Worth Renting on a Beach Vacation?

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I'm currently on a short vacation down on the Florida Gulf Coast, but I left my own detector at home because I wasn't interested in bringing it aboard the airliner. I saw that one of the local bike/beach supply rental outlets has metal detectors available to rent, and I was wondering whether anyone else on the site has done this - if so, how was your experience/was it worth it? I'm guessing the quality of dectector will be fairly low, but it might still be a fun way to pass some time once the kids go to bed :grin:

No info yet on what type detector they might have or cost - they were closed when I went there today despite advertising "open every day" - but I'll find out more tomorrow (assuming they open!)

Thanks for any thoughts!

I'm currently on a short vacation down on the Florida Gulf Coast, but I left my own detector at home because I wasn't interested in bringing it aboard the airliner. I saw that one of the local bike/beach supply rental outlets has metal detectors available to rent, and I was wondering whether anyone else on the site has done this - if so, how was your experience/was it worth it? I'm guessing the quality of dectector will be fairly low, but it might still be a fun way to pass some time once the kids go to bed :grin:

No info yet on what type detector they might have or cost - they were closed when I went there today despite advertising "open every day" - but I'll find out more tomorrow (assuming they open!)

Thanks for any thoughts!

I guess you need to find out the cost, the detector's capabilities and how much time you have to put into it. One gold ring can pay for a lot of stuff if you can find the right one.

If you are going in the water you need a scoop and a shortie wet suit probably. Do you have the time to play?

If you plan on being in the water a long time it might be handy. I was there in February one year and I was in the water for 18 hours a day. I would have froze without a shortie. No idea what it is like now. Never tried Florida in May.

I don't know what the Gulf Coast temps are but I did not wear a wet suit this winter down here.

Naaaa.gulf is almost 80 and hot no need for a suit. Id be very surprised if they rent a multi freq machine. If u are near Tampa contact FlPhil one of the sponsors here.

I guess you need to find out the cost, the detector's capabilities and how much time you have to put into it. One gold ring can pay for a lot of stuff if you can find the right one.

My thoughts exactly SD - it'll really boil down to cost and overall detector capability. At the same time, I should clarify that "worth it" to me will really boil down to fun factor - it wouldn't be worth it if the choice of dectector is a beat up relic that won't detect a '57 Chevy buried 2" down, or a cheapy model that leads to more frustration than finds.

If you are going in the water you need a scoop and a shortie wet suit probably. Do you have the time to play?

Nah, I doubt I'll go in the water - I'll only have a couple hours to detect, so convenience and fun are the main objectives. For info's sake though, the water is quite warm on the Gulf side right now - the wet suit probably wouldn't be necessary. I was in up to my neck with my daughter for almost 2 hours today - it was like bath water! :grin:

Naaaa.gulf is almost 80 and hot no need for a suit. Id be very surprised if they rent a multi freq machine. If u are near Tampa contact FlPhil one of the sponsors here.

Yeah, I expect it'll be a no frills model that they have available, but we'll see. I very much appreciate the idea to contact FLPhil - if I had thought of it earlier, maybe I'd have the time to do that. Unfortunately, time is playing a significant role - with only a couple spare hours to detect, I need the convenience of the nearby rental (it's literally right behind the place where we're staying).

I'll see what type equipment it is and what they charge tomorrow, and post more tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

don't bother with a water machine....the water will probably be too rough most of the week!

It has been rougher than we thought it would be - this is our first trip to the Gulf Coast, and it seems like the wave action wasn't much different than the Atlantic side!

You're not too far from where we are - we're staying in Holmes Beach. We've really enjoyed our stay so far!

I would go for it the real treasure is the hunt you will probably regret it if you dont

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I'm currently on a short vacation down on the Florida Gulf Coast, but I left my own detector at home because I wasn't interested in bringing it aboard the airliner. ..,.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hobby Lobby is just around the corner from you. You could use that coupon to buy one for like $60. Throw it in the luggage on the way home... :yes:

Attachments

• hobby lobby.jpg
    hobby lobby.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 174
...I left my own detector at home ...

Go to Hobby Lobby's site, search metal detectors....then click on the coupon link at the top of the page for 40% off one item. You'll get the detector for $60 plus tax.

Targets are lost at random, in all locations. I was in SMI 2-years ago and found pockets of clad on the beach. In the water I found a sole quarter and trash. A lot could have happened in that time, but just saying... =)

Attachments

• coupon.jpg
    coupon.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 180
It has been rougher than we thought it would be - this is our first trip to the Gulf Coast, and it seems like the wave action wasn't much different than the Atlantic side!

You're not too far from where we are - we're staying in Holmes Beach. We've really enjoyed our stay so far!

This is unusually rough for us! You are on my beach! lol I live 5 miles from there. Our club meeting is Thursday night if you want to visit...PM me if you are interested. Would offer to lend you a machine but...one just died, one is boxed up to sell.

Well, I decided to pass on the dectector rental. The price wasn't too bad - $15/day, which I thought was good for my case since I planned to have it less than 24 hrs. The detector was a Winbest Sharp, which I had never heard of, with no headset. I figured with the wind and pounding surf, I might have trouble hearing signals without some sort of headset. Plus the only digging tools I had was my 3 year old's sand shovel! No sand scoops or other digging tools available with the unit. Anyway, I started to seriously doubt the fun factor, so I somewhat reluctantly decided to just plan ahead a little better for my next trip, instead :grin:

Anna Maria Island, huh?
I have vacationed there, beautiful location but that was before I got into the hobby.
Seems to be a popular place for hunters but good finds still pop up.
Even a basic detector should still hunt in the dry sand pretty well, who knows...you could get lucky.

Some tips on locations from others that know the place...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/50413-anna-maria-island-florida.html

Yeah, AMI - we've had a lot of fun the last couple days. We'll definitely come back! Thanks for the link to those tips, Digger...they'll definitely come in handy next time we visit.

Go to Hobby Lobby's site, search metal detectors....then click on the coupon link at the top of the page for 40% off one item. You'll get the detector for $60 plus tax.

Targets are lost at random, in all locations. I was in SMI 2-years ago and found pockets of clad on the beach. In the water I found a sole quarter and trash. A lot could have happened in that time, but just saying... =)

A really good option, DaviDs! Thanks for the suggestion - I'll definitely keep this idea in mind and use it for the next beach vacation when I have some more time available to detect! For a week long trip, that would be a more cost effective option.

This is unusually rough for us! You are on my beach! lol I live 5 miles from there. Our club meeting is Thursday night if you want to visit...PM me if you are interested. Would offer to lend you a machine but...one just died, one is boxed up to sell.

You have a nice beach! :grin: Water is a great turquoise/green mix - just beautiful. My oldest daughter is obsessed with hunting the seashells - she's found some neat ones!

I truly appreciate the invite to the meeting - I would have loved to stop by! Unfortunately, we head back to Ohio tomorrow afternoon. I promise to check in with you and take you up on that offer on our next trip, though!

Back
Top Bottom