Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 AM
Supporter

[QUOTE=Rattlehead;2739400]Thanks

Man, this read like a Tom Clancy book, so much excitement! Such a great story, even before page 14! In the 18 pages of this story, you have poured out so much of your life, It sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person. Congratulations!

Old 07-11-2017, 01:43 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CJ319 View post
Thanks

Man, this read like a Tom Clancy book, so much excitement! Such a great story, even before page 14! In the 18 pages of this story, you have poured out so much of your life, It sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person. Congratulations!

Thank you my friend. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rattlehead; 07-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:47 AM

Wow! Great story and great finds. That will definitely keep the detecting fire going! You may end up with your wife joining you next time!!!

Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by SalemDan View post
Wow! Great story and great finds. That will definitely keep the detecting fire going! You may end up with your wife joining you next time!!!
Thanks Dan.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:50 AM

I just started reading through this thread and got to the update after 3 years...Serious jawdrop heartstopper lol. Man very few people find caches like this, and you've defiantly been blessed to be one of the lucky ones. And all because grandma mentioned the one coin that grandpa found. The finds of us normal people are meager in comparison! Totally jelly of this find(aka jackpot) lol. But still good that it was found and not just sitting in the ground! Congrats there Mr Rattlehead

Old 08-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silver Saver View post
I just started reading through this thread and got to the update after 3 years...Serious jawdrop heartstopper lol. Man very few people find caches like this, and you've defiantly been blessed to be one of the lucky ones. And all because grandma mentioned the one coin that grandpa found. The finds of us normal people are meager in comparison! Totally jelly of this find(aka jackpot) lol. But still good that it was found and not just sitting in the ground! Congrats there Mr Rattlehead
Thanks for the kind words Silver Saver. I was super lucky and blessed to find this one. It'll probably never happen again but that won't stop me from looking.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:40 AM

Just a techie question here, Rattlehead - what do you see as the advantages of the CTX-3030 over the V3i you were using when you started this thread? And, by the way, I have so enjoyed your thread! My very first find with my Compass XP-Pro (first good detector I ever owned) was a Walking Liberty half that was, literally, RIGHT UNDER where I first put the coil down to test it out after unboxing it. I thought 'geez! This is going to be easy!' After 25 more years of hunting, I have only matched that find twice, and never exceeded it. So to see someone who has lived what we all have only dreamed about (and know that that's really all we can ever do is dream) - well, we all get some vicarious vindication for all those hundreds or thousands of hours spend swinging a detector in all kinds of terrain and weather, fighting snakes, bugs, curious kids and dogs, and exasperated spouses . It's good to know that the impossible dream isn't REALLY impossible. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experiences.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Texaspast View post
Just a techie question here, Rattlehead - what do you see as the advantages of the CTX-3030 over the V3i you were using when you started this thread? And, by the way, I have so enjoyed your thread! My very first find with my Compass XP-Pro (first good detector I ever owned) was a Walking Liberty half that was, literally, RIGHT UNDER where I first put the coil down to test it out after unboxing it. I thought 'geez! This is going to be easy!' After 25 more years of hunting, I have only matched that find twice, and never exceeded it. So to see someone who has lived what we all have only dreamed about (and know that that's really all we can ever do is dream) - well, we all get some vicarious vindication for all those hundreds or thousands of hours spend swinging a detector in all kinds of terrain and weather, fighting snakes, bugs, curious kids and dogs, and exasperated spouses . It's good to know that the impossible dream isn't REALLY impossible. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experiences.
Hey Texaspast! Thanks for the kind words bud! For me, the advantages of the CTX over the V3i are as follows:
1) Really good depth and performance right out of the box. V3i is capable of good depth as well, but requires some tweaking to get the most out of it.
2) Handles EMI better.
3) Much better target ID at depth.
4) IMHO, if swept slowly the CTX/Etrac are able to pick out deeper targets near iron junk better than a lot of other detectors.

Thanks again for the comments. GL & HH!

Old 10-29-2017, 03:43 AM
Elite Member

Holy smokes, Simply Awesome.. Can't believe I haven't seen this thread until now..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2w8S10_T9Ep5TbCeQqR1GQ

Old 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM
Elite Member

Thanks Jackalope!

Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Elite Member

I believe this to be the most amazing thread I have seen on here since I have been a member 7+ years)!
Huge congratulations to you and thanks for sharing too

Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Elite Member

Default Best weekend of detecting EVER! 1861 Double Eagle and lots of BIG silver!

Thanks matmit. I appreciate it bud!

I was super lucky to find this spot and it was easily one of the most exciting things I've experienced in my lifetime. Heck I still get excited about finding a random Merc though. I love this hobby!