Mysterious Silver Ring

goldpaninut

I was out with my Whites MXT All Pro a few days ago and found this silver ring along a trail. It was very shallow and hadn't been lost too long. There is multiple inscriptions inside which say, "United States of America", "Liberty", "In God We Trust", and something I just can't make out like -AF....DOl-- Has anyone ever seen a ring like this who might know what the other inscription is and where it came from?

Attachments

• IMG_3211.jpg
    IMG_3211.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Well, thanks to you folks I think I've figured out what kind ring this is! If it is a coin ring it is made from a silver half dollar, either a Standing Liberty or Franklin half. And the unreadable part probably once read "half dollar". Thanks "cellrdwellr", I think you've nailed the identity of this misplaced ring!

Wouldn't AF DOL be from HALF DOLLAR ?
either way awesome find/awesome ring
Like to have one like that,
wonder why they chose to put the words on the inside?
I'd like to have them on the outside, if I had one made for me....

Wouldn't AF DOL be from HALF DOLLAR ?
either way awesome find/awesome ring
Like to have one like that,
wonder why they chose to put the words on the inside?
I'd like to have them on the outside, if I had one made for me....
That style ring isn't hard to make, but tedious. Start by tapping around the outside of the half dollar with the back of a spoon, gradually 'flattening' the outside of the coin to the desired width/size. The center is then drilled out and edges smoothed. That's why there's no lettering on the outside. I've made one myself.

That style ring isn't hard to make, but tedious. Start by tapping around the outside of the half dollar with the back of a spoon, gradually 'flattening' the outside of the coin to the desired width/size. The center is then drilled out and edges smoothed. That's why there's no lettering on the outside. I've made one myself.

I think everybody should make themselves a silver ring out of a coin just once in their Life...My first attempt, 38yrs ago, I made one for my Wife...I presented it to her with great flair and proudness.....

She took one look at it and exclaimed..."Oh, how nice! You are so sweet! What did you make this out of? A nail?" :laughing::laughing: So OK..I made her a 'Gold' one later out of a scrap brass toilet tank float valve rod...! :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom