Compadre still picking up nails

lakeerie4ever

well i figured if i set above iron i would disc these out i have set it to max and still get these rusty nails? am i doing something wrong?:?:

well i figured if i set above iron i would disc these out i have set it to max and still get these rusty nails? am i doing something wrong?:?:

Listen for the full sounding round tones, ignore the half beeps. The ones that don't seem to end in a nice round full beep. That's why you keep digging nails. Those little blips and clips of audio aren't diggable signals.

Metal detectors, detect conductive materials, metal. That's all you can be 100% sure of, and even then, I think I've been fooled a few times by oak tree roots. When you discriminate, or rely on TID numbers, you are potentially passing up potentially good targets, to save time and effort. I hit my yard a lot, it gets hot around here, and I know I probably don't want to stay out very long, or take breaks in the cool AC. Dark clouds, can mean rain at any time, a light sprinkle or a torrential downpour, never can be sure, so I play safe. I started out, going after the good stuff, discriminated out iron, foil, zinc, and passed up signals that didn't lock into something good. After exhausting the sure things, I backed off the discrimination, and started digging the confused signals. Be running no discrimination and all metal, past couple of months, digging every thing that repeats, and not solid iron, or huge. Unbelievable, how many pounds of nails I've pulled out of the ground. Been using a strong magnet, more than the Propointer, but still finding coins, mostly pennies, even a couple of wheats. My property has been search many times, thoroughly, but still produces.

Discrimination and TID are shortcuts, basically statistical guesses. The detector can only measure electrical characteristics, not atomic characteristics. There are 16 different flavors of iron rust, and they will show up differently. You can mask them all out, but you are also masking out anything similar, electrically. Really up to the individual, pounds of nails, and only a few pennies, some brass and copper junk. I keep looking, because I've yet to dig silver in my yard, but have found 21 wheat, a few other coins in the silver range or close, several other older relics, that leads me to believe there should be some silver around, just probably too deep to detect or dig. Pretty sure there is a bout 5-6 inches of fill dirt, because underneath is the where the many nails are found.

Bonesquat is probably right been digging everything i need to get coins and rings so i can see what they sound like to train myself

Im very new to this but what I do is after a hunt take all my trash in. I sit the machine down flat and I just start to swing coins, trash, rings, what ever in front of machine and listen to the difference in sound. And while it may be a one noise machine I swear I'm stating to hear a differenceb of sounds from different things. So I suggest you sit with different objects and just swing them like I said and try to learn your machines language.

I love my compadre it is a great little detector. It took me some time but I have slowly learned to hear what it is saying. I tend to dig any repeatable signal but most of the time my guesses are close to what I find. I can call pull tabs almost every time. Give the machine time and you will learn what it is saying to you also.

I've read this post and your pull tab post as well. I'm of the opinion that Slingshot has, there is something wrong with your detector from the sound of it. Did you buy it new or used? How long have you had it and been using it? Has it always worked this way for you? The discrimination should work as it's supposed to. Do some air tests to be sure though. Take your nail and pull tab and making sure you are not wearing jewelry like a ring or have the coil near any metal, wave those targets in front of the coil while turning the discrimination knob. Note where they start breaking up and where they cannot be heard any long on the dial. If the nails don't fall out on or soon after iron and the tab is still picked up after the tab setting, looks like you have a problem. You report those items still picking up at max discrimination? If this is so in your air tests then I would say a call to Tesoro and a trip to the factory is necessary.

Do that testing and see what your results are. This is a good place for advice and there is a lot of knowledge here by better, more experienced folks than me but a call to Tesoro may be a wiser choice.

Single tone

I have been using my Deleon more lately. That single tone has so many different variables that it takes a while to know what it is saying. I'm still learning mine too, but I can check it with my TID and Graphs. Like you I test mine all the time except I "carry" a baggy full of Rings and Charms and scrap finds! I swing over them often and any surface scraps at my search sites. That is all we can do to learn that tones different variations. The advice to move the nails etc across near your Coil until it breaks up and fades off Is the way to go! I can tell you from experience that people do get defective MDs New!!! .....,GL & HH......Pat

All detectors have the same problem because as the rust seeps out into the surrounding soil an makes a weird matrix of minerals that causes returns that don't read like iron to the detector. if you dig up the nail and wave it in front of the detector it will still show a little but should be mostly disc'ed out.

There are some constants to this affect, to often it looks like a good silver or quarter signal.

This is part of the reason why you hear complaints from owners of Etracs and other detectors with lots of TID features about passing up good targets while their beep and dig friends clean up the finds. It tricks people into believing they know what an iffy signal looks like all the time, when instead they just need to dig more.

The discrimination on my new Compadre is so precise I can set it to where the troublesome bottle cap will just blip and still find a coin next to it. I can also set it to reject a paper clip and small nail, but it will give a scratchy blip on an iron bolt. It's not fooled by iron like most detectors.:cool: Something's amiss.

Back
Top Bottom