• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Remember iPhones has GPS tracking turn them in to the lifeguard or hotel!!!!

Bud-sc

This will save you a headache later. This is what my buddy wrote our head person at the club meetings want to get the word out. I think he was lucky it wasn't the police. And yes if you take a iPhone home with you you can be charged misdemeanor theft. I asked the local cops and county.

Went out and did a midnight hunt the other day. We dug two cell phones up in surf 2-3ft. Deep. Mine I hit the button & screen lit up saying phone locate on passcode locked call number below. We don’t normally hunt with our phones & did not have them that night. I asked a guy nearby fishing if he had one I could use, he handed me his phone & I called the number. I got a recording so left message I found your phone please come out and get it. I also said if I don’t meet up with you out here I will contact you in morning & get this back to you. We stayed there about another hour & left. I tried to turn phone on again when I got back to van & my phone. The phone shorted out & screen went out, nothing. I tried charging when I got home nothing. Went to sleep. Banging on door at 9am yelling man where’s my phone? Give me my phone! !!!!!!!. I asked if he got my message at midnight he said yes. Never thanking me nothing! Grabbed phone left. He located me by GPS even though I couldn’t get phone to work. He banged on my neighbors door also. Bud met the other guy who was driving a $60,000. Truck never offered him one dam dollar either.
No more phones for me! F##k em they will be turned over to life guard, police or at night thrown up to lay in the dry sand or chair box. Not worth the trouble. Wanted to pass this on. Had no idea they could come to your home even if broke?

Most phones have a tracking app in them nowadays... as long as the battery has any sort of life in it it can be tracked. ;)

The 1s I find if they aren't working I just directly do the 3pt shot into the garbage bin. Not worth the hassle.

I don't worry about it. As soon as you find a phone pull the battery out if you are scared. Found one guys phone, wallet and keys. Got the message on the phone to please return it. While searching the wallet for ID i found an unused love glove in it. Told the guy i would drop it off at his house. Guy frantically said no as apparently him and his wife didn't use protection:shock: He pulled in the driveway and handed me a fifty and hauled butt:lol:

Last couple of phones I returned I got rewards for and the owners were super stoked and appreciative...I think It just the luck of the draw.. :shrug:

You have a good point about the phones but I have to say that its more rare someone would act like than to be grateful for the find. In ancy case, I guess its best to use caution no matter the case.

I'll take an iPhone home anytime. And they better not be banging on my door if I called and I'm trying to return it.

Charged with theft? LOL don't make me laugh. They might TRY to charge you with something but would it stick? Hardly.

I have got 6 citations metal detecting while diving. ALL DISMISSED.

Bored cops with nothing better to do

Last couple of phones I returned I got rewards for and the owners were super stoked and appreciative...I think It just the luck of the draw.. :shrug:

... but I have to say that its more rare someone would act like than to be grateful for the find.....

I agree. Ingrate stories like this (someone demanding their stuff, without so-much-as a thankyou) is rare. Most of the time, the re-union repatriation stories are fun, fulfilling, heart-warming, etc... And yes: sometimes tips and rewards.

I would not let the occasional ingrate stories stop us all from helping folks out.

Charged with theft? LOL don't make me laugh. They might TRY to charge you with something but would it stick? Hardly....

*Technically*, there is Lost & Found laws in all 50 states. That say that if you've found something over a certain value threshold ($100, for example) that you must turn it in to the police.

Those laws do not make provision for you to try your own repatriation attempts (technically). Nor do they say how the item is to be valued (eg.: value when new ? intrinsic melt value ? used value ? etc...). These laws were born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800s.

Thus ... yes, technically you could be charged with theft. But realistically ? Hardly ever would something like that be pressed. It would probably be a case of someone trying to hawk at a Pawn shop, or whatever.

Too many a**holes in this world. I found an expensive woman's Italian wallet with credit cards, d license, travel receipts and $400 cash. Mailed it all back and barely got a thank you. Keeping it would of of been no different than stealing since I knew who's it was. If I'd of known how unappreciative she would be then I'd of took the I.D.s out and donated it to a charity. I need to hear more stories of grateful people before I get too cynical.

If you are worried about it being tracked pull the sim card and battery.
I just pull the sim card and the memory card when i get home, phones and sim cards usually go right in the trash unless it is not badly damaged. If they are not totally toasted I resell to a local guy who can unlock locked iphones and resell them.

.... I need to hear more stories of grateful people before I get too cynical.

Muddy-Mo, there's scores of grateful reunion stories within our ranks. That get profiled on show & tell here all-the-time. They out-number and out-weigh the ingrate stories.

I think the reason we tend to more-easily-remember the "ingrate" ones (and are tempted to let them steer us in the future), is the old psychology of "bad news travels faster than good news". We read the fun stories (rewards, hugs, tears, etc...) and don't register them that deeply. Like scuba-detectors frequent tales, etc.... HOWEVER, when we hear the occasional ingrate stories, those will be the ones we remember.

Like shark attack stories: No one remembers how often people swim in the ocean without incident. We only remember the attack stories. Doh !

Here's A Few Feel Good Phone Returns . but yeah i have had it all happen including a 3 am hunt where i found a phone in the water and had a guy show up at my door at 6am like you stole my phone :laughing: But for every A-Hole There's someone Appreciative too

Here's A Few Feel Good Phone Returns ....

I remember that video. You always make great ones ! Can't put a price on human-relations mystery-solved stories like that. And ... hug from a cute-gal no less ! :D Thanx for sharing, to balance out the ingrate ones ! :)

Muddy Mo I have been privileged to do a few returns of jewelry items to those who lost them. I have received a half hearted "thanks" as she turned and walked away to some with tears in their eyes as they thanked me. Some even go overboard in giving a reward. It all depends on the individual.

If I remember correct Denny in VB had the police show up at his house in search of a I Phone. Denny walked the police out to his truck, opened the back and said..take your pick..he had several he had found...:lol:

If I remember correct Denny in VB had the police show up at his house in search of a I Phone. Denny walked the police out to his truck, opened the back and said..take your pick..he had several he had found...:lol:

One thing us md'rs need to keep in mind (although it doesn't justify the "ingrate" stories) is this:

Often time, when someone looses something (like their phone on the beach), they don't realize it's gone till later. They are not aware of when/how it went missing. And therefore, it's quite possible, the initially think "stolen" (someone came by and swiped it off their beach blanket, perhaps, etc...).

OR EVEN IF THEY ARE AWARE THAT IT PROBABLY DROPPED ON THE SAND (and hence, they should think "lost", not "stolen"), yet ... in their mind's eyes, the next person who walks along, eyeballs it, and "keeps it", has therefore "stolen" it.

And if they make a police report (for purposes of insurance, for instance), the box to check might be "lost/stolen" (as if there's no difference !!). You see how there's a murky line between "lost" and "stolen", and the exact status of the individual involved, to even know which scenario it is ??

I know if I find a cell phone in the sand my first inclination is to grab it up and show my wife “look what ifound”. After reading the above I just think it’s easier to give it to the lifeguard on duty. I think if a person loses a cell phone at the beach the first place they would ask is the lifeguard to see if someone turned it in.

what a jerk that guy was i woulda had a few choice words for him if he came banging on my door at my house :D good job by helping the guy out though what a D$%K :shock:

Back
Top Bottom