TOTALLY AWESOME Treasure Coast Day!

Zoidberg661

Hey there fellow detectorists, I haven't been posting in a while, work is all consuming and until yesterday I had not gone detecting in quite a few months. In fact, yesterday, Thursday March 14th all I was planning on doing was going surfing in the nice 4-6 foot waves that were crashing from Palm Beach all the way up to Cocoa Beach. I got to Ft Pierce around 8:30 AM and actually decided to to wait on the tide for better surf as the waves were super disorganized and rough, plus it was freakin cold! I got back in the car and headed north from Ft Pierce towards a locals break I know a few miles up the road in the heart of the Treasure Coast but when I got there, the conditions were the same, ggrrr, so I decided to grab my Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and go do some scanning to kill time.

I found nothing at all for the better part of the morning/afternoon, a few nails and junk but not so much as a even a penny. I was going to leave but I ran into another metal detectorist hunting with a Minelab (Xterra I think). We chatted for a bit and laughed how we were finding nothing but nails and fishing lures/sinkers. He told me the area I was in was a really good treasure hunting area statistically as many finds have been dug over the years. BTW, I didn't catch his name but if you are reading this, thanks for leaving the fishing sinker/leader/hook rig at my vehicle, gonna use it this weekend :)

I thought my day was a total wash, no good surf, no good finds, my arms and back were killing me but after what the other detectorist guy told me about that area I decided to go back to my vehicle to have some lunch, try and get a second wind, and then head back out for some more scanning.

Finished my lunch and went back out on the sand to start searching again, found a very distinct shell line along the shore in this one particular area and decided to begin scanning it, there were hits everywhere on it. I found quite a few nails and odd shaped metal, then I got a solid signal and about 12 inches down I pulled the encrusted coin you see in the image. I couldn't believe it but wasn't going to get excited as I have found so many coins that have turned out to be nothing so I put it in my pouch and kept digging. The next hit sounded like it was right underneath the coil, very strong and loud so I started digging, and digging, and digging, and digging. I was getting very frustrated (and tired) as I was a solid 2 feet down and 3 feet wide in a hole and the signal was just as strong as it was when I began but no target. I dug so freakin deep there was water in the hole at the bottom and my feet were starting to sink in it while I dug, finally I was so pissed off from digging I shoved my hand into the sand on the bottom of the hole to see if I could feel whatever the signal was and felt something solid, I pulled with all my might and out came the encrusted handle/loop thin you see in the image. I couldn't believe what I was holding and looking at, and to be honest, I still don't know exactly what I am looking at. It appears to be a handle of some kind for a door or chest and is VERY HEAVY, it's completely encrusted with stones and shells and growth. I went back to my car immediately and put it away, then headed back to the same area. I couldn't believe it, first a coin then the handle thing. Kept scanning in the one area and found the black bar about a foot down. At that point my body was telling me the day was over, my back and my arms and my legs were cramping bad from squatting down and digging so I decided to finish up around 5:30 PM.

It was the best day of metal detecting I have ever had, now I need to figure out what the coin is, and how to properly clean all these finds without harming anything. Also gonna put these images in the "Help to ID My Finds" forum so if you have any ideas as to what that handle thing is or some tips on the proper way to clean these finds I would greatly appreciate it. Enjoy he images, i'm still in disbelief from these finds.......

PS - the camera I'm using is a piece of !!!!, will get better macro images of the coin when I can use a better camera.

Attachments

• coin_side1.jpg
    coin_side1.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 923
  • coin_side2.jpg
    coin_side2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 940
  • handle_thing.jpg
    handle_thing.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 924
  • bar_thing.jpg
    bar_thing.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 917
looks like a good day to me...Keep us informed on the encrusted..:thumbsup:

very nice finds. the coin looks promising. does it clank like a silver coin does when you drop it on a hard surface? as for the encrusted blob, it appears to be iron because of all the red stains. did you test it with a magnet? I don't know if you know anything about electrolysis cleaning, but that piece should be cleaned properly. it could be anything, and it might be quite valuable.

thanks for the magnet tip, can't believe I didn't think of that.
Answer: no, a magnet does not stick to any part of it.

Re: the coin, yes it clanks when dropped on a hard surface, love that sound :)

Not cleaning anything at all until I get lots and lots of feedback on how. Electrolysis seems to be the way to go but am gonna wait to see what anyone else says.

you should leave it soaking in freshwater until you decide what you're going to do with it. it will start to deteriorate rapidly if left exposed to air. I'm glad it's non ferrous, I'm excited for you.

Thanks for the water tip, I was actually thinking that. It's now in a cooler submerged in fresh water at room temp.

Welcome back to the world of hunting,,,,,:cool:nice of the fellow to give you some tips and the fishing gear,,,,,I don't think I will have to ever buy any fishing sinkers ever again,,,,:laughing:GL HH

That loop thing sure is cool looking with all the shells and rocks and such on it and I'd really like to leave it that way...only if I knew what they were covering! My curiosity would get the best of me though and I'd be doing what I could to get it cleaned. To me I would think it was something iron, so on that note, when you did the magnet test, you didn't use a small fridge magnet or the like did you? Those definitely won't cling to anything through all of that mess so make sure you are testing with something strong. Either way, a few cool finds there and good to see you get back out there, congrats!

NICE hunting! I see the Sea Hunter is still finding deep Spanish Treasure just like it did for Mel Fisher. :grin: Great machine and you used it well.

I would use electrolysis to clean the finds. You can make one out of almost any 12V power supply. If you don't have one, there are instruction all over the intermnet. I get the highest amp rating I can find in the boxes of them at the thrift stores for A $1.00 sometimes 50 cents.

thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it.

I DID in fact use a refrigerator magnet on the handle loop thingy and little black bar which didn't stick, unfortunately I don't have a magnet stronger than that, yet.....

I have been studying the coin under a jeweler loop and it's without a doubt silver, I can tell mostly by the indentations around the edge. The edge pits are all solid silver color metal and although it looks round, those edges are very uneven under close magnification. There are markings on it but I can't make out a clear design or date, yet.....

As for the little bar, still not sure.

I will for sure post some follow up messages to these finds as I get time to clean them and photo the coin with a better camera.

Still in shock.

Looks promising for electrolysis. Just be sure to never throw any black bars away where you are without checking them out good.If i lived that way i might just have a load of buckets with lids and fresh water and dump all my finds in it until i had time to check them. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom