Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 04-03-2019, 09:21 AM
Elite Member

Cool design. I might try one some time. That looks like the same material I used but my roll was 36" wide. I have made 3 and have plenty left over. Thanks for the pic.

Cliff

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 3087525 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!
Old 04-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Gigmaster just posted a How-to

https://youtu.be/Krns5ELaZj0

Old 04-05-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by NHhunter View post
Gigmaster just posted a How-to

https://youtu.be/Krns5ELaZj0
Outstanding video. Big thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

I'll likely make one for my trip to NC this summer...but if you have a scoop, is this really useful? The sand should sift through the holes in the scoop. Is this more for people using non-holed scoops or shovels?

Old 04-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Wash Basket

Hey!
Last year I got one of these plastic baskets used for gardening. I zip tyed some pool noodles around the edge and it floats pretty well.

It's sturdy, and the holes are small enough to catch most coins and things. I also like that it has folding feet for when you're on shore, and the handles so you can use it like a basket and carry your gear.

They're sold at lee valley in Canada, maybe US too?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...120,33278&ap=1

Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TDB_digs View post
Hey!

Last year I got one of these plastic baskets used for gardening. I zip tyed some pool noodles around the edge and it floats pretty well.

It's sturdy, and the holes are small enough to catch most coins and things. I also like that it has folding feet for when you're on shore, and the handles so you can use it like a basket and carry your gear.

They're sold at lee valley in Canada, maybe US too?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...120,33278&ap=1
I've not seen those. I'll have to look for them. I can think of several uses for them. Thanks for posting.

Cliff

Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
I'll likely make one for my trip to NC this summer...but if you have a scoop, is this really useful? The sand should sift through the holes in the scoop. Is this more for people using non-holed scoops or shovels?
You can take a few scoops and just dump it directly onto the sifter. No need to shake the scoop in the water. I usually just dump 3 or 4 scoop fulls onto it and keep hunting for the next target. Once in a while I'll check the sifter for a glint of gold. The more targets and the faster I recover them = greater chance of gold

Old 04-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post

For me the water I hunt is rocky, so the scoop stays full of rocks. When not rocky, like the above poster said. Itís quicker to dump and move on than clear the scoop out each target.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:26 PM
Elite Member

You can make a simple one on the cheap with the top 3 inches or so of a five gallon bucket , some hardware cloth or plastic mesh and a pool noodle. I had a classifier like that I made for gold prospecting , just added pool noodle and rope to pull it with. Not as big as some others but it actually worked good. And the size made it highly portable. Just thought I would mention it since its easy and made of things a lot of people might already have around the house.

Old 04-14-2019, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Steve View post
You can take a few scoops and just dump it directly onto the sifter. No need to shake the scoop in the water. I usually just dump 3 or 4 scoop fulls onto it and keep hunting for the next target. Once in a while I'll check the sifter for a glint of gold. The more targets and the faster I recover them = greater chance of gold

Good point. I have spare pool noodles that my eldest child used to prevent things from dropping from her top bunk that I could use.