Found an 1818 Matron Head Large Cent Today!

Nothing better than hunting after the rain melts the snow cover! Ground is totally saturated right now. Went back to the spot where I found my 1876 seated dime a few days ago. Froze my butt off on a windy 42 degree day, but I was rewarded with a large cent!

Rang up as a very strong 90 signal. Thought maybe a honking silver ring, but spotted a LC instead about 7 inches down. Pretty toasted, but I think it's an 1818 matron head. Nice to get rewarded once in awhile for kneeling on wet and cold ground!

Not the best pics, but better than nothing. I really need a new camera!

those are tough to get in good condition due to the softness of metal Great find!!

What type of area? Private property? Field? Park? Woods? Lol

Two baseball fields that were built in the 1980's. I think this spot must have been a public park for many years before that, though. I'm glad they didn't bring in a lot of fill to level the fields or I never would have found any good coins.

Oldest coin I've found there was an 1798 large cent. Lots of coins from the 1850 to 1880 era as well. IHC's, a two cent piece, 2 shield nickels, seated half dime and dime. Oddball finds include a hard times token from 1833 and a token that looks like a braided hair LC, but has no date (toasted and could never identify). Also found a lead barrel tap from the mid-1800's. A handful of large caliber musket balls as well.

Not much past 1880 or so, which is odd. Three Merc's, a silver Rosie and a war nickel, if I remember correctly. No big silver at all. Probably got cherry picked by someone many years ago. I have run into a few guys detecting there over the years, but I guess they missed a lot of good stuff!

Back
Top Bottom