Why do Beginners have all the Luck?.......

Silver Eagle

Hey all, I am by no means a beginner, but I have decided to get back to basics, and UN Learn a few things.
My theory is, when a newby gets a machine, they are un familiar with and have not as of yet, had near the experiance. When a noob's machine sounds off and says "nickle\ring" all they see is ring. Never mind the signal is raspy or broken, they just dig.
Now a lot of them will get discouraged after a billion pulltabs and get it finally, then fall into the pit. Ya know, dismissing most signals in that range as trash. Well this has been my curse, and I have started looking into those signals a little better and slower, and my luck has changed.
DannO:yes:

You are on the right track there. I started out this season with the motto to 'dig everything' and so far it's working. I have found 7 nickels (only 1 last year) and my first gold. Too many pull tabs to count, but that's the price we pay for finding the good stuff. Good Luck with your 'new' beginning. : )

This is where my etrac comes in and saves the day
Nickels come up 11-13,12 -13
Pull tabs come up 12-37, 12-38
This is just a general range it could vary.

I guess what I was sayin, back in the early to mid 70's, our machines did not have all the bells and whistles that todays machines have nor did they go as deep. We had to rely on instinct, not readouts. I cannot tell you the number of times I have had a signal go null when sweeping one way and sound off loud the other, only to try and pinpoint and find a nail 3" down and then re sweep and find a class ring 5" to the left, and 6" deep and both "targets" were under my coil at the same time.
I'm just saying when you hear people talking about hunted out spots, no body gets them all, unless you dig ALL; and hunt in all metal mode. Discrimination makes your machine operate the opposite of what it was designed to do, detect Metal. When your machine "rejects" a nail or "foil" it takes it a little time to recover, while recovery is happening, you may have already moved your coil 3 feet, before it can detect a "clean target". This is where a smaller coil can benefit you. While you are covering less ground, you are also eliminating the chances of having 2 or 3 or even more targets under your coil at once. My Silver Eagle has the 9 1/2" coil on it and numerous times I have had difficulty pinpointing pocket spills that were spread out a foot or more, and a lot of times I may have even not dug them, assuming perhaps, a park mower ran over a beer can shredding it. How often times have you dug a dime signal, only to find can slaw?
I not preaching, I am just trying to encourage newbys, as well as re kindle the flames of those experienced MD'ers, that sometimes over analyze, or are too quick to dismiss some signals.
Thanks for listening,
DannO

Danno - Very well spoken. After 10 years or so I came back to digging most signals and now for about 20 years I have been digging many more goodies. steve in so az

Trash gets me bummed out sometimes. I almost hate digging anything that reads under 30 on my safari. Today my wife and I were out at a park, she was walking next to me, and I kept getting 18's, 17's, 19's, etc.. and I was like.. "I'm not digging it"... She was like, "it could of been a ring...".

I guess I am just going to start digging those possible ring tones / numbers as well. At least I will be doing the park a favor by cleaning up the trash as I take all the pull tabs and bottle caps from the ground and put it where it belongs.

itfchoas - Have you ever experimented with a gold ring stuck into something like Pla Do on the floor? Swing your coil back & forth over the ring and see what readings you get. You may find that the different angles you move the ring give different read outs. Steve in so az

Yep!! Been there still there... I'm also trying to improve slowly, Just yesterday I dug my 3rd nickle in 2 years..:lol:

@steve
I never wraped it in pla-doh but I have practiced on some gold rings including white gold rings 10K. The white gold 10K reads at 9 & 3. That is the same reading as most package foil, like foil from candy bars or cigarrette packs. Needless to say I dug a lot of that type of foil that day.

As you mentioned, when I did play with the rings they did give off different readings based on the way they were laying.

Back
Top Bottom