What are your best surface finds ?

MattLock

Elite Member
For me it has to be the Indian head penny from the parking lot a gold ring off of the amusement ride and recently a war nickel from a parish panic. I found it because it was on a slope and all the dirt washed away around it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 518
Barber dime

Found this on a construction site after some rain:D
I Literally walked up on it.

Attachments

• 6-29-13 Barber on surface.jpg
    6-29-13 Barber on surface.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 566
1902 Barber. Blew my ears off as there wasn't anything new or shallow at the old house and had the phones cranked to hear the deep tones. A root had been holding that dime there for decades...just waiting for me. :D

barber1.jpg

barber2.jpg

An old pure gold woman's ring on a small section of an old soccer field after heavy rains where the sandy soil was slowly being eroded down. Rang up as a nickle on the Racer 2. Someone had stepped on it.
26082016_2_zpszn8jbvha.jpg

26082016_3_zps6vso1qhd.jpg

26082016_5_zps6zgoxsbr.jpg

The area is filled with iron. Looking at the sandy area on the surface one can actually see small rusty iron and nails all over the place. Went back the next with the small 5" coil to grid the small area. Found another ring on the surface where the erosion was taking place. It had also been stepped on. I did not notice one section was broken off. Went back after 5 days (had no time) and really searched for small solid upper foil signals and found the broken off segment of the flower. Now complete with 9 stones.

280816_1_zpsa8rwdifr.jpg

280816_2_zpsrmw8ohlq.jpg

Haven't found anything more in that small section other than vast amounts of little pieces of bronze, copper and iron. Most of them the size of a grain of rice.

Fired 3 ring bullet in a washout on the Brandy Station Virginia battlefield. Dropped 3 ring bullet on the earthworks of Fort Blakely Alabama.

I don't have a picture of it but I stopped to check my mail in a row of mailboxes one day and there was a diamond encrusted cocktail ring laying on the ground right below the boxes. I just open the car door and picked it up. I ran an ad in the paper for the person who lost it for 30 days ,nobody claimed it.

Last edited:
All of these were found in farm fields where long ago where 1880's houses once stood
An 1889 Indian Head
3 Frozen Charlottes
Multi colored glass inlay-ed button

Arrowhead was found in my backyard, while a pond was being dug. (penny for size reference)

Attachments

• IMAG0200[1].jpg
    IMAG0200[1].jpg
    65 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0194[1].jpg
    IMAG0194[1].jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 333
  • IMAG0195[1].jpg
    IMAG0195[1].jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMAG0153[1].jpg
    IMAG0153[1].jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAG0151[1].jpg
    IMAG0151[1].jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMAG0288[1].jpg
    IMAG0288[1].jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 350
For me it has to be the Indian head penny from the parking lot a gold ring off of the amusement ride and recently a war nickel from a parish panic. I found it because it was on a slope and all the dirt washed away around it

You did good Matt

Found on the surface and didn't even need a detector to find it. Hands down the best I've ever found above or before ground.

GL & HH

Attachments

• both.jpg
    both.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 330
Found this on the beach while detecting last month. It was wet like it just washed up out of the ocean.

http://imgur.com/a/RbLbE

I like to think the MD gods were rewarding me with gas money.

Happened to me a couple of months ago. Pulled into a gravel parking lot at the park, got my equipment out of the Jeep , reached down to extend the lower shaft on the Deus and found a folded up $20.00 bill right next to the coil!

1876 seated quarter. Figured it was a surface bullet, sluffed off the surface dust with my boot, there it was. No digging required.......

No picture but many years ago I found 3 $20 bills under the bleachers at an old baseball diamond. They had been there a long time because they were hard and stiff from numerous rains and sun drying.

20$ in a golden easter egg last year, and during my first season found a 1942 merc on the surface. HH!

Attachments

• IMG_20150824_082723.jpg
    IMG_20150824_082723.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 246
Well if we're counting bills, not just metal stuff, I did find 6 $20 bills folded up on the ground outside a target a couple years ago.......

Back
Top Bottom