Silver found in Attic!

EMGdetecting

Today I was looking around in my attic, and I found these Ziploc bags of silver coins from my grandfather! Apparently whenever he owned his shop, somebody paid with all silver dimes. I was super excited to have found these (mixture of silver Roosevelts and Mercury dimes) , but then I open the bag and saw that they all had weird brown colored stuff all over [emoji853]. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to clean these? So far the only thing I have tried is rub a little bit of silver cleaner on one. It worked a little bit, but I would have to work at it for a very long time to just get one cleaned. Any suggestions?
80ea42850947fb5eb982f55c4ae8d44e.jpg

84534f28d6b990faa64493f2b455776b.jpg

67c3c91a841c23097d531c5b1f78f3ef.jpg

370ffbea57c63e2f65d54693a92805e9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow what a great fined! And it was your grandfathers all the cooler. I red color looks like rust to me. I’m sure someone on this sight can help better than me. Great find.

First you need to check if theres a 1916D among the Mercs, take that one out then you can clean the rest. Youre not gonna hurt the value as they arent worth that much, only the key dates are worth any money. No one will want them with that brown film any way. My opinion.

Definitely rust stains. But my #1 recommendation ( which no one has brought up) is that before cleaning , separate your coins. Particularly the CLAD that is in the upper left corner. I see 1 , maybe 2. Probably more in the bags. Get those out !

Your welcome ,
THE KOB

Definitely rust stains. But my #1 recommendation ( which no one has brought up) is that before cleaning , separate your coins. Particularly the CLAD that is in the upper left corner. I see 1 , maybe 2. Probably more in the bags. Get those out !

Your welcome ,
THE KOB

Yes, I have separated the clad. About 1/5 of it was clad thanks [emoji4]

Today I was looking around in my attic, and I found these Ziploc bags of silver coins from my grandfather! Apparently whenever he owned his shop, somebody paid with all silver dimes. I was super excited to have found these (mixture of silver Roosevelts and Mercury dimes) , but then I open the bag and saw that they all had weird brown colored stuff all over [emoji853]. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to clean these? So far the only thing I have tried is rub a little bit of silver cleaner on one. It worked a little bit, but I would have to work at it for a very long time to just get one cleaned. Any suggestions?
80ea42850947fb5eb982f55c4ae8d44e.jpg

84534f28d6b990faa64493f2b455776b.jpg

67c3c91a841c23097d531c5b1f78f3ef.jpg

370ffbea57c63e2f65d54693a92805e9.jpg

Don't clean 1916 if you have one, it's worth $1000!! If it's Denver mint I believe!

white vinegar soak them it will not hurt your coins for 5 hrs or so
then take a soft cloth and gently wipe each coin and rinse with cold water
i have been cleaning coins 30+ yrs

If they have rust stains, try a soak in Coca Cola on a sample coin or two. I would check on them once in a while. I’m not a chemistry major, but they say that the low levels of phosphoric acid in Coca Cola can work slowly to remove iron oxide, AKA rust.

white vinegar soak them it will not hurt your coins for 5 hrs or so
then take a soft cloth and gently wipe each coin and rinse with cold water
i have been cleaning coins 30+ yrs

Ok I’ll give that a shot thank you

If they have rust stains, try a soak in Coca Cola on a sample coin or two. I would check on them once in a while. I’m not a chemistry major, but they say that the low levels of phosphoric acid in Coca Cola can work slowly to remove iron oxide, AKA rust.

Ok Ill try that

I had two coffee cans full of silver coins from my father. dimes, quarters, fity cents and dollars.

I made the huge mistake of leaving our home with my first wife when we separated and divorced. Took only my clothes. Bad move. Lot of my stuff went missing.

Back
Top Bottom