eBay always makes me sick

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I get to looking at old coins on eBay,and to find one is priceless but to buy one ,well,they're pretty cheap in my opinion..Bust half dollars from $40? The bust quarters and dimes are actually more pricey,don't make sense to me.
I want priceless artifacts ,relics and gold jewelry.Looks like I'm gonna hafto make our local park look like Swiss cheese if I want gold,gonna need to dig everything that beeps.
And I'm gonna need a Deus to get those priceless relics and artifacts,cause I got lots of areas ,fields to cover.
I'll take silver,I understand it's most people's goals.Usto be mine too,but I'm slowly getting out of targeting silver.Just not worth it,clad is worth more and plentiful.Dont have a game plan yet,but I'm gonna map this thing out,over the winter and hit spring running..

I get to looking at old coins on eBay,and to find one is priceless but to buy one ,well,they're pretty cheap in my opinion..Bust half dollars from $40? The bust quarters and dimes are actually more pricey,don't make sense to me.
I want priceless artifacts ,relics and gold jewelry.Looks like I'm gonna hafto make our local park look like Swiss cheese if I want gold,gonna need to dig everything that beeps.
And I'm gonna need a Deus to get those priceless relics and artifacts,cause I got lots of areas ,fields to cover.
I'll take silver,I understand it's most people's goals.Usto be mine too,but I'm slowly getting out of targeting silver.Just not worth it,clad is worth more and plentiful.Dont have a game plan yet,but I'm gonna map this thing out,over the winter and hit spring running..
Bust halves are cheaper because of greater mintage numbers. Bust quarters and dimes were struck in much less quantity, therefore, their rarity commands a higher price.

Anyways, good luck on your collecting goals.

Sounds like cabin fever setting in already, none the less a good plan. Did you see Remmy sent Callabash some E, Pa. dirt / Do you think we ought to sent him some W. Pa. dirt ? Huh ? Good luck and HHMark

Ebay has all those fees and whatnot..Buy coins from guys here or at a local Coin Show, for cash....

Theres a lot of sub set genres to specialize and master within this Sport....In the right areas, Clad/Bycatch is a viable and very effective strategy. Although, fresh droppage of clad is slowing WAY down....Almost to the point of becoming Bycatch/Clad hunting...But hey, You never know what you can find in a dumpster, so theres that too!:laughing:

Try to take Ebay's prices with a dose of salt. Ask yourself if that's the asking price, or the selling price. I'd be willing to bet that many of those listings with high asking prices don't sell.

Roger

Try to take Ebay's prices with a dose of salt. Ask yourself if that's the asking price, or the selling price. I'd be willing to bet that many of those listings with high asking prices don't sell.

Roger

Right. My Ebay research method is to switch the search settings to "sold" and then sort by either "Price + Shipping: Highest First" or "Price + Shipping: Lowest First" depending on my interests.

Now this is just me so I'm not bashing anyone on Ebay. I hesitated to buy any coins from ebay just for the fact I like to see exactly what I'm getting. I have heard stories of people buying and not getting what they pay for. Like I said, this is just me.

Now this is just me so I'm not bashing anyone on Ebay. I hesitated to buy any coins from ebay just for the fact I like to see exactly what I'm getting. I have heard stories of people buying and not getting what they pay for. Like I said, this is just me.

For some previously owned things on Ebay I will only buy them if it appears to be a regular person with a reasonable number of past transactions and they've included actual photographs and a good description. Basically, I ask myself if the listing/seller look similar to how it would look if I were selling it. If not, I ignore it. That really narrows down the watch list!

Right. My Ebay research method is to switch the search settings to "sold" and then sort by either "Price + Shipping: Highest First" or "Price + Shipping: Lowest First" depending on my interests.

This is definitely the way to do it. thumbs up to you!

Listed for and sold for are usually worlds apart on ebay

Coins on e-bay

I buy Philippines coins on E-Bay mainly under USA rule silver coins, and I can say I have gotten some pretty good deals , some average deals and a few really great bargins . You have to know what the coins you want are worth before bidding on them and figure shipping in the total. Some people put rediculous values on their coins hoping some sucker will come along, or jack up the shipping cost. Some times you can get a better deal at big coin shows and no shipping charges included. We have 2 large coin shows in our area a year with over a 100 dealers from around the country and they will often make you a good deal if you buy several coins.

Attachments

• peso.jpg
    peso.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 202
That's what I look for

For some previously owned things on Ebay I will only buy them if it appears to be a regular person with a reasonable number of past transactions and they've included actual photographs and a good description. Basically, I ask myself if the listing/seller look similar to how it would look if I were selling it. If not, I ignore it. That really narrows down the watch list!

Just to save shoe leather I will buy a coin on Ebay as a filler. The other day
I bought 2 30s pennies I needed. Three bucks shipped for a couple readables,I can improve on later. The pros who auction using shills stand out like a sidewalk dog pile.

I have a table at the next local coin and card show in Feb. My main interest is selling a couple boxes of SPs I bought in the early 90s. They are selling on
ebay for $2000+ right now. Everyone looking for the 10 graded Jeter rookie.

I will have a lot of individual coins and coin sets to part with. Foreign silvers sell well as do novelty coins.

Anyone that’s lost over $100+ to a seller with good feedback, raise their hand...me!

Way back when before paypal came about, you were stuck with the ebay moderation process, which was a total joke. You were lucky to get back 10% of your purchase but usually gave up in frustration during the process.

I hear you Wood,it all depends on WHY a person does this. Even though I’ve done well finding silver,I’m nowhere near “ahead” and even if I sold everything I have for maximum,I’d be nowhere near ahead. I do it for the challenge of being able to,it’s a total ego thing. If I wanted to MAKE money,I sure as hell wouldn’t be hunting silver! But it’s the one thing you CAN hunt without that “Swiss cheese” thing happening you mentioned...:grin:

Onlt got burned once on eBay back in 2005 or so when I didn't yet use PayPal but used money orders instead. Seller had 1000s of positive feedback. I bought my items and then the seller just dropped off the face of the Earth. Was only $50 or so which isn't a lot but it did hurt since I was working part time as a high school student while trying to start my coin collection :). PayPal now makes things easier.

Back
Top Bottom