Father of Pac-Man passes away...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/30/japanese-arcade-pioneer-and-father-pac-man-has-died.html

Hard to believe now but back in 1980 when this game hit the arcades there was nothing else like it at the time.
I was into pinball games more and got pretty good and it was two years before another favorite, Zaxxon, came out.
There was Space Invaders and Asteroids but most games at that time were pretty primitive shooters, heck even Pong that came out 8 years earlier captivated the nation...but not like this one.
This was totally different and created a new genre...it became a phenomenon.

This game has not only gobbled up all those millions of dots but more quarters than most any other arcade game before or since.
Estimated $2.5 billion by the 1990's.

We lived in a simpler time back then, simple games for a more innocent and simple people...and we liked it that way.

Last edited:
I pumped a lot of quarters in those machines, throughout the 80s. Local arcades, roller rinks, pizza joint hanging out,
Trying to learn the Pac man Apple pattern, or get a new personal high score.
I wonder how many silver quarters were gobbled up by those addictive coin thirsty machines? As my last man got killed no more extra lives, exclaiming," I GOT RIPPED OFF!"
Quickly dipping my free hand into my osh kosh blue jeans looking for another coin to, "TRY OR PLAY AGAIN....."
The 80s was a wonderful decade to grow up in.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Never played it in the arcades to busy working. I remember getting one on something for the kids at home.:lol: Those little ghost were always gobbling me up just didn't have the right coordination.:laughing:

I remember pissin away some Q's on Centipede and Space Invaders...At O'Haras Bar and Grill on 33rd and 3rd in St Cloud MN back in the late 70's? After work of course... Both were horizontal shooting games...Not running around in a gobbly maze like PacMan....You had to lead and swing, lead and swing!:laughing: like shooting electrical ducklings I suppose? Of course I was drinking, so everything seemed like fun and/or a good idea at the time...

I actually managed to pick up a beautiful Chick there one night even! 1980! I was just a stupid kid with a good job, lotsa money, but no game at all and not even a car! I rode a bicycle everywhere, in Minnesota, year round! (Thats why I had so much money) An event I'll never forget! Looking back, I dont know how in the hell I did it!

I think it was a 'one off' kind of deal? I doubt I could do it again, I'm a lot poorer and fatter with less game than in my youth if that is possible, and my car is a total joke....She musta liked how I looked in my bell bottoms and platform shoes? Plus, I was saving the Planet from the Space Invaders and Centipedes pretty damn goodly..

She musta thought, "Anybody that can ride a bicycle in bell bottoms and shoes like that, hit those Space Invaders, drink like a fish, might have some potential as a trustworthy and steady mate?" She may have thought I was Italian? It was closing time, and my slurred accent sounded Continental? I'm not really sure...I was so young! I dont think I shaved yet, except for my legs of course, as all dedicated bicyclers do...

38yrs ago! I wonder what shes doing now a days? Oh yeah, at this very moment, Shes asleep upstairs! Snoring peacefully like an idling steam engine, or a hibernating Grizzly with sleep apnea! :laughing: Probably dreaming of a bright future with somebody, like with the trumpet player in the band 'Spirit of St Louis' which was playing that night at O'Haras I recall....Maybe I'll put some soft brass music on the bose, shave my legs, splash on some AquaVelva or Old Spice, and slide up on in there? For Old Times sake? Oh hell I'm rambling again! It was a phenomenon though...

Thanks for the Memories D27!

Last edited:
I remember when my little brother figured out the patterns to pac man and could beat the game etc.

One day when I was 11 and he was 10, we did what we always did, and we were hustling people for a $1 betting that my brother could beat their scores.... and a tall kid, older than us came in, and we ran our hustle on him, and he lost. When it came time to pay up, he decided that he wouldn't and that meant that we all had to take it outside in the snow. We had been shoveling snow, which is how we got money....

When we got out there and wanted our money, he punched me in the face, when he did my brother hit him in the back of the legs with a snow shovel and he slipped, then he caught his balance and went to punch my brother, and when he did I smacked him on top of his shoulder with MY shovel, which was a regular shovel, and ultimately I broke his shoulder... he never did pay up, but later in life I knew him, and he said bad weather, rain etc and his shoulder would always hurt! So, he learned a valuable lesson that day, don't try to beat up two brothers, and pay your pac man debts, or else!

Remember me John Cottrell? :lol:

I remember when my little brother figured out the patterns to pac man and could beat the game etc.

One day when I was 11 and he was 10, we did what we always did, and we were hustling people for a $1 betting that my brother could beat their scores.... and a tall kid, older than us came in, and we ran our hustle on him, and he lost. When it came time to pay up, he decided that he wouldn't and that meant that we all had to take it outside in the snow. We had been shoveling snow, which is how we got money....

When we got out there and wanted our money, he punched me in the face, when he did my brother hit him in the back of the legs with a snow shovel and he slipped, then he caught his balance and went to punch my brother, and when he did I smacked him on top of his shoulder with MY shovel, which was a regular shovel, and ultimately I broke his shoulder... he never did pay up, but later in life I knew him, and he said bad weather, rain etc and his shoulder would always hurt! So, he learned a valuable lesson that day, don't try to beat up two brothers, and pay your pac man debts, or else!

Remember me John Cottrell? :lol:

I freaking LOVE this post! :laughing: Two little guys with snowshovels, with commitment and bravery, team effort affiliation?...Yeah, just pay the damn dollar! It sometimes takes a few tries for stupid people to learn about this dynamic...good on ya for teaching a lesson!...

Back
Top Bottom