Equinox vs Anfibio multi with live digs

detectorben

Elite Member
Compared the anfibio multi and equinox 800 out at some old parks on various targets. Focused on signals in the coin range including wheat pennies and silver. I think the anfibio is a good machine overall. I just cant get past the sounds coming from a minelab and Garrett background. It is a little harder to swing than my equinox as well but not as bad as my ctx. I would love to hear what others think. Thanks for looking! HH!

https://youtu.be/NpyBbv5Y1yU

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hey detectorben. Good video. I think many guys will appreciate this comparison. I don't know what you had the gain set at on the Anfibio, but I find it hard to believe you were picking up a target in 99 tone mode that the deep mode was not picking up, unless your gain settings were significantly different. I am a new owner of the Anfibio. Previous to that I used an Explorer XS. I was very successful with my Explorer XS, and will be going back to the areas I hunted with it to see if the Anfibio can pick out some of the deeper targets I may have missed. It looks to me like both machines were sounding off on the targets you located. The target ID is simply not stable on the deeper coins. That's where the audio, and the depth meter really comes into play. Anyway, thank for posting the video.

Hey detectorben. Good video. I think many guys will appreciate this comparison. I don't know what you had the gain set at on the Anfibio, but I find it hard to believe you were picking up a target in 99 tone mode that the deep mode was not picking up, unless your gain settings were significantly different. I am a new owner of the Anfibio. Previous to that I used an Explorer XS. I was very successful with my Explorer XS, and will be going back to the areas I hunted with it to see if the Anfibio can pick out some of the deeper targets I may have missed. It looks to me like both machines were sounding off on the targets you located. The target ID is simply not stable on the deeper coins. That's where the audio, and the depth meter really comes into play. Anyway, thank for posting the video.
Thanks! I had gain as high as it would run stable. No lower than 70 and no higher than 85. I adjusted it each time I moved to new area. It was strange to me as well but I often saw better target id and depth in 99 tone vs deep mode. I still need to play with settings a lot more and put more time on the machine to unlock it's full potential. I tried to keep the settings fairly close between the two machines for these digs.

Nice video! I have a one target dig on video i have not posted. It was in the same area where i posted the NOX video on single target. I was hunting with the Anfibio , small elliptical coil , 4 tone mode. I was hunting slow and got an iffy signal, once i had it located i began to circle and the tone was not real strong but ID was not super jumpy. I finally decided it was worth digging, but before i did, i decided to pull out the NOX and just see what it did. I turned it on, no noise cancel, GB. I did nothing but just turn it on. I approached in a normal manner acting like i did not know it was there. When i got over target it was not even close to being what I consider to be a extremely masked target. It was bam,bam in my face tone and ID. I could get it easily and not even warble the target in a small spot. I think it was at about 6 inches. It turned out to be a wheat penny. What i worked hard to find with the Anfibio , the Nox just found and reported with ease. I think the Anfibio is a great machine and very well built, and for a single freq machine is in the top of the list for single freq machines. I did not start a thread and post the footage because i didn't really think it was fair, because the Nox is multi compared to Anfibio. But i will say i have hunted the Nox in single freq and if that were all it was, i would have the Anfibio and not a Nox.

Target was masked and the Anfibio did find it, but i was working very slow, if i were working in a normal swing speed, very possible i could have missed it. Nox working normal, just turn on and swing, nobody would have missed the target. Almost didn't even write this, because of negative feedback possibilities, but this what i have been experiencing between the two. But i will say i think for a single freq machine, the Anfibio is at or near the top.

Nice video! I have a one target dig on video i have not posted. It was in the same area where i posted the NOX video on single target. I was hunting with the Anfibio , small elliptical coil , 4 tone mode. I was hunting slow and got an iffy signal, once i had it located i began to circle and the tone was not real strong but ID was not super jumpy. I finally decided it was worth digging, but before i did, i decided to pull out the NOX and just see what it did. I turned it on, no noise cancel, GB. I did nothing but just turn it on. I approached in a normal manner acting like i did not know it was there. When i got over target it was not even close to being what I consider to be a extremely masked target. It was bam,bam in my face tone and ID. I could get it easily and not even warble the target in a small spot. I think it was at about 6 inches. It turned out to be a wheat penny. What i worked hard to find with the Anfibio , the Nox just found and reported with ease. I think the Anfibio is a great machine and very well built, and for a single freq machine is in the top of the list for single freq machines. I did not start a thread and post the footage because i didn't really think it was fair, because the Nox is multi compared to Anfibio. But i will say i have hunted the Nox in single freq and if that were all it was, i would have the Anfibio and not a Nox.

Target was masked and the Anfibio did find it, but i was working very slow, if i were working in a normal swing speed, very possible i could have missed it. Nox working normal, just turn on and swing, nobody would have missed the target. Almost didn't even write this, because of negative feedback possibilities, but this what i have been experiencing between the two. But i will say i think for a single freq machine, the Anfibio is at or near the top.

Yep.
My experiences as well.
Nox reports with ease. A person just listening using Nox wouldn’t even know how crippled the target really is. When they put Deus, Anfibio, Kruzer over they will find out many times. Nox doesn’t get so dragged down. And ID stays more positive, actually many times will read coins maybe only Max 10 points low. Still a great signal.
I have done loads of head to heads.
And single freq on Nox. Most times signals are bummers, 40 kHz single freq will at times give a whimper of tone, but switch to multi and the signal is night and day difference.
Folks should also be mindful.
Detect mode used when using mulit freq can make a huge difference. As far as signal or any signal gotten at all.
A 6-6.5” 22 LF bullet in the wild undisturbed (orientation unknown) for example. Using equivalent settings speed, iron bias and sensitivty wise. Park 2 strongest signal, Field 2 next best. Field 1 a real shoddy signal, park 1 nothing.
Cylindrical shaped park 2 likes better than field 2. Real thin field 2 likes.
Park 1 use imo will miss some half dimes, reals, etc.

Real old colonial period sites for example.
Users of Nox should consider using all park and field detect modes and hunt site many times.
Folks with bad hearing hunting challenging sites looking for any nonferrous really. Nox #1 imo currently. This tinge of a signal bs really don’t happen often with Nox. True the signal can be tight when trying to locate with coil movement. But signal is there. More black and white signals with Nox. Fewer in between tonal wise. Trained ear using Nox is really for Identfying iron. Not spotting nonferrous signal. Genius detector in my book.

Target was masked and the Anfibio did find it, but i was working very slow, if i were working in a normal swing speed, very possible i could have missed it. Nox working normal, just turn on and swing, nobody would have missed the target. Almost didn't even write this, because of negative feedback possibilities, but this what i have been experiencing between the two. But i will say i think for a single freq machine, the Anfibio is at or near the top.[/QUOTE

I'm not claiming one machine is better than the other, but that does not seem like a fair comparison, as you state you were using a small elliptical coil on the Anfibio. The coil makes a tremendous difference.

One thing I liked about the Anfibio is when I was in a coin invested area, I'm talking coin every couple of inches. The Anfibio with multiple coin under the coil I could separate the higher tones. Another words, if I had a quarter, penny and nickel under the coil, I could 360 around the coin mess and easily pick the high tone.
When I do this with Nox, it sounds like I am scratching records! Lol guessing the Anfibio with stock coil, separates extremely well

Thanks and well said. I agree with what you said regarding the anfibio. Great single frequency detector but cant really compete with the nox in simultaneous multi frequency. I have the small coil for anfibio too and need to test it out.

Here is thread I started where the same sized coils were used to compare targets in the wild. As far as Anfibio multi and Nox. And I made adjustments to Anfibio to try and improve signal onnsome targets. Folks can be their own judge. I report you decide. Ground where video done is medium mineralized.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=272152

Hey TNSS. First of all, I certainly like and appreciate your posts and videos. However, to me, this video is placing the Anfibio as the top dog. You are running the Anfibio in 3 tone, which is the weakest/least depth of all the modes it offers, and it still seems to be hanging in there with these other top of the line units. I admit I have only had the Anfibio for a short time, but the only time I would use 3 tone would be in a trash filled park where I am simply hunting for shallow targets, or in an area where the soil is so rocky I don't want to retrieve a deep target. In an open field or not so trashy area, I believe the deep mode or 4 tone will pick up a target that 3 tone won't even come close to detecting. Again, I'm not claiming the Anfibio is a better machine than the Nox or Deus, but just sharing what my experience and results have shown me so far. I'm sure I will be able to give a much better review of the Anfibio a month or two from now, after revisiting some of my former productive sites.

Hey TNSS. First of all, I certainly like and appreciate your posts and videos. However, to me, this video is placing the Anfibio as the top dog. You are running the Anfibio in 3 tone, which is the weakest/least depth of all the modes it offers, and it still seems to be hanging in there with these other top of the line units. I admit I have only had the Anfibio for a short time, but the only time I would use 3 tone would be in a trash filled park where I am simply hunting for shallow targets, or in an area where the soil is so rocky I don't want to retrieve a deep target. In an open field or not so trashy area, I believe the deep mode or 4 tone will pick up a target that 3 tone won't even come close to detecting. Again, I'm not claiming the Anfibio is a better machine than the Nox or Deus, but just sharing what my experience and results have shown me so far. I'm sure I will be able to give a much better review of the Anfibio a month or two from now, after revisiting some of my former productive sites.

Folks can believe what they want.
I can only share my experiences and show on video (unbiased) use of what happens.
Did you notice when inwnet to 2 tone gain of 90 onnthe signals 3 tone struggled with?? What happened?? No improvement actually worse.

Even changing freq to 14 kHz didn’t improve signals.

So here is what I think is going on. Remember this soil is medium mineralized.
And if a person will note, none of the targets very deep in videos above.
Use of 3 tone on EQX punches mineral better, allowing nonferrous to be reported odds wise as nonferrous.
Now, milder ground the other modes like 2 tone, 99 tones, 4 tones may do a better job and yes will be deeper than 3 tones.

In the field I was hunting and locating a target with each model detector and comparing.
Here’s the $64,000 question.
Consider a rookie detectorists.
Which detector seemed to give the best heard distinguishable audio on the go pro in order to defintley recognize nonferrous object under the coil?? And consider all angles swept on all targets in video. Not necessarily the best angle of approach for detected signal.

I can also say with 100 % certainty. Any and all nonferrous targets buried say between 3-7” deep undisturbed and discount ferrous masking in detecting scenario. Which model detector using all modes on and sweeping, which detector model is likely the one to NOT be outsmarted- meaning detect the nonferrous. Guess??

Ever heard of the word obsolete?
This is exactly where Minelab was coming from.
Eqx solves lots of equations on buried nonferrous.
And seems can solve the most- right now. And report MORE clearly.

Yeah, I said what I did above. I am not a Minelab paid for detectorist. I just tell the truth based on my actual testing and use.

Also the Anfibio Multi was given to me to test free of charge. I have tested. But this free part doesn’t mean it gets a free ride when talking about and comparing.

Deus got compared too. I paid for all of the detectors in video but Anfibio Multi.

Last edited:
Folks can believe what they want.
I can only share my experiences and show on video (unbiased) use of what happens.
Did you notice when inwnet to 2 tone gain of 90 onnthe signals 3 tone struggled with?? What happened?? No improvement actually worse.

Even changing freq to 14 kHz didn’t improve signals.

So here is what I think is going on. Remember this soil is medium mineralized.
And if a person will note, none of the targets very deep in videos above.
Use of 3 tone on EQX punches mineral better, allowing nonferrous to be reported odds wise as nonferrous.
Now, milder ground the other modes like 2 tone, 99 tones, 4 tones may do a better job and yes will be deeper than 3 tones.

In the field I was hunting and locating a target with each model detector and comparing.
Here’s the $64,000 question.
Consider a rookie detectorists.
Which detector seemed to give the best heard distinguishable audio on the go pro in order to defintley recognize nonferrous object under the coil?? And consider all angles swept on all targets in video. Not necessarily the best angle of approach for detected signal.

I can also say with 100 % certainty. Any and all nonferrous targets buried say between 3-7” deep undisturbed and discount ferrous masking in detecting scenario. Which model detector using all modes on and sweeping, which detector model is likely the one to NOT be outsmarted- meaning detect the nonferrous. Guess??

Ever heard of the word obsolete?
This is exactly where Minelab was coming from.
Eqx solves lots of equations on buried nonferrous.
And seems can solve the most- right now. And report MORE clearly.

Yeah, I said what I did above. I am not a Minelab paid for detectorist. I just tell the truth based on my actual testing and use.

Also the Anfibio Multi was given to me to test free of charge. I have tested. But this free part doesn’t mean it gets a free ride when talking about and comparing.

Deus got compared too. I paid for all of the detectors in video but Anfibio Multi.

Not sure I understand everything you are stating here, but it sounds to me like you prefer the Nox over the other two machines. I wish you would have been this opinionated back when I was asking you about which of these two machines you preferred. In your defense, you had probably not performed as many tests at that time. Anyway, thanks for your input. I always like to hear what you have to say.

Not sure I understand everything you are stating here, but it sounds to me like you prefer the Nox over the other two machines. I wish you would have been this opinionated back when I was asking you about which of these two machines you preferred. In your defense, you had probably not performed as many tests at that time. Anyway, thanks for your input. I always like to hear what you have to say.

By virtue of more coil options( dd and concentric) Anfibio Multi can find some things Equinox can’t.
Actually Deus can too.
And likely some others.

Milder ground VLF detectors when compared will perform more closely.
As mineral levels rise, and comparing the different models will start to show more difference. Can be nonlinear too (depth, conductivity, size, shape of target).
In the highest mineralization even more.

Some folks may think it takes soil like in Culpeper Va to cause a VLF detector to hiccup and miss a target (or ID nonferrous as iron). Not so.
You run an Eqx against F75 detectors (any series model) in 4 bars ground in a relic site. Hold on you are in for a Wild ride. Eqx will smoke. Big time.
Now remember Civil war bullets are big and their shape lends to a good shadow no mater their orientation. What about smaller/ thinner nice relics?? This is where Nox Will definitely shine. Thinner stuff, buttons, 3 cent pieces of both silvers and nickel reales, the mighty $1 gold coin. Even the $2.50 gold coin. Now this doen’t mean a person can’t find relics in old site with F75.
But how would they know what they missed unless they put Nox in there??
Or even a Deus?

Really this has been going on for a while. The Nox don’t find all either. Just imo odds on favorite as minerals rise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom