When you see others detecting...

Fool

What do you do? Walk up to them and make conversation?
I live in a fairly rural area and today is the first time ive ever seen anyone detect, i wanted to stop and make conversation as they were at an old cobblestone house built in mid 1800s...
What do you typically do? How often do you run into others? This is more for ground than beach hunters obviously.

I think it depends on the vibe you get from the person, even from afar; and of course, REALLY depends if it's someone detecting on a permission you thought you had exclusively, which has happened to me. But since I don't own the land you can't be a hater, it's just part of the "game".

At the end of the day, we're all in this together, so I think it's always worthwhile to approach another md'r and introduce yourself, discuss your rigs, and perhaps build a connection.

I turn off my detector and put it over my shoulder and approach. Just make conversation with them and ask if they ever like detecting with company. DEpending on the answer depends on whether I ask if I can start "over there" or whether I leave. I have met some great detecting partners that way.

I think it depends on the vibe you get from the person, even from afar; and of course, REALLY depends if it's someone detecting on a permission you thought you had exclusively, which has happened to me. But since I don't own the land you can't be a hater, it's just part of the "game".

At the end of the day, we're all in this together, so I think it's always worthwhile to approach another md'r and introduce yourself, discuss your rigs, and perhaps build a connection.

I have only met one other person detecting at the same time as me.
we ended up striking up a conversation and discussed some of our finds and rigs.

nice younger guy and didn't feel threatened at all.. public park and nice to see someone else in the game.

Yeah, depends on the situation. I see a guy head down, gridding and hammering a square, I'm leaving the dude alone. I see someone in the park with a BH and a spade shovel, we're gonna have a litte Q&A session...:laughing:

Seriously though, body language will usually tell you. Some of us are out there with Gray Ghosts clamped on our domes blocking everyone out for a reason and some of us are really happy to talk to randoms about the hobby.

Me, depends on the day. I prefer to lone wolf it most of the time and won't usually stop hunting to go over to someone detecting but have a REALLY great time when I go out on a hunt with someone else several times a season. Plus you have to consider if a couple folks with complimenting skill sets get together on research and acquiring permissions you could really liberate some treasure together!

GL&HH! :aok:

talking to oyher detectors

Since i rarely run in to any i walk up and talk to them, but just for a short time because it cuts into their detecting time. I mention our forum to them , and if i have any good information on the area i offer to share it.

I always chat. One, I am a Southerner it's what we do. Two, I don't see a lot of other detectors so I like to say hi and meet them.

BCD

I take a look and evaluate before I make a move..are they a Noob? An old Pro? That determines my action...We will all see all sorts of Noobs out in the Spring like normal, got a rig for Christmas...doesnt hurt to strike up a conversation with a Noob...Might find a decent hunting buddy or a kindred Spirit, might want to show them how to use a screwdriver here on this nice Sportsfield instead of a pickaxe and a D handle tiling spade!....:laughing:

After an verbal interface and evaluation...The 'cool' ones that show some potential I invite to peruse Our Friendly Forum and consider joining...The other Dinks I send on over to Findmall where they will fit in better! :laughing:

Maybe 3% will stick with this Sport...might need a little inspiration from an old guy Like I got once...You want the 'good' ones to stick...you want to either not talk to or otherwise discourage or throw off chaff to the unredeemably ignorant, help them give up and quit the sooner the better!!....Its all about the character, their motives and interest level...

Like I said, not everybody out there swinging coil is cool or worth getting to know...maybe 3%...read the signs, approach cautiously from the front, be prudent...Like in anything out of doors, if it dont smell right, walk away...

Last edited:
I always turn off my detector and go chat with them. Only ONE time did it turn into a disaster.

While we were talking in the water I looked down and saw the outline of a ring in the clay. I said "What the heck?" I reached down and picked it up. it was a 14K 1901 class ring. BOY did I open a bag of worms. I really ticked him off. Maybe he would have put his coil over it and maybe not. But I found it so I kept it.

Happened to me today. I shut off detector, waited for them to find target and introuuced myself. Wonderful people in this hobby. Not infringing on their “line” just saying hello.

I have had no negative reactions......YET.

Thanks for the responses, im a new guy so i like to hear what you experienced(old :lol:) people do! I dont like intruding on others business but feel this hobby is generally full of nice people. I was just driving by dropping my kids off to school so wasnt going to just pull over and start a conversation, but it actually did cross my mind!!! I am new to this and know that i could learn faster being around experienced users.

There is a local club but they want money and hold meetings on Saturday mornings...ya im not doing that just yet.

Normally I hunt with my wife in some remote areas so we never see another detectorist. If we/I'm in a park setting and another person is also hunting, I, like most of you will wait to see if it would be ok to approach or not. I have not ever had an issue talking to someone. Yep, just depends on the day.;)

Usually talk with them to see how they are doing. Most people will talk, some don't talk. One guy didn't know what coil was on their detector, it was the standard coil on the AT PRO and they said it was the 5x8 coil. So with that person not wanting to be annoyed I didn't tell them that running the coil at a 45 degree angle they wouldn't find much.

Bad Example

Hi,
I only ever ran into other detectors one time at an area some distance from me. This was a sand beach at a fresh water swimming area. All three were also from some distance from this spot. I did talk a bit to the one that was closest to me. He was friendly but after noticing all the large holes and not being covered up, I decided to go elsewhere. People walk a lot in this spot and leaving large holes in the sand uncovered is not a good idea, I would think it's a good way to get metal detecting stopped at the spot. I left promptly and have never returned. I am sure this spot gets hammered anyway. I guess some people just are not considerate of others ?? Certainly a bad example for all of us.
Bubbaron Nox 600, AR Pro, ATT Carrot Pin Pointer, Garrett 8" x 6" Coil

I guess it comes from when I was the President of a local detecting club but I usually stop and talk to everyone I see detecting. Lately it seems as though it's more to the ones who just received a detector fro Christmas or have been watching those television shows and think that they are going to get rich. I tried to explain to one couple who had a large shovel and were throwing the dirt everywhere that the needed something smaller and that they needed to refill their holes or it could cause the parks to be closed for everyone. They said that they had just got the detector and would be more careful in the future. A few days later I saw that they had been back and everything that I had said went right in one ear and out the other. I spent several hours trying to find enough dirt to fill their holes.

I guess it comes from when I was the President of a local detecting club but I usually stop and talk to everyone I see detecting. Lately it seems as though it's more to the ones who just received a detector fro Christmas or have been watching those television shows and think that they are going to get rich. I tried to explain to one couple who had a large shovel and were throwing the dirt everywhere that the needed something smaller and that they needed to refill their holes or it could cause the parks to be closed for everyone. They said that they had just got the detector and would be more careful in the future. A few days later I saw that they had been back and everything that I had said went right in one ear and out the other. I spent several hours trying to find enough dirt to fill their holes.

There it is..the brutal truth to the matter...some folks have no common sense no matter what...so..It aint our fault or our duty to rectify behaviors in field...take a look, observe, decide who to share your "Pearls of Wisdom" with......People are damn stupid and can be quite dangerous..Myself included...

There it is..the brutal truth to the matter...some folks have no common sense no matter what...so..It aint our fault or our duty to rectify behaviors in field...take a look, observe, decide who to share your "Pearls of Wisdom" with......People are damn stupid and can be quite dangerous..Myself included...

I know that talking to most of them doesn't do any good. Still I feel that I should try to repair any damage they do because it makes the rest of us look bad.

In my neck of the woods not many of us around. So i always try and say hi and see what kind of equipment they are using. Maybe they want ot do a hint together in the future you never know until you talk to them.

Also not afraid to tell them to fill there holes even in the sand.

Ray

I know that talking to most of them doesn't do any good. Still I feel that I should try to repair any damage they do because it makes the rest of us look bad.

Right? I know..its a HUGE problem every Spring!...Ignorant Noobs out tearing up our turf! A guy has to decide what to do...fill their holes or dig our own? What are we out here for?

Back
Top Bottom