Possible Bucket-Lister - Pocket watch?

Awendaw

Forum Supporter
Hit the big swamp behind the house and hit these two items. Pretty sure its an old pocket watch! I'll try to start cleaning it to get some more details. What y'all think?

Attachments

• php8nSftPPM.jpg
    php8nSftPPM.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 292
  • phpOxVn1JPM.jpg
    phpOxVn1JPM.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 286
  • phptUm0TkPM.jpg
    phptUm0TkPM.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 285
Sure looks like it to me.
Great find, now let me clue you in on something that could possibly be great.
I found a similar watch once, it was near the bank of a lake and had to be there for years.
It came up black like yours, real thick and couldn't even wash it off in the water.
I brought it home and took a green scrubby to it and a whole lot of elbow grease and it took awhile but eventually I cleaned off a little patch of metal on the back and I almost fell over when I saw it.

You know how people keep talking about how gold and silver comes up out of the ground clean and you can usually tell them from junk and clad?
This is true most of the time but not all the time...and especially if any of that precious metal of either kind has been sitting in a moist environment for a long time.

I took my time and finally cleaned up my watch and it took hours of hard scrubbing but the results were, well, you can see it in the pics below.

Cross your fingers and scrub that thing, could be even better than you think.
Congrats and good luck!

Attachments

• P1040823 (1).jpg
    P1040823 (1).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 307
  • P1040824 (2).jpg
    P1040824 (2).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Difinitely looks like a pocket watch to me. Just like DIGGER27 I found an intact silver one that looked like it was dropped yesterday. Yours may not be silver or gold (or it might be after you clean it up) but it is still a pocket watch and cool nevertheless!

If you do get to the point of opening it try some oil on the hinges first. If you are lucky the hinges may loosen up without snapping. I snapped 2 out of 3 of the hinge covers until I got smart on the third and final dust cover to reveal the watch works.

Good Luck - You never know what you'll find!
Nice Silver GW Quarter too. :yes:

Attachments

• 100_5138.jpg
    100_5138.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_5155 _RESIZE.jpg
    100_5155 _RESIZE.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 237
Thanks for the pics. It's definitely a pocket watch! I'll try to get started cleaning it up this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom