A First For Me

Nick93023

Forum Supporter
Well it finally happened. I was hunting one of my favorite spots last night. I started two hours prior to the low tide at my favorite beach. There was a nice slope huge surf. This was about 8:30 pm and there were still lots of people on the beach, and swimmers in the water.

I was the only detectorist swinging my coil. Usually there is at least one other person hunting. I was hunting from the towel line to the water and keeping a loose grid until I observed a few girls walking in from the surf. Just before they got out of the water I noticed they took a step into a deep spot and went waste deep. Prior to this deep spot they were at knee to ankle deep.

There was an invisible cut there and I started hunting in that and there were a lot of coins and trash. I finally got another trash signal, but knowing that this same signal revealed my 60 gram chain several weeks earlier, it was still a noise that was fresh in my head. It even repeated each time I swung the nox over it. This was in the water, maybe 2-3 feet down. It took several scoops and FINALLy out popped a nice looking ladies ring with lots of mini stones! The stones tested fake. I could tell it was gold just by the color.

I could not read the marking on it last night as it was very fine and I did not have my loop in my vehicle. I was able to read it in the morning with natural light and it was stamped "NG 10k". Finally my first gold ring!

I continued to hunt this beach for another couple hours until the tide came in and my feet were raw. Nothing more but a hoop earring and some coins. I found a place to stay for the night and I slept on a cot for the night in the back of my vehicle in order to hunt the low tide the following morning. I tried a beach that I have always been skunked at, and again, I was SKUNKED. the surf was huge and there was even a decent slope, but no luck. I don't see myself hunting this beach much more.

20180818_195633_zpsd94thgde.jpg

20180818_195652_zpsgqvhrw6v.jpg

20180818_195804_zpsv9psp28n.jpg

Nice find.

For footwear I use Soft Science bootie waders. Check them out on line I got mine at Academy Sporting goods in Florida because I wanted to try them on before purchase

Congratulations on your GOLD! I loved your post! How you were paying attention to conditions, your persistence in your target, sleeping out, etc...Good on ya! I like the cut of your jib! :friends:

Great job paying attention...most people wouldn't have noticed that (although, they WERE girls...of course you were watching them just to make sure they got to shore safely, right? :) )

Nice work! Congrats on the gold!

I found a NG marked 14k ring a few years back. The G is up in the upper right line of the N?

Sweet ring!

One that will last in your memory forever and a nice one!!

:dingding: Nice! Way to pay attention and take advantage of the condition you noted.

Congrats! Wait, whats ng...not gold!:laughing:

Not gold, uhhh, I better send it to you!

Big congrats on the gold! Beautiful ring.

Curious what it rang up on the nox?

It was a solid, repeatable 10. Sounded great!

good story. good pix.

Thanks Tom!!

Nice find.

For footwear I use Soft Science bootie waders. Check them out on line I got mine at Academy Sporting goods in Florida because I wanted to try them on before purchase

I have Mares hard bottom dive boots. I like them, but when I am not in and out of the water they get too hot. When I am in the water, they do not drain so well so my feet are just soaking in the water. There is no happy medium. I also have a pair of Keen Newport sandals that are very supportive with a great arch, but the gravel and sand flows right in. Also the sand crabs find there way in!
Very nice find. Got to love the deep spots.

Yea, I will keep an eye out for them in the future!

Congratulations on your GOLD! I loved your post! How you were paying attention to conditions, your persistence in your target, sleeping out, etc...Good on ya! I like the cut of your jib! :friends:

Thanks Mud! I have to commute a bit to the better beaches, so I usually make it a two or three hunt kind of thing.

Great job paying attention...most people wouldn't have noticed that (although, they WERE girls...of course you were watching them just to make sure they got to shore safely, right? :) )

Well I was definitely checking out the girls so I blame the good luck on them!

Congrats on your first gold ring Nick! That's a nice looking ring and the first of many I bet. :yes:

Thanks George! Nothing like one of your hunts, but it put me on the board!

:dingding: Nice! Way to pay attention and take advantage of the condition you noted.

Thanks Felix! It is what made the hunt!

Back
Top Bottom