Using my Golden uMax

imalookin2

"In Memory Of"
Forum Supporter
The Tesoro owners manual for my machine is real basic and there are not a lot of users posting on this machine so I wanted to add something to help. I have had it about a month now on the dry beach and dirt. I did not understand the notch function well since I am a newbie. My machine has the new 4 tone setup change for serial numbers over 190900. The change made the tones more separate so the ear could hear them easier. I dug everything for a while so I could understand the tones. I then figured out how to get out most of the trash in my hunting life.

The notch function on this machine is what makes it. You must properly set this up before swinging and understand what it does. This is my personal setup and would love to hear opinions on users of the same machine.

Many people looking for jewelery dig everything. They know gold rings and such are around or below pull tab range so they dig. Most of the time it is a pull tab or other trash. Can't miss that gold ring right?

My uMax setup:
1. set the disc knob to zero.
2. set up the "sensitivity" and "threshold" as normal.
3. switch the all metal toggle switch to "disc." Remember your disc level dial should be zero so it is all metal even at this point.
4. switch the "notch width" to either narrow or wide.
5. (important) air test a nickel to get the best solid tone on the "notch width" dial. My setting is usually about 2 o'clock. After setting that do not move it. Proper setup with the nickel allows the notch feature to work properly and you will hear all 4 tones or you will only get three. The same is true with older models too.

You are now ready to rock. Set the disc dial to pull tabs so most are blocked! Doing this also blocks gold rings and other goodies below the tabs range. That is where a properly tuned notch filter comes in. Set the notch to wide and you should not miss any gold. You will also cut down on a lot of trash. Keep in mind I am looking for jewelery and not relics.

This is just my 2 cents. I would love to hear from other Golden users!!

Thanks for the info!
I have been interested in trying out the Golden umax. It sounds like an improved version of the Golden Sabre II - More depth and 2 more tones. I enjoy my GS II a lot but wish it had a little more depth.

notch function

Just got my Golden Umax and will try your program, will the nickel still sound off? I am assuming it will not since your are getting rid of pull tabs.

Sounds nice! So for example the last gold ring i dug came up a perfect 20 on my DFX.Nickels and those broke off pulltabs also come in a perfect 20.So if you notch it out,it will still see the ring in the 20 range,but not the others?

Good post, the only thing that I disagree with is - #3 (switch the all metal toggle switch to "disc." Remember your disc level dial should be zero so it is all metal even at this point). In disc. mode even with disc level set at zero there is still some discrimination, it is not all metal.

Sounds nice! So for example the last gold ring i dug came up a perfect 20 on my DFX.Nickels and those broke off pulltabs also come in a perfect 20.So if you notch it out,it will still see the ring in the 20 range,but not the others?
I rather have a single tone non metered beep & dig detector because I like hunting for jewelry and jewelry can come in about anywhere. No matter how good a person is at notching or reading a meter you will miss good targets if you rely on anything but your ears.

The Tesoro owners manual for my machine is real basic and there are not a lot of users posting on this machine so I wanted to add something to help. I have had it about a month now on the dry beach and dirt. I did not understand the notch function well since I am a newbie. My machine has the new 4 tone setup change for serial numbers over 190900. The change made the tones more separate so the ear could hear them easier. I dug everything for a while so I could understand the tones. I then figured out how to get out most of the trash in my hunting life.

The notch function on this machine is what makes it. You must properly set this up before swinging and understand what it does. This is my personal setup and would love to hear opinions on users of the same machine.

Many people looking for jewelery dig everything. They know gold rings and such are around or below pull tab range so they dig. Most of the time it is a pull tab or other trash. Can't miss that gold ring right?

My uMax setup:
1. set the disc knob to zero.
2. set up the "sensitivity" and "threshold" as normal.
3. switch the all metal toggle switch to "disc." Remember your disc level dial should be zero so it is all metal even at this point.
4. switch the "notch width" to either narrow or wide.
5. (important) air test a nickel to get the best solid tone on the "notch width" dial. My setting is usually about 2 o'clock. After setting that do not move it. Proper setup with the nickel allows the notch feature to work properly and you will hear all 4 tones or you will only get three. The same is true with older models too.

You are now ready to rock. Set the disc dial to pull tabs so most are blocked! Doing this also blocks gold rings and other goodies below the tabs range. That is where a properly tuned notch filter comes in. Set the notch to wide and you should not miss any gold. You will also cut down on a lot of trash. Keep in mind I am looking for jewelery and not relics.

This is just my 2 cents. I would love to hear from other Golden users!!

So what are u notching out with this set up?
THANKS
MIKE

Back
Top Bottom