Operating System" company to a "Data Aggregation/Advertising" company, I can't expect anything different. So. Much. Spyware in W10... Depending upon set up, your W10 computer is basically a keylogger for Microsoft.

I think Amazon and Walmart.com (and likely many other online companies) are similar in that it seems like if you are browsing thru their web sites looking at different products it seems like those (or similar) products start appearing on the ads on the side of the page. It is like they track what products you might be interested in and show ads related to those products. (I could be wrong, but it seems that way)

I think Amazon and Walmart.com (and likely many other online companies) are similar in that it seems like if you are browsing thru their web sites looking at different products it seems like those (or similar) products start appearing on the ads on the side of the page. It is like they track what products you might be interested in and show ads related to those products. (I could be wrong, but it seems that way)

That is exactly what they are doing, but, in some cases (Facebook in particular) it can get far more invasive. If you use Facebook and are not currently logged in (using a device you have previously logged in with), Facebook is still collecting data about you.

Well if you have nothing to worry about then you have nothing to worry about...otherwise...why worry about whos watching or listening? LOL

Well if you have nothing to worry about then you have nothing to worry about...otherwise...why worry about whos watching or listening? LOL

Funny you should say that, that was basically the same thing me and someone who stopped by our house yesterday agreed on, they had heard about concerns of Echo listening in, but also basically said if Echo owners are not doing anything wrong then why would they be concerned.

I also added that if "they" choose to do so, "they" can listen in thru your cellphones even if they are turned off, you have to take the battery out and how many people are going to take the battery out of their cellphones ?

It is a matter of principle. Anything I say in the privacy of my own home should not be stored somewhere on a server farm by some private corporation or even the federal government. The whole, "if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" argument is a false one. Information is the currency and weapon of the age.

I keep telling my niece and nephews that they have to be very careful about ANYTHING that they post to facebook, instagram, twitter, youtube, or even what they say around their friends - because the internet is FOREVER. 6 years from now, when they get out of college and they are looking for a job, potential employers are going to know EVERYTHING about them that they or their friends put on the internet. If any of it is even moderately controversial, they aren't going to get that job.

It is only going to get worse...

Just wait until the next generation of cable boxes become a mandatory think if you want cable. I was reading the patent application for these - Advertising you see on your TV will be based upon CONVERSATION going on in the room. The technology will be able to determine how many people are in the room, their gender, and approximate ages. Just image arguing with your wife and then having commercials for divorce lawyers showing up on the TV. It is pretty creepy and borderline Orwellian. And yes - conversations will be recorded by the cable providers.

Too much of anything is a bad thing. Too much technology and too much invasion of privacy is definitely a bad thing. Sure, there are tons of people out there who will give away any and all information because we are BEING conditioned to answer any and all questions asked of us online.

If you ever watched them movie "Minority Report", that is where advertising is heading. Retailers are experimenting with all kinds of surveillance gear - cameras in the shelves to watch your eye movement so they can see what it is your are looking at specifically and for how long. They monitor MAC addresses in phones to monitor where you are in the store and how long you stay in one place - they are doing all kinds of data mining and for the most part, people are unaware exactly how much. The moment I walk into a store and I am greeted by name after an eyescan is the last time I ever do business with that company.

Web Beacons are another great one - They get put on web pages and inserted into emails. They are 1x1 transparent images that act as cookies. When used in emails, they will tell the sender of the email what time you opened up the email, and the ip address of the computer, and the approximate location you currently are.

And, I think one of the more disturbing things was a webpage at Comcast that tells your the address of customers based upon IP address. I don't recall it listing your name or anything, but it did list physical address. Word to the wise - if you use Comcast and do things like argue with trolls on sites that log IP addresses, if the troll happens to have access to that information, he also can easily find out where you live just by IP address.

The sad truth about Orwell's "1984" is that the government could never force a "Telescreen" into everyones home. But, we carry one with us everywhere we go - willingly. Unless you take out the battery or remove the simcard, those phones can be powered on remotely, as can the cameras and microphones.

I don't like my privacy being violated.

It is a matter of principle. Anything I say in the privacy of my own home should not be stored somewhere on a server farm by some private corporation or even the federal government. The whole, "if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" argument is a false one. Information is the currency and weapon of the age.

I keep telling my niece and nephews that they have to be very careful about ANYTHING that they post to facebook, instagram, twitter, youtube, or even what they say around their friends - because the internet is FOREVER. 6 years from now, when they get out of college and they are looking for a job, potential employers are going to know EVERYTHING about them that they or their friends put on the internet. If any of it is even moderately controversial, they aren't going to get that job.

It is only going to get worse...

Just wait until the next generation of cable boxes become a mandatory think if you want cable. I was reading the patent application for these - Advertising you see on your TV will be based upon CONVERSATION going on in the room. The technology will be able to determine how many people are in the room, their gender, and approximate ages. Just image arguing with your wife and then having commercials for divorce lawyers showing up on the TV. It is pretty creepy and borderline Orwellian. And yes - conversations will be recorded by the cable providers.

Too much of anything is a bad thing. Too much technology and too much invasion of privacy is definitely a bad thing. Sure, there are tons of people out there who will give away any and all information because we are BEING conditioned to answer any and all questions asked of us online.

If you ever watched them movie "Minority Report", that is where advertising is heading. Retailers are experimenting with all kinds of surveillance gear - cameras in the shelves to watch your eye movement so they can see what it is your are looking at specifically and for how long. They monitor MAC addresses in phones to monitor where you are in the store and how long you stay in one place - they are doing all kinds of data mining and for the most part, people are unaware exactly how much. The moment I walk into a store and I am greeted by name after an eyescan is the last time I ever do business with that company.

Web Beacons are another great one - They get put on web pages and inserted into emails. They are 1x1 transparent images that act as cookies. When used in emails, they will tell the sender of the email what time you opened up the email, and the ip address of the computer, and the approximate location you currently are.

And, I think one of the more disturbing things was a webpage at Comcast that tells your the address of customers based upon IP address. I don't recall it listing your name or anything, but it did list physical address. Word to the wise - if you use Comcast and do things like argue with trolls on sites that log IP addresses, if the troll happens to have access to that information, he also can easily find out where you live just by IP address.

The sad truth about Orwell's "1984" is that the government could never force a "Telescreen" into everyones home. But, we carry one with us everywhere we go - willingly. Unless you take out the battery or remove the simcard, those phones can be powered on remotely, as can the cameras and microphones.

I don't like my privacy being violated.

I agree with you about the principle of simply not wanting your privacy to be violated (even though you are doing nothing wrong to be concerned about) but how many people nowadays do not have a cellphone ? and how many of those who do have cellphones take out their battery until they actually want to make a call ?

Sure, there are other devices that have the potential to be used to listen in with, but the one device that most people have with them everywhere they go is their cellphone. Technically they're not supposed to be able to listen in without a warrant, but who knows if "they" follow the rules ?

So, outside of giving up your cellphone or taking the battery out when not making a call I'm not sure what we can do.

The ultimate tracking and control device will be whenever they decide to try to make it mandatory to get a chip implant to buy or sell and as an electronic ID, now THAT is where I would draw the line and absolutely refuse to get a chip implant reguardless of the consequences.

As far as cellphones I wonder if people put them in a metal case when not making a call it would block any listening without taking out the battery, but the drawback would the same as taking the battery out, no one could call you.

Anyhow, since I'm not going to take my battery out I'll just have to be satisfied with knowing I'm not doing anything wrong to be concerned even if "they" (1984 Big Brother) are listening in.

Here's a song I found online with blues guitarist Jimmie Vaughan singing a song against chip implants -

As far as cellphones I wonder if people put them in a metal case when not making a call it would block any listening without taking out the battery, but the drawback would the same as taking the battery out, no one could call you.

This would kill the battery since it will continually be trying to connect to the network.

Originally Posted by GKL View post

This would kill the battery since it will continually be trying to connect to the network.

Maybe if you power down the phone first it would keep it from draining, just a thought. (that would be easier on the phone than taking the battery out constantly, for those who would do that)

Back
Top Bottom