$15 Pinpointer!

CyberSage

Elite Member
We had friends over for dinner last night. They showed me a pinpointer they had picked up at the local Harbor Freight store for $15. I rolled my eyes at first. Then after playing with it discovered it had a range of about 1 3/4 inches. Has a light and works just like the Whites. No vibrator, just a beep. Looks like a great buy. comes with a carrying holster as well.

97245.gif

here is the link...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97245

Keep Swing'in
Jack

I hear they are on back order for 3 months. Make sure to call ahead to see if they're in stock.

I saw them when I was at the local Harbor Freight store. It does look a lot like the original White's pin pointer except for the switch and the external gain control (or what looks like a gain control). For $15 I'd give it a try, but I already have the old White's pin pointer and a Sun Ray probe.

Just goe's to show

what kind of bloated markups there are on those things. most, if not all are manufactured in the far east dispite the name on the outside. A pinpointer is a 99% must in the hobby, and it used to get my goat :mad: having to pay the rediculus price asked by any supplier. I have a sunray now after having lost two handhelds. Neither of which were worth the powder to blow them away. I would say, if you need a PP that is a good deal.
A couple years ago, I followed up on a chinese made unit that would cost me less than 9 dollars each. The down side was I had to buy them by the truckload. Enter Harbor Freight...:roll:....Gil

i am waiting on the cache probe cp-250 from kellyco now. i know that those with knoledge recomend the sunray but i want to use it with both the f2 and the 2500 so i got a handheld.

the cp-250 looks like it has a probe that will perform the way felix is talking about.

i look forward to no more empty holes or 30 minutes searching a plug because i don't want to drop the target back into the grass or totaly destroy the plug trying to recover the target.

i don't care if it is another stayon pulltab i just want to find something if i decide to dig.

I bought one a while back via HF online. It works really well and I like it a lot. We compared it to my club members Vibraprobe and and Whites Pinpointer. The Whites did a little better on gold however for the price the HF model cannot be beat. The Vibraprobe is nice because it is waterproof. Like any economy tool, I wouldn't recommend dropping it or getting the box wet with water.

Probably good for practicing, but our first pinpointer was a handheld made by Garrett and the beeping,(especially with people nearby) was very distracting, and drew their attention even more to what I was doing. Use them only in private places.

I would go with one that vibrates.

I ordered the pinpointer from HF the first of june. I waited 3 weeks, called and they said it will be shipped on July 27. I have now received a card saying they are not sure they will get any in. :(

Well being in the online Sales and Catalog business I know that you can't base a company off of one item. Unfortunatly it happens. Your supplier may tell you one thing and then do something different.

I was just thinking... If you go to a local thrift store and buy an old PS1 controller or an xBox or ps2 controller, something cheap that has the vibrate function. You could just open it up and steal the vibration motor in it and then go inside of that pinpointer and replace the noise making part with the vibration motor. Instead of a beep, it'd do a vibrate. Something to think about for any of your electronic lovers.

They are in stock at the Fort Collins store right now. I just thought I would share the info. It's a good price. I use a Sunray as well Gil, "No Contest!". The vibrator idea is a good one. I might try that Jakk.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Just bought one of these and it had an "apply coupon" code which led me to treasure hunt on google for coupon codes..

I came up with this one

256-512-373

which gave me five dollars off and some free crap. Haven't even checked to see what the free crap was..

re: vibration motor from PS or XBox controller

I was just thinking... If you go to a local thrift store and buy an old PS1 controller or an xBox or ps2 controller, something cheap that has the vibrate function. You could just open it up and steal the vibration motor in it and then go inside of that pinpointer and replace the noise making part with the vibration motor. Instead of a beep, it'd do a vibrate. Something to think about for any of your electronic lovers.

That might be a good idea. I wonder how hard it would be to do and I wonder if the motor used in those controllers would be strong enough?
I found a CenTech pinpointer at a local HF store for $15 and will probably buy one tomorrow. If it doesn't work that great, I can always use it as a backup pinpointer.

Love this world of inflation . I called a Harbor Frieght tools store in Kansas City a bit ago to see if they had a 15 dollar handheld detector in stock and they said they had two , but there price was $29.95 not $15.99 . Told them I would be down there on the 25th and would come look , they would only hold one for one day . The gentleman there couldn't explain why theres was so high . I also had one ordered by phone since May and it is still on back order , not good . Harold

Back
Top Bottom