Old Cistern?Homestead

Yooper Rich

I have an old cistern on the 40 we own. It was part of an old homestead that is no longer there. It lays in a low area where water drains. Made of rock I'm guessing it is 5x6 0r 8 and 5 or 6 feet deep. There are several old cedar logs someone took from the old cabin/sauna/chicken coop and laid across the top to keep someone from falling into it. A lot of trees have grown around it and will have to cut some down to open it a bit. I'm hoping to find some goodies in it. There was an old line that ran from it to the cabin and imagine that there was a small hand pump inside. The cabin/sauna was later made into a chicken coop. Later a farm house sat on the property along with a barn and other out buildings all long gone. I believe I have found the old privy too. All plenty to search here and looking forward to posting finds as soon as winter releases her grip and my leg heals!

Just be careful if you go digging in the old privy. Have heard of walls caving in on the digger. Either go with a partner or let someone know where you’ll be in case you don’t show up for dinner. Can’t be too careful.

Just be careful if you go digging in the old privy. Have heard of walls caving in on the digger. Either go with a partner or let someone know where you’ll be in case you don’t show up for dinner. Can’t be too careful.

Oh yes for sure. I worked for a National Water utility for about 40 years. Shored many a hole starting at 5 ft. Still was caved on twice. Not a good experience. Thanks for the advise though. Reminders are a good thing.

As a privy digger myself, best advice dig out to ALL of the natural or stone walls. It's much more stable. Hate when guys I dig with try to groundhog a pit just to save alittle work and create a hazard.

Rich, we like pictures of the place to go along with the adventure.

Good luck and stay safe whatever you do.
Pics will come but everything is still under snow and I have broken leg. Besides I have to figure out how to get pics on here too. Tried like heck the other day with my phone and lap top. Followed instructions on the forum but to no avail. Still have time so I'll figure it out?

Besides I have to figure out how to get pics on here too. Tried like heck the other day with my phone and lap top. Followed instructions on the forum but to no avail. Still have time so I'll figure it out?

Are you using Tapatalk on your phone?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Are you using Tapatalk on your phone?

LOL don't think so. I don't even know what tapatalk is. I'll ask my wife she may know. I know pics have to be down size but not getting cooperation when I try.

Tapatalk is just an app that you can use to access these forums . Makes it real easy to download pics directly from your phone to the forum.

Tapatalk is just an app that you can use to access these forums . Makes it real easy to download pics directly from your phone to the forum.

Just looked it up on play store. Looks like there are several. Which one do you have?

The free one, Tapatalk pro costs money !! Haha !!
My playstore only shows two.

course I shouldn't talk, I posted a couple pics in the for sale and they never worked so I gotta figure out what happened !!

Back
Top Bottom