• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1715 coins that were never circulated

Island Man USVI

In the early 1960s, the Virgin Islands government began dredging sand out of Gregerie channel to fill a swampy area of Crown Bay, St Thomas. Gregerie Channel was traditionally used as a staging (parking) area for boats waiting to have their cargo offloaded in the Charlotte Amalie harbor. In addition to many other artifacts, large amounts of small copper coins were found in the dredged sand. The coin books at that time made it clear that these were Danish West Indian coins. However, we never found an example of these exact coins in any publications. After sending samples to the Danish government and waiting more than a year we finally got a response. In 1715 the Danish government minted the first coins for the Virgin Islands. The boat delivering the coins sank in Gregerie channel between St Thomas and Water Island and the coins never went into circulation. All these years later I still have a small hand full of these treasures!

I was blessed to have grown up in St Thomas USVI. Started metal detecting when I was about 10 years old. I have lots of great memories of treasure hunting there. This is my favorite!

Attachments

• IMG_9408.jpg
    IMG_9408.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_9391.jpg
    IMG_9391.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_9390.jpg
    IMG_9390.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_9388.jpg
    IMG_9388.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_9386.jpg
    IMG_9386.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 406
super cool find

In the early 1960s, the Virgin Islands government began dredging sand out of Gregerie channel to fill a swampy area of Crown Bay, St Thomas. Gregerie Channel was traditionally used as a staging (parking) area for boats waiting to have their cargo offloaded in the Charlotte Amalie harbor. In addition to many other artifacts, large amounts of small copper coins were found in the dredged sand. The coin books at that time made it clear that these were Danish West Indian coins. However, we never found an example of these exact coins in any publications. After sending samples to the Danish government and waiting more than a year we finally got a response. In 1715 the Danish government minted the first coins for the Virgin Islands. The boat delivering the coins sank in Gregerie channel between St Thomas and Water Island and the coins never went into circulation. All these years later I still have a small hand full of these treasures!

I was blessed to have grown up in St Thomas USVI. Started metal detecting when I was about 10 years old. I have lots of great memories of treasure hunting there. This is my favorite!
goes under the wow finds of a life time.

Back
Top Bottom