Been awhile...

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
With only one water hunt in early January so far this year in Japan and a short uneventful wet and dry hunt in New Zealand a few weeks ago I knew my water hunting fitness level was at an all time low. :(

So had to get back into it, picked a nice light dry sand beach as a build up for water hunting that I had hunted late last year but found it replenished again!!! with at least 2 foot of can slaw and iron riddled sand. Hit the wet and found it loaded with good targets unusual for this beach at any time of year usually just real soft deep sand, must have been the strong winds the weekend before and still some good surf coming in.
All the targets were still mixed up, finding deep light stuff then shallow heavy stuff. Was going to take it easy but the number of coins and silver finds got me going full on, ending up hunting for 6 1/2hours before dragging myself off the beach and off to work.

Had to work that night and the next day but had the morning and afternoon off the following day so got up early and headed back out to the same beach. Found much the same conditions but more of the light stuff. Those stainless rings had me going when I saw them in the scoop, also got this strange signal and man it was deep as I was digging down to it I realized it was too big to be anything good but wanted to know what it was, ended up pulling out a wheel from a valve must have been the Excal picking up the broken off bronze shaft still on the wheel.
About the same time my knuckles were dragging I found this monster knuckle on the high tide line. Total for the two days, 8 silver 1 silver coin and 197 clad coins.
Mentally I'm feeling quite good after all that exercise, physically it only hurts when I move. :lol:

HH&GL

Day one
E191FF74-D77D-403E-95B1-D988EB70384E-7227-00000E191D5E1DCD.jpg

Day two, 6 hour hunt.
F4A04FFC-F7B1-4889-9445-C1C9F9731EF2-7170-00000E0CD1EC593B.jpg

Found this old square hole coin have found a few them in the past, not worth much but like finding them and this one is in real good condition considering it's from the wet. Issued from 1636-1769
873DFD3A-1918-4BD8-BA9A-8F9C604D54E9-7227-00000E1285ED87CD.jpg

95EB7AD2-B230-4FCC-A7BA-A42DD177DFA5-7170-00000E0CCC1A8D5E.jpg

37E99C73-8D49-4039-B116-57031EC7F8EA-7170-00000E0CC55E4FF4.jpg

FB2D784F-73D7-4CF0-BF72-129ED7A66694-7170-00000E0CBF62ACA3.jpg

Nice hunts 18K

Nice finds!!

They aught to pay you for cleaning the beach lol.

Ice is finally melting here, hope to get out soon.
361e4250f789fc655820300228be6af7.jpg

3d0c3a6d9ce941ab02c4e0af318ec172.jpg

Very nice silver collection. I was in Okinawa for 3 years and never tried detecting. SAD.

Unbelievable with all those tabs a gold something didn't find its way into your scoop! Good luck next time.

Hey good to see you back at it! Good results too...love the two Tiffanys and the old 'kanei tsuho'....never found one of those in the water before. Nice clad count too. Let me know if you're thinking of heading down this way this spring and we'll hook up for a hunt and a cold beer (or two). Possibly at our spot on the lake? :yes:

Good job G ;) Where is the yellow and platinum your beaches are famous for? :D

You sure dug enough junk :lol:

Thats some nice diggin. Lot of targets there. I like all those old coins you get off the beach op your way. Still no Japanese silver coins here. Hunts like that you can almost smell the gold and its really surprising when it doesn't pop out. Those stainless tones, I'm really sceptical now. Still disappointing when you're looking hard at night and it just seems a bit too shiny......or you see etching rather than stamping....

Nice finds!!

They aught to pay you for cleaning the beach lol.

Ice is finally melting here, hope to get out soon.

Thanks Guys, got a friend from Michigan who moved to Australia to get away from those Michigan winters now I can see why. Man that water looks cold. He was always talking about the winds off the lake. :cold:

Don't worry this beach has been real good to me ;)

Great looking haul 18k! Hard to stop when you are on top of it eh!

:lol: yeah no will power that's me. Just can't help myself when I get onto the good stuff :lol:
Unbelievable with all those tabs a gold something didn't find its way into your scoop! Good luck next time.

Thanks ScubaDetector was thinking the same thing :yes: seem to get a lot of clad with a few silver rings and the odd gold from time to time and yet to score Plat from this beach. Every now and then it gives me a good keeper maybe next time eh.

Wild finds, good job on the silver and clad. I would still be happy.

Good thing you didn't drain the ocean when you pulled out that valve wheel... you never know :roll::laughing::D

You mentioned these were wet sand finds, wet sand that is usually deep and soft. So did you get some more solid wet sand this time around? Hard packed with shells and small rocks mixed in?

Your are getting back in stride quite nicely Friend!!:thumbsup:

GL&HH,

CJ

Thanks CJ, hope that sand moves out for you soon, love seeing that yellow stuff in your posts :yes:

Hey good to see you back at it! Good results too...love the two Tiffanys and the old 'kanei tsuho'....never found one of those in the water before. Nice clad count too. Let me know if you're thinking of heading down this way this spring and we'll hook up for a hunt and a cold beer (or two). Possibly at our spot on the lake? :yes:

Thanks Dave, kind of out of touch with the older Japanese coins can't seem to find my coin book. That coin doesn't have a mint mark on it so the issue dates are even older than I thought. 1636-1769. A hunt and beer sounds great :yes:

Man that's a lot of trash...Congrats on the silvers and all the clad!

Thanks Capt, you should have seen the trash I hauled of the dry when I first started hunting this beach. It was more like a dump than a beach. Would take the trash home and once a month would load up the back of the small Nissan March I had at the time and take it to the transfer station, even had to use the back seat there was so much of it. Back then thought if I cleaned it up real good it would stay clean just didn't know about the trashy replenishment back then. First time I saw this beach I didn't even get out of the car it looked so nasty. :lol:

Some nice stuff to start with...like others I remember.......now get to it.
Good luck.
Pop out that yellow and platinum
See ya.

Thanks Max, will do. I'm waiting for your next report from the land of Nada :yes:

man, that is a pile of digging,,,,and some good digging at that,,,,,,I bet if you went back you would pick up the gold that is under all that stuff,,,,great couple hunts! GL HH

Back
Top Bottom