Gold n Silver at iron beach

therover

My friend Matt and I hit a beach in NJ that is known as 'Iron beach'. This place literally has huge iron, medium iron, small iron and anything in between. I used my Gold Bug SE and he used his AT Pro for the first time. I think we picked the right units, since I believe our Minelabs may have been nulling every sweep, and my CZ may have falsed repeatedly with all the iron around.

I bagged 2 silver quarters, 6 dimes, a Buffalo and what looks like a really old gold cross. The cross is totally covered in iron residue, and I don't have a clue what the best way to get rid of that garbage. I got a little off to see if it was gold with a wire brush, but I think I may go the jewelry ultrasonic route first.

Matt got 3 silver quarters ( a Barber, Standing Liberty and Washington) 4 silver dimes and a 10K school ring from 1926. The only sad part was part of the bottom of the ring is broken off.

We also got about 12-15 beat up wheaties. Funny thing is, we only hit 2-3 clad coins between us. It was an old coin day for sure.

The Gold Bug and AT Pro ran super and with the super fast recovery speeds of those units, we got all these coins among loads of iron junk.

Attachments

• crossnsilver.jpg
    crossnsilver.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 393
  • cross.jpg
    cross.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 392
Awesome day therover. Do you have a picture of all the Iron junk you guys dug? I'm just curious how much Iron you had gone thru to get to all that good stuff. Nice finds, love the standing liberty!

Awesome day therover. Do you have a picture of all the Iron junk you guys dug? I'm just curious how much Iron you had gone thru to get to all that good stuff. Nice finds, love the standing liberty!

yea how much junk did you have to go through to get these coins?

I wish I had a picture, and will take my camera next time. The iron I am talking about ranges from huge pipes sticking out of the ground, huge chunks of concrete with rusty re-bar sticking out, machinery parts ( I saw what looked like a big rusty pulley...maybe 10 inches in diameter). The place is a very old beach and part of the old pier was now sticking out of the sand ( last several times I have been there, I did not see these pilings).

There were also lots of pieces of small copper ( which drove us nuts because they sound and ID just like the coins), from I guess old piping or whatever was made out of it from the early 1900's.

This beach continues to produce old coins, but the conditions have to be right and you have to be willing to go slow and have patience.

I'm very familiar with the beach you are talking about, I hunt there once in a while. . . I can assure everyone here, you are not exaggerating at all! This place is LOADED with iron, like you said tho, the good stuff is there for sure, you just need a lot of patience and persistence! ;) Here is my thread on here from my last trip to Iron beach . . . . w/ pics

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68099&highlight=iron+beach

I use an electrolysis setup to remove the iron from the coins, if nothing else, it loosens it well enough for you to be able to scrape it off. Good luck & happy hunting!

Good to hear you are using the Gold Bug SE, Not many folks know about this MD'er being used on salt beaches....word is their getting good depth. Congrats on your finds! ;)

I wish I had a picture, and will take my camera next time. The iron I am talking about ranges from huge pipes sticking out of the ground, huge chunks of concrete with rusty re-bar sticking out, machinery parts ( I saw what looked like a big rusty pulley...maybe 10 inches in diameter). The place is a very old beach and part of the old pier was now sticking out of the sand ( last several times I have been there, I did not see these pilings).

There were also lots of pieces of small copper ( which drove us nuts because they sound and ID just like the coins), from I guess old piping or whatever was made out of it from the early 1900's.

This beach continues to produce old coins, but the conditions have to be right and you have to be willing to go slow and have patience.

Sounds like a nightmare spot for a pulse ;) Good job on all the finds :)

Great finds. I was just thinking about taking the goldmaster to the beach on the next trip to look for chains and small gold, I`ll take my PI just in case it proves tedious.

Back
Top Bottom