If your area doesn't have maps available

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
You might look here:

aphrax publishing

These are maps to purchase (and I have no connection with them), I ordered one and should have it next week, and will update here after I've had a chance to look through it.

Or, just Google "Family Maps of *your* County, *your* state. and look for the above site attached.

I did a site search, and didn't find any previous mention of it, so sorry if it's a repeat.

ETA: Author is Gregory A Boyd

OK, just got my book today, and I'm sadly disappointed. Reason why is the locations of the actual homes, stores, mills, etc. at the time of the survey are NOT on the plat maps.

The advertisement, as well as cover of the book clearly states:

"With Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and more."

Was I wrong in my assumption that the location of the homes would be marked on the plat maps?

OK, just got my book today, and I'm sadly disappointed. Reason why is the locations of the actual homes, stores, mills, etc. at the time of the survey are NOT on the plat maps.

The advertisement, as well as cover of the book clearly states:

"With Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and more."

Was I wrong in my assumption that the location of the homes would be marked on the plat maps?

The only old maps I've seen that show structures (and only approximate locations) are old topo maps. The land ownership maps (tax maps) only listed the owner for that particular year.

The only old maps I've seen that show structures (and only approximate locations) are old topo maps. The land ownership maps (tax maps) only listed the owner for that particular year.

Thanks for the reply, and not trying to be dismissive, but since it said "With Homesteads", do you take that as showing houses?

I had just emailed them telling them my thoughts, and asking what my options are, so I'll see what they say. It wouldn't bother me as much if it was a $10-15 book, but I paid $48.

Thanks for the reply, and not trying to be dismissive, but since it said "With Homesteads", do you take that as showing houses?

I had just emailed them telling them my thoughts, and asking what my options are, so I'll see what they say. It wouldn't bother me as much if it was a $10-15 book, but I paid $48.

I can see where you'd be thinking it would show buildings, considering how they worded that. Although I think of a homestead as a farm or land, a lot of folks I think see that as the actual cabin or farm house. At the very least they could have worded it a little more specifically, and yes, if I had gotten that with your expectations I think I'd contact them too. It can't hurt to see what they have to say.

LOL, OK now you've got me wondering what the actual definition of "homestead" is, so I looked it up. It specifically states house/dwelling. I guess I will use that in my "defense" in getting a refund of my money. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll offer a refund without an issue.

I guess that cinches it then, they hopefully will make this right for you! It's pretty aggravating not to get what you think you're paying for :yes:

Thanks backwater! LOL, I'm not keeping my hopes up.

OK, here's the email reply I got today:

Dear Gauntlet,

Thank you for your recent purchase and I am sorry you were disappointed with the book. Our books show where the property is located and not where any actual structures were located. In regards to the term "Homesteads" that refers to the Act of Congress that allowed someone to Homestead a property. You will see below a section from our website on the Family Maps of xxxxx County description page which lists the Acts of Congress that are represented in xxxxx for the ways in which people received their parcels and that one of those is the Homestead EntryOriginal Act. In the index before each map there is a number that represents for each parcel which Act transferred the property.

Acts of Congress Authorizing the Land Patents in this book:
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Our patent-maps are essentially plat maps but instead of depicting owners for a particular year, these maps show original landowners.

But we will allow a return but because it is a research book we do have a 15% restocking fee and refund you $37.40 once we receive the book in good condition. You can return the book to:

Arphax Publishing Co.
11450 U.S. Hwy. 380
Ste. 130-296
Cross Roads, TX 76227

Please let us know if you would like to the return the book so that we can be watching for it.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxx

Here is my reply:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Homestead

Homestead:
The dwelling house and its adjoining land where a family resides.

I'm sorry as well, especially since you want to charge me a fee
because you misrepresented your book, plus my cost to return ship it
back to you. I had already found all the information in your book,
online, for free.

If you're telling me that my only option is returning it at a loss,
I'll keep it and give it to the local Library. I might just write a
note inside the cover telling why I'd donated the book., I'll also be
sure to let everyone I can that your book is being misrepresented, and
provides no additional information which can't be found for zero cost.
The internet is a wonderful tool for such a thing.

Please don't take my directness as rudeness, as that's not my intent,
I just don't like not getting what I'd paid for. I believe your
company fully knows it's using a play on words in its description of
this book, and I suppose the entire series. There's a reason the first
word in Homestead is "Home".

Please let me know if I will be given a 100% refund so I'll know how
to proceed on my end.

Thank-you,
Gauntlet

I'll update with their reply, if I get one :lol:

OK, book went back in today's mail. I'll update once I'm refunded my money (100% as agreed).

They were understanding about the entire situation, so I can't fault them there. Would I buy something else from them? Yes, but I would email or call them beforehand to be sure I was getting what I thought I was ordering.

I did just receive a refund, $44 instead of $48, but I'm not going to complain.

I would still buy from them again, but would contact them ahead of time, and not count on their description as being accurate.

Thought I'd update since I said I would. My crisis is over.....:lol:

Back
Top Bottom