Moral dilemma

Chipk

Elite Member
Had a dental appointment yesterday at Jacksonville Beach so took the Sovereign along so I could tap the low tide after. I started hunting north of the pier and collected a decent handful of clad and then ventured south a bit.

The crowd here was much smaller but would soon increase dramatically. I didn't find anything and the heat was getting me so I started back and then I saw a baseball cap lying alone in the sand. I often collect abandoned clothes, towels and trash as I hunt and drop them in the often unused trash cans. I had already deposited a broken pair of sandals and a solitary child's shoe so I picked up the cap. To my surprise there was a large heavy herringbone silver chain woven around the back strap with the remainder in a ball inside the cap. I looked around and there wasn't a soul within 100-150 yards of this unexpected treasure. The cap was damp and it's possible the tide had dropped it off. I raised it over my head and waved it around for a couple of minutes but nobody responded.

If there had been a pair of shoes or a drink or something with it, I'd have immediately dropped it back. But by itself it was unusual. Once I found an open purse sitting on an empty beach. I could see the wallet and other items but there was nobody within a mile and after guarding it for a half hour, I called 911 thinking perhaps there had been a suicide. An officer came and took my report but before he left a couple we had observed walking about a mile away came up and claimed the purse. They had simply left the purse on the sand. I was having moments of deja vue.

I knew in no time it was likely someone less honest would probably walk off with the hat and chain. So I tucked it into my trash pouch where it was very visible and slowly walked back towards my vehicle. Twice I was approached by young men I was sure would claim it but neither did. So I sat in my Jeep and called the police to find out where Lost and Found was located. I drove there and gave a report. In 90 days if it's still there! I can claim it.

I felt kind of bad in taking it but wasn't sure what I should have done. Hopefully the owner will be united with it.

Later I went to Fernandina Beach. I had hunted there the day before but lightning had chased me off before I had much time to swing and today I found two rings. One is a junket but the second is a huge heavy silver band that I was happy to claim.

Maybe Karma is patting me on the head....

You did all you could do! Props

Yep..X2! Good job and great post for others to read and learn from so when something like this eventually happens to them, and it WILL...They wont have to try to figure out what to do on their own...just follow your lead here..

We find stuff, its what we do...we cant help it..
Mud

I was hunting in a park a couple of years ago and at the side of the road near the parking area I picked up a fully loaded purse.
Wallet with cards and money, cell phone, keys...packed full.
I called a number on the cell and got the owner's brother in New York who posted something on his niece's Facebook page.
She got an alert and looked at her phone and called him and he said some wack job had just called him and said he had just found her mother's purse who was sitting right next to her in the car at the time.
They had just drove away from the park and she didn't even know her purse was even missing.
They had loaded up their car after spending time hanging out near a big lake and she had just left it next to the car on the ground and forgot it when they drove off.
I met them at the front entrance of the park a few minutes later and gave it back, she called her brother, gave the phone to me and we laughed about it because he thought it was a scam or I had just kidnapped her or something, honesty like this in this day and age is not a normal thing.
They tried to give me a reward but I turned it down and told them the good karma I would probably get out of all of this would be enough.

About a week later I found a beautiful 22-24k gold ring with a natural pearl and went on to find 5 more gold targets to hit a crazy goal I had to find 12 gold targets for the year in the dirt in public parks...this was 2013, I called it the Great Quest for Gold.

Don't discount Karma...it's real and you now got some.

Attachments

• lake 2.jpg
    lake 2.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 523
  • purse.jpg
    purse.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 553
  • P1040295 (2).jpg
    P1040295 (2).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 615
Years ago I saw a small purse laying in the middle of a local road where there were several stores etc. I passed it by and then decided I should have a closer look.

Turned my work van around and parked alongside the purse and recovered it from near the street's centerline! Inside there was a wallet with a few greenbacks and several food stamps. I found a drivers license and traveled the several miles out to a local lakeside house where a young woman answered the door, took one look, grabbed the purse and shut the door in my face!!!:roll:

The purse had obviously been placed on top of the car and left there as the young woman drove away and I hope she learned something from the experience. As for me---I would do it again!!:yes:

I was hunting in a park a couple of years ago and at the side of the road near the parking area I picked up a fully loaded purse.
Wallet with cards and money, cell phone, keys...packed full.
I called a number on the cell and got the owner's brother in New York who posted something on his niece's Facebook page.
She got an alert and looked at her phone and called him and he said some wack job had just called him and said he had just found her mother's purse who was sitting right next to her in the car at the time.
They had just drove away from the park and she didn't even know her purse was even missing.
They had loaded up their car after spending time hanging out near a big lake and she had just left it next to the car on the ground and forgot it when they drove off.
I met them at the front entrance of the park a few minutes later and gave it back, she called her brother, gave the phone to me and we laughed about it because he thought it was a scam or I had just kidnapped her or something, honesty like this in this day and age is not a normal thing.
They tried to give me a reward but I turned it down and told them the good karma I would probably get out of all of this would be enough.

About a week later I found a beautiful 22-24k gold ring with a natural pearl and went on to find 5 more gold targets to hit a crazy goal I had to find 12 gold targets for the year in the dirt in public parks...this was 2013, I called it the Great Quest for Gold.

Don't discount Karma...it's real and you now got some.

I posted this in May when a young lady called me "demanding" I come to her house to find a ring she had lost in her backyard. The ring belonged to her late mother and she was frantic. It was hot, I was tired and it's an hour drive but I agreed to come if I could hunt the whole yard. It's a well-to-do older neighborhood and I love hunting the area. She agreed.

I got there and almost immediately found her ring. She insisted on giving me some gas money and handed me $40. I reminded her that I wanted to hunt her yard and her attitude changed tremendously. She said I could hunt but not dig any holes and shoved me out the door.

There were few targets in her front yard but behind a bush I got a penny-dime signal. 4" down I find this 11" gold-silver-diamond bracelet. My jeweler said it had to have been underground at least 50 years. My wife adores it.

Karma has already blessed me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 446
I posted this in May when a young lady called me "demanding" I come to her house to find a ring she had lost in her backyard. The ring belonged to her late mother and she was frantic. It was hot, I was tired and it's an hour drive but I agreed to come if I could hunt the whole yard. It's a well-to-do older neighborhood and I love hunting the area. She agreed.

I got there and almost immediately found her ring. She insisted on giving me some gas money and handed me $40. I reminded her that I wanted to hunt her yard and her attitude changed tremendously. She said I could hunt but not dig any holes and shoved me out the door.

There were few targets in her front yard but behind a bush I got a penny-dime signal. 4" down I find this 11" gold-silver-diamond bracelet. My jeweler said it had to have been underground at least 50 years. My wife adores it.

Karma has already blessed me!

I remember that post. You dealt with it better than I would have!

Years ago I saw a small purse laying in the middle of a local road where there were several stores etc. I passed it by and then decided I should have a closer look.

Turned my work van around and parked alongside the purse and recovered it from near the street's centerline! Inside there was a wallet with a few greenbacks and several food stamps. I found a drivers license and traveled the several miles out to a local lakeside house where a young woman answered the door, took one look, grabbed the purse and shut the door in my face!!!:roll:

The purse had obviously been placed on top of the car and left there as the young woman drove away and I hope she learned something from the experience. As for me---I would do it again!!:yes:

I had that happen to me with a ring return... that's why when I go hunting any morals I have stay in the truck... I am 100% pirate when I hunt... If you don't want to lose it twice, don't wear it.

I had that happen to me with a ring return... that's why when I go hunting any morals I have stay in the truck... I am 100% pirate when I hunt... If you don't want to lose it twice, don't wear it.

When I return a precious object recovered from the water (50 rings at last count) I caution the owner that should I ever find it again it will not be returned!!

They have been warned!!!!!!!!!!:D

When I return a precious object recovered from the water (50 rings at last count) I caution the owner that should I ever find it again it will not be returned!!

They have been warned!!!!!!!!!!:D

Funny story... I was at a wholesale club and watched a guy drive away with his fat wallet on the roof of his SUV .. I recovered it and counted $600 in the wallet... I found his drivers licence and called him on my cell phone asking him if he was missing something.. after silence I told him I have his wallet and would be waiting for him at the wholesale club... 15 minutes pass and he returns with his wife in tow and she is screaming at him calling him things I can't repeat here... she grabbed it from me, he thanked me and they left.. I laughed at him being such a wimp... and no they didn't offer nor did I ask for anything.

Sad story, last year in OC MD 6 am...I ran into a hunter (Bill) that said he seen a purse and shoes on the shore with no one around. As he passed he just let it go like they may have been near. But on his return back up the shore he seen a body rolling around in the surf with several people assisting the recovery. He was fairly shaken from the experience.

Back
Top Bottom