• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help with Explorer SE Pro & coil

RetiredSoldier9

I'd appreciate some help on getting a 10" SEF coil installed on my SE Pro. The problem is with the "pig tail" end of the coil cable. The winding seems too large to fit in the upper shaft. I can barely get the upper & lower shafts connected. There is more wiggle and length than I am comfortable with. The coil is listed as compatable with the SE Pro, so it should fit. I've considered lubing the "pig tail" to allow it to slide freely in the upper shaft. But I'm afaid of damaging the cable. Any suggestions?
Thanks. HH.

Most FBS machine users carry a piece of string/cord with a nut tied on, just for this purpose. Drop the nut through the shaft and fish the coil cable through.

Yep like long said tie that thing up and pull it through its a tight fit but thats what you have to do.

The string method works great, if you have to, I lubricated the cable and its like butter to slide up the tube.

I havea Sunray now so it's a piece of cake changing coils.

I used a string to fish the cable through. That's not a problem. The problem is getting the lower shaft to slide into the upper shaft. I can get it in about an inch then it is stopped by the seemingly too wide "pig tail". I got it all together, but it feels wobbley and too long. Any suggestions on a safe lube that won't damage the coil cable.
Thanks again. HH.

You might have to essencially "wind" the coiled part of the cable a little tighter. Just one or two turns should make sufficient difference in the diameter of the coiled section to allow assembly w/o stressing anything.

A red shoelace has been a regular part of my detector gear for the past 12 years. Some cables are so stubborn you absolutely have to feed them through.

You might have to essencially "wind" the coiled part of the cable a little tighter. Just one or two turns should make sufficient difference in the diameter of the coiled section to allow assembly w/o stressing anything.

I'll give that a try. Along with some vegetable oil to help easy it through.

You won't need any oil, just need the leverage. Once the end is pulled through the rest will follow pretty easy.

I mention the oil because once the cable is pulled through the two shafts, the coiled section of the cable expands inside the shaft. This creates a blockage that makes adjusting the shaft length impossible. The rubber-like coating of cable prevents movement of the cable. I figured the oil would allow the cable to move freely in the shaft. And being vegetable oil, maybe it would not be damaging to the cable. So I can get it assembled, I just can't push the lower shaft further into the upper shaft.

Update:
I used cooking spray on a paper towel. Applied it to the coiled section of the cable and it slid in nice and smooth, with not binding. I guess I'll find out if the oil has any long term effect after some time of usage. I'll post if I find any problems with the oil and rubber coating.

Back
Top Bottom