What can i find in a mine?...

HoosierTide

I bought the detector specifically to hunt in an old Civil War iron ore mine. I've already found some RR tracks, spikes, and some other tool which I'm unsure of its purpose. The tracks were about 18 inches deep. The mine was carved out of a hill, not like a tunnel. Any ideas of what I might find or tips to look for? Are the RR tracks worth anything? They're at least 150 years old. I'm definitely enjoying the search. Been reading the board for a couple weeks now and have enjoyed many of the threads! Any feedback is much appreciated!

Wow RR tracks, that is a good one, they are if you have a train? :lol:

Really they would have a scrap value if you have permission to remove them and are able to do so. Of course if they are indeed a 150 years old the historical society and archeologists are going to want a piece of the action too, but now turned your hobby into work :shock:

Something else you might find in a mine, Hoosier, is TROUBLE.

Be careful bro. Those old shafts have reached a balance over the decades and sometimes it doesn't take much to cause disaster.

Note to self...

do not post after midnight! It was 3:00 am local time. :?:

a little more information...The mine is more of a hole in a hill and not a shaft or tunnel or anything. No chance of it collapsing since it's wide open. The old mine used to feed Tannehill Iron works which made ammunition during the civil war but was started around 1840 or before. Tannehill was destroyed during the war by those darn Yankees. :D (I'm originally from Indy and full Yankee) There used to be a train track from this mine to Tannehill but the RR was taken out long ago. the tracks i found must have been discarded since they were not secured to anything. one is 3.5 feet the other is 4 feet in length and both are much smaller in diameter than today's RR tracks. These may have only been used for mining carts or something. Yes, the constant beeping from the rocks was annoying like Monday morning's alarm clock but I'm much better at recognizing false reads. I'm having a great time searching for stuff and was hoping to gain information from someone that has experienced something similar. Thanks for all the replies! btw, iron scrap is about $85/ tonne. I doubt I find $20 worth but it's fun!

I use my Scorpion Gold Stinger in mines to look for ore bodies. Here is a few on my claims.

100_0402.jpg

100_0404.jpg

N.M Prospector said:
I use my Scorpion Gold Stinger in mines to look for ore bodies. Here is a few on my claims.

I had to look at that twice, I thought you said you look for Old Bodies :shock: :shock:

more guts than this here bouy!

From the land ofthe Bluenose.....going under ground is for gophers and ants. Mister an you got game. neat post and keep us a breast of your spilinking! 8)

Back
Top Bottom