Have you ever returned a find and not gotten a Thank You?

NectarDetector

Forum Supporter
Have you ever returned a find and not gotten a Thank You?

On veterans day a few years back I was detecting in a field near my house when I found not one but two WWII dog tags, from two different guys.

I was able to locate the daughter of one of the guys and was able to return his dog tag to her. She never said Thank You and that bothered me.

I didn't expect a reward or anything like that, but figured that she would at least appreciate having her dads dog tags...maybe she did appreciate it, she just never told me that.

Someone mentioned that maybe she and her dad had a bad relationship. The only thing I can say to that is then why didn't she say No when I asked her if she wanted the dog tag?

Anyway, she didn't say thanks but at least I did the right thing, even if it was spoiled by feeling as if she was ungrateful so I 'really' didn't get to feel good about the return ultimately.

What about you, have you returned at item to someone who appeared ungrateful?

It's like that in general. All you can do is not let it make you a hardened person. I did a lot of free work doing Plumbing for senior citizens. One day my Plumbing company did free work for habitat for humanity. Well most are grateful. But this one lady when we were finishing up instead of saying thanks says. "make sure you take all your krap with you when you are done and don't leave a mess":shock:. Next time they asked for volunteers nobody showed up.

It's like that in general. All you can do is not let it make you a hardened person. I did a lot of free work doing Plumbing for senior citizens. One day my Plumbing company did free work for habitat for humanity. Well most are grateful. But this one lady when we were finishing up instead of saying thanks says. "make sure you take all your krap with you when you are done and don't leave a mess":shock:. Next time they asked for volunteers nobody showed up.

Can't say that I blame the volunteers for not coming back!

I can tell you for a fact from my policing days, that's just how some people are, ungrateful and unappreciative, and it doesn't matter if you just returned some long lost or stolen item, or pulled their drowning kid out of a river, or just literally saved their life. Some people don't know what gratitude means, don't care that they are being beyond rude when someone helps them... and they don't lose even a tiny bit of sleep over it.

Don't let it get you down, the majority of people really are nice. It's that lousy 1-2% of rotten human beings that make it worse for everyone than it has to be.

Yep. I have mailed a few class rings back to minors by way of the school they attend's secretary. Not wanting to try to contact a minor themselves I talk to the secretary on the phone just mail it right to the school.

Not one thank you, not one acknowledgement. I don't waste my time and postage anymore.

Yep. One time I found a lost set of car keys. The husband grabbed the keys out of my hand and without a word marched the whole family towards the parking lot. Before they got about 20 feet away I yelled "HEY!" at them. They all turned around and I yelled "YOU'RE WELCOME!"

The man stared at me like he didn't know who I was. The wife blushed and whispered "Thank you." and hurried away. There were a couple of people sitting nearby that started laughing and a couple of them congratulated me for putting the ingrate in his place. :laughing:

Yes a few times. 1 that really ticked me off was during a water hunt. A guy comes running over to me saying he just lost his class ring that he just got a week before. I spent 30 min looking where they said they where in the water and then found it 20 yards away in the water. His mom or him never said thank you. He grabbed it and said I am going now before I lose it again. Ohh well. It was his he told me the name and school before I found it.

Because of the ungrateful I have now asked for shipping charges UP FRONT before I send another ring back. I will still return them BUT I refuse to be out time for finding it, time for researching AND on top of that postage.

The one that really upset me was the USAF pilot ring from 1946. Not a peep from the family after over two years of searching. They got it back about a week before Christmas a few years back.

I found a class ring, it had the name engraved inside, and I contacted the school about it. The person I talked to actually knew the woman, as they had been in the same class, and she said she would contact the owner of the ring.

I gave my phone number, and a couple days later, the woman owner called me and was so happy I had found the ring. We chatted a little, and she gave me her address, about 100 miles away. She said if I send the ring, she would happily reimburse me the postage.

So, I had found the ring in my town, in a soccer field, on Sunday. On Wednesday I mailed the ring to the owner. Never heard anything back from her.

I found a class ring, it had the name engraved inside, and I contacted the school about it. The person I talked to actually knew the woman, as they had been in the same class, and she said she would contact the owner of the ring.

I gave my phone number, and a couple days later, the woman owner called me and was so happy I had found the ring. We chatted a little, and she gave me her address, about 100 miles away. She said if I send the ring, she would happily reimburse me the postage.

So, I had found the ring in my town, in a soccer field, on Sunday. On Wednesday I mailed the ring to the owner. Never heard anything back from her.

Ridiculous... just makes me shake my head to think a person can't be bothered to at the very least say Thank You.

I know it's disappointing when you go out of your way to help a stranger and they are unappreciative, paranoid or just don't have the proper upbringing to show common courtesy. All you can do is have the satisfaction in knowing that you did the right thing. It's called karma.

Back
Top Bottom