A bit more Minelab X-Terra 505 advice.

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
Hello,

I was wondering if there is someone who uses their XT505 very well that could give me some tips.

I just got my 505 and I only had my 305 very shortly before going with it so I havnt had A LOT of time on either machine, majority of my time was spent on a F2, but basically I wanted to back seat the F2 for a machine with ground balance. I really wanted to go with the XT705 with the automatic but just couldnt afford it atm so went with the 505 so I could give my dad the 30 so we both had GB machines. ( I am still saving for my FBS machine)

Basically I am wondering a couple things. this even happens with the 305 too, when I put it in AM mode I know your suppose to find a clean pick of ground to GB too and it seems like it goes nuts EVERYWHERE in my soil so I kinda just pick a spot where I kinda thing I am good at and go off that, but then like 3 steps away its way off again lol.

So do I need to really GB it every 3 steps? or can I just let it go for awhile and still get good results?

what does everyone else use for hunting in high mineralized area as far as sensitivity? I've been having to keep it in the mid range, like 12-15 but still seem to false quite a bit, I know i need to learn it more, but just seems like its falsing a lot more then I had hoped with the upgrade. I just bought my NEL Hunter coil, should be in this week I am hoping that helps a bit. but what do you guys thing?

I just feel like I never have the GB setup right lol (only when in high mineralized soil. low mineral soil I can GB it and be good all day, I only 2nd guess myself in the complex soil)

any help would rock! Thanks guys and gals

HH DT

Excessive falsing is generally due to the SENS being too high, unless there is EMI present. Try backing it down one step at a time until it runs stable.

If EMI is the culprit, adjust the Noise Cancel Channel until quiet.

I'm betting on the SENS being too high. Our ground in Michigan can easily change some in a few feet. Having the SENS too high will amplify the difference to the machine, causing it to be too sensitive to the ground minerals, which in turn are indicated by falses.

Factory sens is 12, the 505 will go deep so you dont have to run high sens. AM should be ran all of the time, if you hate the AM mode run mode 1 only, it notches out iron only, but i run AM mode all of the time. Here is my guide.
Large cent =44
Flying eagle cent=20,22
Indian head. =24,28,30,32
Wheatie. =34,36,38
Clad cent. =32
2 cent. =42
3 cent. =24
Nickle. =10,12
40% silver nickle =12,14,16
Silver hlf dime. =30
Silver dime. =36,38,40
Clad dime. =36
Quarter. =40,42
Half dollar. =44
Silver dollar. =44
$5 gold. =26
$10 gold. =34
$20 gold. =38

Also if it jumps around thats fine, but it can only jump by 2's, like 24,26,28 and only by 3 numbers, just like before 12,14,16!!!! If it goes 12,30,24,14 its foil or junk dont dig. Also bullets usually ring up 27 on the 505. If you go to youtube.com/kshollywood and watch some videos of mine you will see what i have found with mine, the xterra line of detectors are awesome, oh please leave a comment or 2 on my page,,,, i hope i helped.

Dont get me wrong the x-terras are AWESOME machines, I am keeping my 305, but I think the upgrade to the 505 just wasnt enough for me so I am going to a FBS machine and keeping my 305 and selling the 505. Your list is the same list I use, I think I got mine from Understanding Your XTerra and added a few of my own to it, it did everything it was suppose to do, except i seems my biggest 2 digging area's that even with low sensitivity it just bounces around way to much in my soil (btw ya I run in mode 1 unless relic hunting then AM) we will see how the FBS does. Either way I will for sure check out your yourtube channel as long as you pass along my FUTURE Treasure Hunting Auction site! ehe still under construction, but ya getdiggin.com!

Thanks,
DT

Back
Top Bottom