Need permission for curb strips?

KB Digger

Hi -- I have been hitting some curb strips in my town, but feel nervous that the house next to the strip will come out and yell not to. What is the feeling here on getting permissions to do curb strips or just do it?:?:

Myself... I just do it. I tend to stick to the side of the house curbs and those that are not as well maintained as others. If they come out and say something, I am polite, yet let them know it is public property and that I can MD here. I also say that I am happy to move along if they prefer that I not do so.

I love it when they come out and say, "Can I help you?" I reply, "Sure. Do you have a shovel."

We got confronted last week by a guy with a nasty look about him and nasty attitude. Our response is always, we're fine here but obviously you're uncomfortable with it so we will move on, enjoy your day.
What upsets me is even though we're going to leave they won't shut up about it, then it's a challenge for me to hold my tongue.

"Can I help you?" I reply, "Sure. Do you have a shovel."
Love it, I'll have to use that next time. I still haven't tried curbstripping but going too soon. HH Mark

Make sure that you know the ordinances in the town you are hunting. Most towns consider curb strips "public property", but some do not and may have specific prohibitions against metal detecting the strips (i.e., I was in one town, and the strips were owned by Parks & Rec, which specifically cited no metal detecting in Parks & Rec property).

That said, I do not ask permission where the strips are fair game. I know that that may mean some potential for lost permissions, but my success rate with permissions is, unfortunately, extremely low so it's not much of a loss for me. :laughing:

Hi -- I have been hitting some curb strips in my town, but feel nervous that the house next to the strip will come out and yell not to. What is the feeling here on getting permissions to do curb strips or just do it?:?:

It depends on your city/town. Some places have different laws. When I was hitting curbstrips if it looked manicured by the homeowner I attempted to get permission. uUsually it's just a public right of way and not public property.

Your tolerance for risk sets your limits. I once got smacked upside the head with a newspaper by a crazy old man for detecting his strips even though I confirmed with the city he couldn't keep me from that strip between sidewalk and street.

Do you have concerns when digging curbstrips about any utility lines (cable, electric, gas) or are those all buried deeper than any plug you might dig?

Those are "supposed" to at a minimum depth of 18".

Seabee-Ron, as a former utility worker yourself : You are aware of those signs (ie.: billboards, posters, etc...) that say "Call before you dig" , Right ? And they have a 3 digit # you can call, to make sure that the location you are going to dig at, is free of utilities. Right ?

Ok, do you call that # every time you go out detecting, to make sure there's no buried utilities there ? If not ........ shame on you :laughing:

Seabee-Ron, as a former utility worker yourself : You are aware of those signs (ie.: billboards, posters, etc...) that say "Call before you dig" , Right ? And they have a 3 digit # you can call, to make sure that the location you are going to dig at, is free of utilities. Right ?

Ok, do you call that # every time you go out detecting, to make sure there's no buried utilities there ? If not ........ shame on you :laughing:

Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, pounding my chest! :p

Back
Top Bottom