Scratched off another bucket lister!

Mistersippi

You know those trash signals in those trashy yards where everything sounds the same! This is one of those trash signals! Found a 1942 Walking Liberty Half Dollar (Not greatest condition) and a semi key date 1912 D Wheat Cent (Also not in greatest condition). I was beginning to wonder if I was ever gonna find a silver dollar/half dollar!

Attachments

• 06D03E8E-18C8-43C4-A7BA-F3BFAA51290B.jpg
    06D03E8E-18C8-43C4-A7BA-F3BFAA51290B.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 862E8911-FC32-4160-94E8-9E9824C29B0E.jpg
    862E8911-FC32-4160-94E8-9E9824C29B0E.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 458
  • D2BD0C4F-6ED8-450F-BB57-167C6917AA9B.jpg
    D2BD0C4F-6ED8-450F-BB57-167C6917AA9B.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 434
Nice job. When I found my only walker, it was a trashy signal as well. Almost didn't dig it and was in shock when it popped out of the soft ground under a trio of big pine trees.

Thanks ToySoldier! Whats your thoughts on throwing the wheat cent in the tumbler and hoping for the best or should I leave it as is?

In the present condition you have--at most--a 5 dollar coin. So, it comes down to what you think will result in the most enjoyment when you look at it. I probably wouldn't. I can see all of the important details and I like the dark patina. After all, I think some of these coins SHOULD look like they've been in the ground for 100 years.

The patina is probably sturdy enough to stand up to a quick 30-60 minute tumble. You could probably improve the details a bit if you want. But, when the patina comes off I find that they have more detail but can't always be viewed clearly from straight on.

The nice thing about tumbling is that there's no harm in stopping the tumbler and checking. But, you have to completely dry the coin with a blow dryer to know how it's really going to turn out.

In the present condition you have--at most--a 5 dollar coin. So, it comes down to what you think will result in the most enjoyment when you look at it. I probably wouldn't. I can see all of the important details and I like the dark patina. After all, I think some of these coins SHOULD look like they've been in the ground for 100 years.

The patina is probably sturdy enough to stand up to a quick 30-60 minute tumble. You could probably improve the details a bit if you want. But, when the patina comes off I find that they have more detail but can't always be viewed clearly from straight on.

The nice thing about tumbling is that there's no harm in stopping the tumbler and checking. But, you have to completely dry the coin with a blow dryer to know how it's really going to turn out.

Thanks for the detailed response! I agree I don’t wanna lose the patina but I do want to remove the crust if posible. I’ll sit on it for a while as I can always go back and clean it!

Thanks for the detailed response! I agree I don’t wanna lose the patina but I do want to remove the crust if posible. I’ll sit on it for a while as I can always go back and clean it!

Sounds like a plan. In the meantime, maybe you can go through your wheats and see if there's another in similar condition and experiment on it.

Walkers are fantastic. I've only found two ever. They seem to be rare around my parts, or at least they keep clear of me. Nicely done!

Sounds like a plan. In the meantime, maybe you can go through your wheats and see if there's another in similar condition and experiment on it.

I actually have been, it’s kinda a toss up on how they come out. Some the patina sticks while others don’t, even in the same batch. I’ve noticed sometimes the newer ones with the most detail come out looking brand new while older ones can be iffy. I was kinda thinking about doing just a plain water tumble on some. I got a whole bunch now just sitting in a tin I’ll experiment with.

Walkers are fantastic. I've only found two ever. They seem to be rare around my parts, or at least they keep clear of me. Nicely done!

Thanks I have only been in this hobby for a short time and I have found some incredible finds that people who have been detecting for many years have never found. But some things like the walking liberty, Morgan and all the other big silvers seem very rare to find and I never expect to find one but always hope for them!

You mentioned this was a 'trash' signal. What did the VDI show? I'm going to order an AT Max soon and figure the VDIs will be very similar to those on the AT Pro. VERY nice finds, by the way!

You mentioned this was a 'trash' signal. What did the VDI show? I'm going to order an AT Max soon and figure the VDIs will be very similar to those on the AT Pro. VERY nice finds, by the way!

It rang up as a scratchy bouncing number that would hit in the 70s one swing and 92 the next but there was multiple metals in the hole ranging from iron, aluminum and the coin. I was just expecting a can at that point. I had my DD coil as I was going around testing out new sites so it may have been a different story if I had a smaller coil on.

It rang up as a scratchy bouncing number that would hit in the 70s one swing and 92 the next but there was multiple metals in the hole ranging from iron, aluminum and the coin. I was just expecting a can at that point. I had my DD coil as I was going around testing out new sites so it may have been a different story if I had a smaller coil on.

Do you use a smaller coil? Still looking at packages and several offer the 5x8 as an option.

Back
Top Bottom