Equinox 6" coil

aj0421

Elite Member
Sorry if this has been discussed before. For some reason I am not able to use the search on my phone. When I click on search the bar pops up but when I tap on it to enter something the whole thing disappears????

I recently bought a 2nd hand 6" coil on fleabay for a really good deal, I threw a bid in last second not thinking I would win it but I did. Seller claimed only used once for testing and it looks to be true.

Well my question is I notice just briefly testing in the house ( I know not good ) that a clad dime would ring up 24/25 a inch below the coil but would go much lower say 6 inches below the coil. It that normal?

I will do some more testing tomorrow. I did find .72 cents today at a tot lot while my Son played but everything was no more than 2 inches in the mulch.

Totally normal. When a coin is that close to ANY of my coils on the Equinox, CTX or Explorer….depth and VDI are way off.

Totally normal. When a coin is that close to ANY of my coils on the Equinox, CTX or Explorer….depth and VDI are way off.

Ok thanks, it seems different than the 11" coil where the number really doesn't seem to change how far you are from the target/coin. I get a 28/29/30 VDI for a quarter on my 11" coil no matter what the depth is.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. For some reason I am not able to use the search on my phone. When I click on search the bar pops up but when I tap on it to enter something the whole thing disappears????

I recently bought a 2nd hand 6" coil on fleabay for a really good deal, I threw a bid in last second not thinking I would win it but I did. Seller claimed only used once for testing and it looks to be true.

Well my question is I notice just briefly testing in the house ( I know not good ) that a clad dime would ring up 24/25 a inch below the coil but would go much lower say 6 inches below the coil. It that normal?

I will do some more testing tomorrow. I did find .72 cents today at a tot lot while my Son played but everything was no more than 2 inches in the mulch.

"that a clad dime would ring up 24/25 a inch below the coil but would go much lower say 6 inches below the coil. It that normal?"

I don't think it is right. I simply stepped outside with my Nox and 6" coil, laid a Jefferson down on the ground, and got a Vdi of 25 right near the dime, certainly less than 2 inches, and 25 stayed the number while I swung higher to 6 inches above the ground. Maybe I'm not reading the description right. Test it outside on the ground. That is easy enough to do.

"that a clad dime would ring up 24/25 a inch below the coil but would go much lower say 6 inches below the coil. It that normal?"

I don't think it is right. I simply stepped outside with my Nox and 6" coil, laid a Jefferson down on the ground, and got a Vdi of 25 right near the dime, certainly less than 2 inches, and 25 stayed the number while I swung higher to 6 inches above the ground. Maybe I'm not reading the description right. Test it outside on the ground. That is easy enough to do.

Ok I just tested a quarter outside, at about 6 inches I get a VDI of 18. Getting closer it jumps up to 28/29/30. That was with sensitivity of 25 in park 1.

Ok I just tested a quarter outside, at about 6 inches I get a VDI of 18. Getting closer it jumps up to 28/29/30. That was with sensitivity of 25 in park 1.

That ain't right. It should be the 28/29/30 both heights. Mine hits the same numbers running factory setting of 20 sensitivity.

Running 25? Back it down to factory 20. You may be unstable. I actually ran my dime tests at 17. Is there chatter when you run 25 sens?

My I.D. numbers with the 6" coil are basically the same as the 11".

I have yet to embrace the 6" coil. Lot's of folks have so maybe I'm just missing it's utility. I can certainly see where it might be helpful in tight spots. I've used it in seriously thick iron and didn't see a major improvement over the 11". I think it falses on iron more much easier than the 11" does. By that I mean you get fooled into digging more iron. I don't have a problem getting fooled with the 11".

I really don't know what if anything I'm doing wrong with the 6" other than probably not using it enough. Maybe it reacts different enough you have to actually learn the 6" coil.

I just tested at full sens set to 25 and even with chattering badly, I still had dimes reading 25, 6 inches or at ground level. I'd personally wonder about the "only used once" 6 inch, second hand coil. jm2c

Ok I did a factory reset and it is better now. I was able to get the same numbers from touching to 6" inches from a quarter and a dime I tested. Anything above 6" I lost a VDI for a dime. I used a yard stick standing up off the ground next the two coins I tested. I am now getting a 28 VDI for the quarter and a 25 VDI for a dime at 6" above them.

I just tested at full sens set to 25 and even with chattering badly, I still had dimes reading 25, 6 inches or at ground level. I'd personally wonder about the "only used once" 6 inch, second hand coil. jm2c

I believe it was only used once there was little to no wear on the ears of the coil. I was tinkering with the iron bias before I reset the machine, maybe that had something to do with the VDI numbers I was getting.

I believe it was only used once there was little to no wear on the ears of the coil. I was tinkering with the iron bias before I reset the machine, maybe that had something to do with the VDI numbers I was getting.

I'd do a factory preset(FP) and not touch the iron bias then. I don't stray far from the factory presets. Your 11" factory coil should also have the same anomaly just like it is anyway, to a slightly different scale maybe. Good luck.

I saw you already did this and got regular results. Happy hunting.

Just to add though. I don't use any iron bias of any kind. I like it raw, and rusty bottle caps are never enough of a problem to mix in more settings. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'd do a factory preset(FP) and not touch the iron bias then. I don't stray far from the factory presets. Your 11" factory coil should also have the same anomaly just like it is anyway, to a slightly different scale maybe. Good luck.

I saw you already did this and got regular results. Happy hunting.

Just to add though. I don't use any iron bias of any kind. I like it raw, and rusty bottle caps are never enough of a problem to mix in more settings. Hope this helps.

Thank you for suggestions on no iron bias. So you will run either FE 0 or F2 0, I guess they would be the same since they are both at zero.

Just do a factory reset with coil installed and stick with one of the preset modes. After you test drive that for a while and get comfortable with the machine then play around with the settings. But honestly, the presets are pretty darn good for most hunting conditions. And by the way, I think the 6"er is a killer coil. I won't leave home without it! Good luck!

Just do a factory reset with coil installed and stick with one of the preset modes. After you test drive that for a while and get comfortable with the machine then play around with the settings. But honestly, the presets are pretty darn good for most hunting conditions. And by the way, I think the 6"er is a killer coil. I won't leave home without it! Good luck!

Thank you. What do you feel is the depth this coil can reach?

Thank you. What do you feel is the depth this coil can reach?

There are a lot of variables to that question, but in short, about the same as the standard coil. But, a good realistic range of of 6-8" for single targets with a consistent vdi and audio. The deeper you go, you may just get audio and those you dig. But then again, some guys will claim they can find small targets 10-12+" and I don't know how they do it...lol.

There are a lot of variables to that question, but in short, about the same as the standard coil. But, a good realistic range of of 6-8" for single targets with a consistent vdi and audio. The deeper you go, you may just get audio and those you dig. But then again, some guys will claim they can find small targets 10-12+" and I don't know how they do it...lol.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom