My maiden water voyage

Dflan83

Elite Member
Yesterday was my first time metal detecting in the water! I packed up my CTX, checked all the connections and added the small coil and then headed for a local swimming hole on the river. Being a land hunter, getting in the water was a welcome change but I definitely have more to learn about trying to hunt in the water and recovery. Some quick notes on my hunt.

1. At first I faced the current of the river and walked upstream, fighting it all the way. I eventually went downstream with the current till I found a targent then turned 180 degrees to allow the current to help push things into the scoop.

2. Most of the river bed was all rocks and VERY tough to get through. I had my aluminum scoop with me and anxiously awaiting my stealth 720 steel scoop. I found an embankment where smaller rock and mud seems to pile up which made digging there easier. Should I focus where the small rocks pile up for jewelery?

3. HOT - even though I was in the water I didnt bring sunscreen and had to leave to head to a gas station for some gatoraide and a snack. I should come better prepared next time

4. FUN - This was the most fun I've had in a long time. Being in the water is so peaceful and if nothing else makes you appreciate the nature all around you.

5. My targets - judging from my finds, this place seems to have been used as a swimming hole for quite a long time. To my surprise the majority of the pull tabs that I recovered were beavertails and the can tops seem older themselves. I found part of a phone and an interesting button as well.
Question Am I digging the right targets for jewelry? Should I only focus on pull tab signals?

6. CTX observations - I was nervous when I inspected the CTX USB port because I noticed there is not an O ring in place. Since my machine is still under warranty I went with it and there were no leaks in the machine. Do I need to get a O ring for the usb port? The machine was very stable and I used the stock beach mode along with the 6 in coil (could not imagine trying to swing the stock coil due to the drag it would create). I had to turn my sensitivity down from auto +3 to simply auto due to the sheer depth I was getting with the machine.

7. Target Recovery - ok I am a noob here. How do you secure your machine while you are using your scoop to recover a target? Is there an easy attachment you can get for yourself and your machine and hook it on when not in use?

Overall I'm very satisfied with water hunting and cannot wait to get back in there to do some more. Please let me know any tips or things you can think of. GL HH

Attachments

• IMG_20170520_084542.jpg
    IMG_20170520_084542.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20170520_084549.jpg
    IMG_20170520_084549.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_20170520_084603.jpg
    IMG_20170520_084603.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 355
I bet you were very cautious placing your CTX underwater as I was the first few times.

Some Tips I can offer as I hunt strong sea currents and waves. Yes place the scoop downstream to prevent the current from moving your target away.

When swinging in a current, I find walking backwards works very well. At least you won't need to worry about stepping on stingrays or crabs like I have.

Scan your hole after a scoop as soon as possible or your target may get moved.

Good luck, have fun and STAY SAFE. Know your limitations and enjoy the water. You will become better in time Looks like you found a lot of stuff.

Congrats on getting wet!

Hunting hard bottom like that i would forgo the scoop and just use a mask and snorkel to retrieve targets...
Welcome to the madness!

Hunting hard bottom like that i would forgo the scoop and just use a mask and snorkel to retrieve targets...
Welcome to the madness!

yea for a long time I didn't see why people took their garrett carrots in the water and now I totally see the need for it.

You did well compared to my first water hunt with the CTX yesterday, I could not get a target in the scoop to save my life. I was hunting a pond that was very silty. So I couldn't even see my coil or my scoop. Next time I'll try a spot that I can actually see what I'm doing. Keep it up! I'll be watching! Happy hunting!

Attachments

• IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 161
You did well compared to my first water hunt with the CTX yesterday, I could not get a target in the scoop to save my life. I was hunting a pond that was very silty. So I couldn't even see my coil or my scoop. Next time I'll try a spot that I can actually see what I'm doing. Keep it up! I'll be watching! Happy hunting!

Thanks cellr. I may get out monday to do some hunting if the water isn't too high from the rain. I am still trying to get use to the water hunting

Back
Top Bottom