Can you squeak out older coins?

ne_seeker

I am wondering what kind of luck others have in squeaking out older coins.

Several sites I have researched and visited seem to be likely locations for finding Indians, Barbers, etc. but I have not located any early finds yet. Examples are 100+ year old homesites (now a field) and a park site that was used heavily for 75+ years.

Even though it's probable that some of the sites have been detected over the years, I have gotten some wheats (1930's-50's) and a couple of Mercs but am still looking for pre-1900 coins.

In your experiences, have you been able to usually find a few early coins in spots like these? My hope is that there are still some left that I have passed over due to my lack of experience!

Logic tells me there should be some of these finds left... on the good side, there are a couple of good trashy areas (old trash) I can still try to clean up looking for deeper stuff.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I thought that I had cleaned out this area I have been hunting, I was getting no signals when I swung and almost quit it as being tapped out. Instead of moving on, I started gridding the area, put on headphones and slowed down big time. Swung over two or more times in the same spot, when I heard a break in the humming I took more care. I found my first 1800 coin, a indian head penny dated 1890. I cannot emphasize more that you have to have patience. By doing this I have found all kinds of coins, marine emblems and spoons. Not to mention keys that are old. Don't give up, again take your time and hang in there. Remember the expression, "good things come to those who wait".

NE...Spittfire..Recently had a similar experience, I had good reason to believe there were good finds in a spot. ..Didnt have any real good luck till I got out of a discriminating mode and went into all-metal,and SSSLLOOOWWED down. Not even walking,swing over an area and overlapping the swings a few times...digging signals that came up out of the iron range..Then take another step..Just found a bunch of 1800's and early 1900's coins doing this.
The MXT will find the deepies.

Good Luck

JimInPhilly

I have did this at an old home site and came out BIG. Every time i hit this site i get something. Not always coins but real old neat stuff. Skeleton keys, civil war buttons, musket balls, spoons, and lots of coins. Also look for marbles, glass buttons, and arrowheads. You will be surprized at what you WILL find.

Some years back I did this "hunted out" park, as a couple guys called it. I went slow and low on the disc and listened for those whispers. They were usually older coins.
If you put your detector on a table and turn it on , then hold a coin and pass it over the coil. as you do this and slowly move away from the coil it will become a whisper at one point. This is exactly what is happening in the ground.
You probably already know this but thought I'd mention it for anyone who doesn't. Steve in so az

Back
Top Bottom