• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Question for gold/jewelry hunters

Jfarley06

Hey i've made it a goal to start looking for jewelry and gold this year and was hoping someone with experience could help me. i usually coin shoot but would like to add a little diversity to my hunting. I've heard that for gold you pretty much got to dig all the pull tabs. Is this true? I mean is there a certain range of signals/ depth you stick to or is it pretty much only discriminating iron and digging all solid signals? I live in indiana so theres not many beaches near me so i'd be hunting parks/soccer fields and i expect hundreds if not thousands of holes being dug for one ring. Thanks in advance.

Pulltabs do fall into the same VDI range as gold but on my GT gold is slightly lower in tone than a pulltab... but I still dig pulltabs because you just never know :)

I like to hunt for jewelry as much or more than coins, I turn my discrimination up just enough to reject a small nail & dig the rest.

Digging the precious jewelry is number 1 with me so I pretty much follow what skiwhiz posted. It's a teriffic amount of digging sometimes but I usually end the year with 40 or more solid gold items. steve in so az

I dig everything except iron, do yourself a favor research, maybe library etc look for old swimming sites. Maybe old newspapers at the library. Talk to some old timers and see where they use to swim as a kid. A little research will go a long way in the gold ring finds dept..

Your odds will increase 100 times over hunting near or in the old swimming holes past and present vs. a field . Your area could be rich in old swimming holes. Would only take one old swimming hole to start producing all that old gold good luck....

Hey i've made it a goal to start looking for jewelry and gold this year and was hoping someone with experience could help me. i usually coin shoot but would like to add a little diversity to my hunting. I've heard that for gold you pretty much got to dig all the pull tabs. Is this true? I mean is there a certain range of signals/ depth you stick to or is it pretty much only discriminating iron and digging all solid signals? I live in indiana so theres not many beaches near me so i'd be hunting parks/soccer fields and i expect hundreds if not thousands of holes being dug for one ring. Thanks in advance.

Check my post "Why do beginners have all the Luck..."
As I sai, when I first got a machine that had a meter, and pin pointed and VDI's, I was a Ring finding fool, But once I got used to the machine etc, I got Lazy, and started making assumptions etc, and dug less in the tab range, thus finding fewer rings.
Look for solid re peatable signals with a constant VDI, not one jumping around from 18+ to 28+ and back, but if it is solid 4 ways and says +32+33
thats a good one,:shock:

Back
Top Bottom