Would a vlf find this gold

Steve

Forum Supporter
Check out the black sand. Found around 14" down or so. Inside sections are caked in black sand too. Found with the tdi... Would a bbs or fbs be able to nail it? Salt water wetsand

Attachments

• 20170903_223159_resized.jpg
    20170903_223159_resized.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 207
  • wx_camera_1504486739644.jpg
    wx_camera_1504486739644.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 206
14" down? Doubt it. Not all black sand is created equal.

You will never ever know if another machine would have found it without putting the coil over it BEFORE it was dug. Just won't be fair to speculate.

Check out the black sand. Found around 14" down or so. Inside sections are caked in black sand too. Found with the tdi... Would a bbs or fbs be able to nail it? Salt water wetsand

Congrats on the buttery pendant!!! Hmmmm, I suppose it depends on the weight of that pendant, detector settings and coil size. Here are some of my experiences for reference....
  • Explorer + 15" coil. 2g silver crucifix in black sand at about the same depth.
  • CTX + 17" coil. 1.1g silver heart (open design, not solid) in black sand at 14-16".
  • Excal + 10" coil. 3g men's ring in black sand at 9-10".
  • I had my Sea Hunter (PI) in dense black sand that made it irradic/false. The SH missed a 6-8" silver dime that the CTX quickly ID'd.

Congrats on the buttery pendant!!! Hmmmm, I suppose it depends on the weight of that pendant, detector settings and coil size. Here are some of my experiences for reference....
  • Explorer + 15" coil. 2g silver crucifix in black sand at about the same depth.
  • CTX + 17" coil. 1.1g silver heart (open design, not solid) in black sand at 14-16".
  • Excal + 10" coil. 3g men's ring in black sand at 9-10".
  • I had my Sea Hunter (PI) in dense black sand that made it irradic/false. The SH missed a 6-8" silver dime that the CTX quickly ID'd.

Good to know. The df would have been falsing for sure. The tdi sl is never erratic. Your depths cause me to question my pi route.... maybe these guys swinging 17" ctx coils 20ft away are nailing more gold than I thought. Weight was 10.5g

Good to know. The df would have been falsing for sure. The tdi sl is never erratic. Your depths cause me to question my pi route.... maybe these guys swinging 17" ctx coils 20ft away are nailing more gold than I thought. Weight was 10.5g

Yeah.....settings and technique are the biggest influence on finds. Under OPTIMAL CONDITIONS the CTX 17" will gain more depth than the 8" Sea Hunter and 11" DetectorPro Pulse. IMO the CTX is equal to the SH with the 10x14"....but again, settings are key. If you are in Sea Mode, the CTX will lose some sensitivity & depth, but you can still disc out unwanted junk.

FWIW. My bud with a TDI claims about 6" more with his TDI than CTX17". :?:

Yeah.....settings and technique are the biggest influence on finds. Under OPTIMAL CONDITIONS the CTX 17" will gain more depth than the 8" Sea Hunter and 11" DetectorPro Pulse. IMO the CTX is equal to the SH with the 10x14"....but again, settings are key. If you are in Sea Mode, the CTX will lose some sensitivity & depth, but you can still disc out unwanted junk.

FWIW. My bud with a TDI claims about 6" more with his TDI than CTX17". :?:

The tdi isn't as deep as the atx but I like the threshold, weight and target response. Standing on the beach right now having a scratch my head moment... 1 mile long beach... 2 detectorists. The guy sees me and now detecting 20ft away cutting into the section I'm hitting. No common sense or decency with these people

Nice piece of gold! Not sure what other machines would find it, but a bbs can be pretty deadly in the right hands...

Only 14" in black sand and salt? My AtPro would knock my headphones off on a big signal that shallow!:laughing::laughing: And the chain it was on too!

(Nice one there Steve!)

Last edited:

Hard to say from your pix just how "black" the sand is. But let me just say that any small pendant like that: ANY standard coin machine (VLF, BBS, etc...) would have a hard time getting that at 14". Even without black wet salt sand. Perhaps a Sovereign with 10" or wot coil. And then for sure if you went into all-metal mode, yes you could get it (assuming the sand isn't too nasty mineralized). 14" is deeep for a target that small.

.... but you can still disc out unwanted junk....

BINGO ! This is the bigger issue in my mind. Because .... SURE: People can point out dainty items they found at great depths, or super black sand they cut through effortlessly, by using a variety of pulse machines available (TDI, etc...).

But the devil can be in the details. Example: This morning I was at a beach where some erosion has been going on for the last few days. I got a platinum and diamond ring, and 50+ coins, etc... And I kid you not that I passed probably 70 + nails. I could hear them in the low reject growl. In fact, I use them to tell me when I'm in the pocket settle zones, haha.

And yes I know that some people claim to know how to reject them on the basis of audio using their pulse machines. But those persons don't last long on nail-riddled beaches. We see them "leaving for greener grounds".

Perhaps on touristy clean beaches, that don't allow beach bonfires (which introduce nails) then sure. But if erosion has made target pockets thick and fast (such that depth is no longer an issue), then the LAST thing you want to be doing is spending all your time digging bobbie pins, etc... JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom