Time for my old man to upgrade

Savagebenny

Hello, I was looking to get some recommendations for a new metal detector for my dad. He got started with metal detecting about a year ago and has been using a garret ace 350 but now he's looking to upgrade.

He mainly detects on our local CT beaches in dry sand but he's interested in occasionally hunting the shallows and wet sand. He's not interested in a PI because there's so much !!!! on our beaches. So, I'm gonna wondering which vlf is the best for the occasional wet/salt hunt with the understanding that none of them are going to be awesome. I'm excluding the 3030 and the excal because the former is wicked heavy and the latter he just doesn't like.

Price isn't necessarily a factor but ideally he'd like to stay in the $2000 range. (Full disclosure: I have a vested interest in helping him make up his mind because he said I could have the old 350 when he gets a new one. And despite its flaws, the 350 is still way better than my imaginary metal detector.)

Thanks so much for any advice.

Well, your version of "old man" and mine might be quite different ;), but for weight consideration, he might consider the XP Deus. Fits in the price range, is a great, versatile machine, and weighs very little.

That being said, I'm sure you'll get lots of additional inputs! Good luck with your decision.

I'm knew to this forum as well and I have gathered tons of info!!!! Actually, I'm still in the process of saving $$$ for my first detector. After speaking with several acquaintances that have done a lot of detecting, I'm leaning towards the Garrett AT Pro. From my understanding it seems to meet quite a few of your needs. Also, the price is well under your mark. Amazon had a deal for under $700.00 that included a pin pointer and a couple of other items. The ATP may have a shorter learning curve since he is already using a Garrett product. AGAIN, I HAVE NEVER PERSONNALLY USED THE ATP BUT THE PEOPLE I KNOW THAT USE IT ARE VERY SATISFIED. I'm sure many people will give advice much better than I can, just hope this will get you started. Good luck

A dual freq detector like the fisher cz 21 might be something he would like. Besides the excal thats the only other machine (except for the 3030) that would do well in the salt water.

Get us a picture of your Old Man out hunting the beach with his gear! I like this guy...! Good on ya for snagging that 350 too! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom