Metal Detecting banned in Florida?!

Dragon44

Please forward…Here it is...SB 868, http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2012/868 which may strip our rights and completely end the days of Metal Detecting in Florida. Even if you don't live in Florida! This Bill may set a precedent in other states! It has been passed unanimously by the House (HB 591-CS passed as amended; YEAS 118 NAYS 0 on 2/16/2012) and the Senate Transportation, Tourism, and Economic Development Appropriations Committee. The Bill states that...any person who...removes or attempts to remove, or defaces, destroys, or otherwise alters any...specimen located upon land owned or controlled by the state or within the boundaries of a...[local government body politic] except in the course of activities pursued under the authority of a permit granted by the Division or under procedures relating to accredited institutions, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree. A person who engages in the same conduct by means of excavation commits a felony of the third degree...Individuals also are prohibited, and subject to criminal penalties, for selling or procuring objects which have been collected in violation of state law. CS/SB 868 expands the provisions contained in s. 267.13, F.S., related to prohibited practices and penalties to include state sovereignty submerged land (Includes Beach Land Below the High Mean Water/Tide Mark) and land owned by political subdivisions (Your local town/City). Any specimens, objects, and materials collected in violation of the law are forfeited to the state. Currently, the statutes only apply to land owned or controlled by the state, or within the boundaries of a designated state archaeological landmark or landmark zone. Thus, the bill affords protection to other public landowners, who are not covered by current laws and limited to other remedies such as trespass after warning...Our only hope to keep our hobby alive is to demand that Governor Rick Scott VETO this law! Write him, email him, call him and protect your rights and our hobby! He can be reached at http://www.flgov.com

This is like the 10th time this subject has came up! passed or not Im still detecting!!!!

Here you go OP

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=105630

Sorry, I was laughing too hard to post it initially. This is becoming rather comical.....

Even if this whole debacle was an actual threat, why wouldn't you think it had already been posted on the most active MD site on the internet?

Using the search function prevents this sort of post after post after post on an identical topic.

Oh, and welcome :yes:

This has nothing to do with metal detecting and will not affect hunting. You still have to follow the laws currently on file.

I shot the Gov. an email. Lets see what he says lol. Sorry to hear this travesty Floridians. As if the highest foreclosure rate and high unemployment isn't enough. If they can't make money from you they don't want it. What a joke.

Governor turned down our federal high speed rail grant, we lost an estimated 115k jobs in that one move. Cash was waiting to be spent and he turned it away at the last minute.

^If you look at other high speed rail projects in other states you will see that final costs are up to double the projected budget and allotted federal funds. The already broke states are then on the hook for tens of millions of their own dollars.

Some things are not what they seem one you scratch the surface.

I email the gov

OK, I've emailed the Gov to let him know what I think. Does this bill cover metal detecting? You bet it does, just read the words! I hope everyone takes just a minute to express their feelings to the Gov.

Back
Top Bottom